Apple Revitalizes the iPad Lineup and Announces New Mac Mini and MacBook Air

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Apple has announced new models in the company's iPad lineup. The iPad Pro will come in 11-inch and 12.9-inch form factors with new features such as slimmer sides for edge-to-edge viewing, faster processors, Face ID, and an upgraded back camera. The product line will feature the A12X Bionic chip which allows for artificial intelligence processing, graphics and speed that matches the latest iPhone models. Apple significantly increased the cost of the new devices in relation to last year's models. The new 11-inch model will cost $799 and the top of the line iPad Pro model will set consumers back $1,899.

Apple also announced a new Mac mini desktop and MacBook Air. The $1199 MacBook Air will feature a 13.3" high-resolution Retina display, Touch ID security and Apple T2 Security Chip for on the fly encryption. It will be made from 100% recycled aluminum. The new Mac mini will feature up to a 6-core Intel i7, 64GB of ram, and 2TB of storage. It also has the Apple T2 Security Chip. The entire Apple event can be watched here. Thanks StryderxX !

The new models are also notable for what they lack: a home button, headphone jack and the Lightning connector used on Apple mobile devices since 2012. The headphone jack is gone in favor of Bluetooth headphones like AirPods, and the Lightning connector has been abandoned in favor of a USB-C port, the first time such a connector is being used on an iOS device. Besides the iPads themselves, Apple also announced a new version of its Apple Pencil accessory.

What's up with the screen ratio on the new iPads? I don't really follow Apple shit, have they released other tablets like this? Phones and displays keep getting wider and wider, and Apple thinks what people want is a square tablet?

I've had a couple of Macbooks apart, honestly they're horribly made. No water protection, really fragile HID components, a million kink points on their connectors, glued frames. The list goes on.

Considering how durable their phones and tablets have been it's kind of mind boggling how many corners they cut when they design notebooks.

You guys do not get it! It's APPLE! The subjugated buyer has no control over buying into this! It's APPLE!
We, the many minions, of the fruit company, cannot stop handing over our wallets when asked. It's APPLE!
It does not have to make sense! It's APPLE!
It does not have to solve any problems. It's APPLE!
What it has to do is be new, and techologically innovative and expensive,.....because it's APPLE!

Now, say it with me,.....it's APPLE! There,..I knew you could.

apple needs to watch themselves. the macbook is my 1st dev platform of choice but my $200 thinkpad with ubuntu is a close 2nd and can do absolutely everything i need for work. unless they start coming out with normal connectors they are not getting any of my upgrade $$$.

Not that I was considering it, but $150 price jump across all models for what? Face ID? I have the previous 10.5" iPad Pro. SLIGHT CPU performance increase, almost 2x on graphics (claimed) - well, I don't play any heavy duty games on it anyway. ANd face recognition instead of fingerprint. Seems like that is all this is buying me. Nope. Maybe if the price remained the same, but this is crazy. And the top of the line models? Why? A laptop at half the price can do more than a tablet.

apple needs to watch themselves. the macbook is my 1st dev platform of choice but my $200 thinkpad with ubuntu is a close 2nd and can do absolutely everything i need for work. unless they start coming out with normal connectors they are not getting any of my upgrade $$$.
There's at least 12,000 trendy youngsters to make up for every one person in this line of thinking.

What's up with the screen ratio on the new iPads? I don't really follow Apple shit, have they released other tablets like this? Phones and displays keep getting wider and wider, and Apple thinks what people want is a square tablet?

The success of the Surface line likely. Microsoft found a winning ratio with 3:2 (unless it's changed since the SP3, haven't kept up on them.) This new iPad though is going a little farther and hitting about 2.7:2 which is... excessive. But who knows, maybe it focus tested well in terms of usability for work load.

Is it odd that the only thing I found interesting is the new Mini?

THIS is why they are successful....

Apple-Magic-Dust.gif

No touch ID, no sale. Fuck that facial stuff. We are happy with our current generation iPad Pro's. work great, no need to waste more money.

Well, the touch part of the screen on my wife's iPad 4 is finally having issues. Probably going to have to buy another iPad in the not too distant future. Or maybe I can get away with buying an Android tablet... hmmmm.

I will say it has been very reliable ever since new. I bought it right after it was released in 2012. Not a bad run for a tablet.

Are the specs of the base mini really worth $799. As someone who's used Mac's for a long time and switch to Linux over the past year, I find this hard to swallow. I waited years to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro and passed on the trashcan and then then waited and waited and nothing. Now this... I think I'm officially done.

• 8GB of RAM
  • 3.6GHz Intel quad-core Core i3 processor
  • 128GB of storage.

I realize that they have to differentiate iPads from their previous models in order to sell them, but this is a bit silly.

The headless iMac has been as elusive as they've come pgwalsh lol. The $300 increase is just highway robbery.

The headless iMac has been as elusive as they've come pgwalsh lol. The $300 increase is just highway robbery.
I have a mid-2011 iMac as a holdover but I stopped using it as my PC is much faster. It's crazy to me what Apple is charging for these machines or the fact that they have a phone that's $1400. I guess they're priced for people in SFBA.

Are the specs of the base mini really worth $799. As someone who's used Mac's for a long time and switch to Linux over the past year, I find this hard to swallow. I waited years to upgrade my 2008 Mac Pro and passed on the trashcan and then then waited and waited and nothing. Now this... I think I'm officially done.

• 8GB of RAM
  • 3.6GHz Intel quad-core Core i3 processor
  • 128GB of storage.

I like how everyone thinks software is free and just magically makes itself...

Cant wait to get the new iPad Pro myself :)

Apple has announced new models in the company's iPad lineup. The iPad Pro will come in 11-inch and 12.9-inch form factors with new features such as slimmer sides for edge-to-edge viewing, faster processors, Face ID, and an upgraded back camera. The product line will feature the A12X Bionic chip which allows for artificial intelligence processing, graphics and speed that matches the latest iPhone models.

Great, now we'll have to deal with iBots holding up 12.9" tablets to take pictures/videos, and blocking the view of the people behind them.

Name another device that is the same size and offers 10GBe ethernet?

Great, now we'll have to deal with iBots holding up 12.9" tablets to take pictures/videos, and blocking the view of the people behind them.

You do realise iPad pro has been out for like 3yrs now yeah?

I've had a couple of Macbooks apart, honestly they're horribly made. No water protection, really fragile HID components, a million kink points on their connectors, glued frames. The list goes on.

Considering how durable their phones and tablets have been it's kind of mind boggling how many corners they cut when they design notebooks.

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 17" that is still going strong; just replaced the HDD with an SSD a year and half ago. It has been a rock. I am not a fan of their recent decision to make them difficult to replace parts!

I got tired of my Mac mini not supporting my 1440p ultra wide so I built a new PC.

Then this happens... what's a man to do???

Pretty much what you did. :D Or, I guess if you're an ultra-fan, then you wait a few years until the new version is finally released. :p

That said, the new Mini looks like a really nice piece of hardware. I don't know that I agree that it's worth the price, but for a small box, it's nicer than many of the alternatives. If it was $600 I'd be more apt to jump on it, but whatever. It would make a nice small footprint audio workstation. My studio has been condensed to a corner of my work-room because building synths takes up more space than playing them I've found. Dropping a new Mini in there with a good sized, wall mounted display would be perfect. Right now I use my MBP, but that's less than optimal.

I could technically use a PC as the software I use runs on both, but the underlying audio subsystem is so much cleaner on the Mac. (though I'm happy with either most of the time)

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro 17" that is still going strong; just replaced the HDD with an SSD a year and half ago. It has been a rock. I am not a fan of their recent decision to make them difficult to replace parts!

I haven't had one that old apart, the two people I know who fix them tell me that the poor workmanship is much more recent. I don't know when it started, but they don't even have any water control in them, that's unforgivable. All it takes is tape to steer the water around sensitive circuits, it blows my mind that a notebook in this price range is like that.

You guys do not get it! It's APPLE! The subjugated buyer has no control over buying into this! It's APPLE!
We, the many minions, of the fruit company, cannot stop handing over our wallets when asked. It's APPLE!
It does not have to make sense! It's APPLE!
It does not have to solve any problems. It's APPLE!
What it has to do is be new, and techologically innovative and expensive,.....because it's APPLE!

Now, say it with me,.....it's APPLE! There,..I knew you could.

so what you're saying is, it's apple?

I’m not sure about ipads, but the new iphones, one of the new ones comes with an lcd screen instead of oled/retina.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy an lcd screened phone nowadays, oled screens are so much nicer.

Maybe one day they will release lcd retina screens for ipads ? I think they call them lcd retina.

I need a new ipad and phone, so I’m fucked moneywise. Thats atleast £3000, which is wtf.

I remember the days where I said, “wow, you spent £100 on a phone, damn, it must be made of gold, and I will never buy a phone that costs so much.”

Nowadays it’s, “you only spent £100 on your phone ? You cheap cunt.”

Apple gonna get sued and lose over that T2 chip preventing "user or third party repairs".

I like how everyone thinks software is free and just magically makes itself...

Cant wait to get the new iPad Pro myself :)

Huhwha? But PCs with comparable specs AND with a copy of Windows are still way cheaper?

I got my dad and step moms old 2009 core 2 duo iMac after they replaced it earlier this year with a mac mini. About a month ago I upgraded it to 8gb ram from original 2gb and replaced the HD with a SSD and put EL Cap (newest it can run) on it and it runs really good for such an old computer. Passed it on to my daughter so she doesnt have to use the ole POS dell laptop got for her back in HS.

Huhwha? But PCs with comparable specs AND with a copy of Windows are still way cheaper?

Hey man, my wife wanted a Mac Book Pro and I told her the same thing. She insisted. I said, “ok, it’s your computer get what you want.”

The third fucking day she wanted Windows right after she installed Microsoft Office for Mac. That was after I spent the second day doing a full recovery from a virus.

But anyways - it’s people’s cash they earned so I don’t judge. Apple generally makes good hardware even if priced a bit high. Their software for PCs is garbage though IMO.

Hey man, my wife wanted a Mac Book Pro and I told her the same thing. She insisted. I said, “ok, it’s your computer get what you want.”

The third fucking day she wanted Windows right after she installed Microsoft Office for Mac. That was after I spent the second day doing a full recovery from a virus.

But anyways - it’s people’s cash they earned so I don’t judge. Apple generally makes good hardware even if priced a bit high. Their software for PCs is garbage though IMO.

Your story is a lie.

Apples don't get viruses.

/s

Actually now I'm curious, how did she pull that off?

My mid-2013 MacBook Air is hella long in the tooth and I just started an MBA program. One of these is definitely in my future. I’ll wait for the first sale though.

Look this MacBook was expensive but it’s 5.5 years old and the biggest issue I’ve had is the power adaptor has black electrical tape around one end because it began fraying about 4 years in.

I’ve never had a laptop last that long ever. It literally got my through my BA and has started me with my MBA and a few years of professional time off. I’m impressed with it. I’d suck up the cost of another.

Still way cheaper than a Macbok pro and I have no use for a dGPU.

I actually have a stronger desire, much stronger, to buy a 15" surface book 2 with GTX 1060 than I would with a macbook air.

At least I can game on the damn thing.

Apple gonna get sued and lose over that T2 chip preventing "user or third party repairs".

Not likely, all Apple have to do is prove it is there for encryption. 3rd parties not being able to service it is just a side effect.

Back