Apple Replacing 3TB HDDs in 27" iMacs

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
If you bought a 3TB 27" iMac between December 2012 and September 2013, you may be eligible for a replacement. Check out the official site to see if you're owed a new drive.

Apple has determined that a very small number of 3TB hard drives used in 27-inch iMac systems, may fail under certain conditions. These systems were sold between December 2012 and September 2013. Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) will replace affected hard drives free of charge.

What if a person prefers to buy and install one's own replacement drive? How would one get OS X installed on the new drive?

You'd install OS X from the install disc/flash drive.

But why would you spend money on a part that apple is going to give you for free? At least get the free drive first and use it elsewhere.

What if a person prefers to buy and install one's own replacement drive? How would one get OS X installed on the new drive?

It's actually WAYYYYY easier then on a PC. The computer will even connect straight to Apple servers and download the OS for you. You do not even have to have installation media. Oh, and a license? Forget about it, you don't need that.

That was one of the biggest surprises to me when I started using Apple (in parrellel to Windows and Linux). Reinstalling on Apple is a freakin breeze.

You'd install OS X from the install disc/flash drive.

But why would you spend money on a part that apple is going to give you for free? At least get the free drive first and use it elsewhere.

I think he meant if you replaced the drive for personal reasons outside of this. For instance the "Fusion Drive" is the best SSD+HDD system I have seen yet and Apple charges a pretty penny for it. But there is nothing preventing you from making your own Fusion drive with aftermarket drives.

Because they saw a bug or an issue in the future, on drives that didn't even exist yet?

This is not a new problem.

"Warning: Users need to be certain that their SSD supports TRIM before attempting to mount a partition with the discard flag. Data loss can occur otherwise! Unfortunately, there are wide quality gaps of SSD's bios' to perform continuous TRIM, which is also why using the discard mount flag is recommended against generally by filesystem developer Theodore Ts'o."

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives#Enable_TRIM_by_mount_flag

and how is that in any way related to the topic?

What is a user likely to replace a HDD with these days?

I believe Seagate was one of the first to deliver 3TB's in mass as well, so it would make sense.

They could be replacing them with Toshiba Drives.

I believe Seagate was one of the first to deliver 3TB's in mass as well, so it would make sense.

They could be replacing them with Toshiba Drives.

From bad to worst.

I can't tell you how many times I had to deal with a dead or failing Toshiba hard drive. It was a lot worst then Seagates

Back