Apple Removes Calendar App That Mined Monero

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Apple removed a macOS app called "Calendar 2," which allowed users an alternative to paying for premium features, by letting the app mine for Monero in the background, according to a report from 9to5Mac. The reason it was removed from the Mac App Store after 3 days? It violated guideline 2.4.2, which states;

Design your app to use power efficiently. Apps should not rapidly drain battery, generate excessive heat, or put unnecessary strain on device resources.

Cryptocurrency mining is not power efficient?! Are you as shocked as I am?! Shocked I tell you! Okay well maybe not that shocked.

“However we did generate about $2K (current prices) from the mining that occurred in the 3 day period it was live and we plan to use those proceeds towards improving features for our users going forward,” Magarshak said to 9to5Mac.

Reactions: WhoMe
like this
I wonder how much electricity was wasted (i.e. pollution caused) to raise that $2K. What a load of useless crap this crypto crap is.

Kind of sucks, but I guess that's crApple.
As long as the app is open and let the users know what it's doing it should be fine, hell give the app options to mine when this or that going on.

Cryptocurrency mining is not power efficient?! Are you as shocked as I am?! Shocked I tell you! Okay well maybe not that shocked.
Is this any less power efficient than leaving a basic clock app open on the display or Apple's own inbred battery burning iOS with components Apple wont let users decide whether or not they want them active? /sarc

Note: Updated to add /sarc ;)

Last edited:
Is this any less power efficient than leaving a basic clock app open on the display or Apple's own inbred battery burning iOS with components Apple wont let users decide whether or not they want them active?

Yes. Yes it is. I don't believe either of those pegs CPU usage continuously.

Is this any less power efficient than leaving a basic clock app open on the display or Apple's own inbred battery burning iOS with components Apple wont let users decide whether or not they want them active?
Umm. Well almost certainly. How much power do you think a clock app is using compared to mining?

I can actually see one of these poorly coded mining apps causing a battery explosion and starting a frickin' house fire and killing an entire family.

Obligatory Futurama image...
giphy.gif

I can actually see one of these poorly coded mining apps causing a battery explosion and starting a frickin' house fire and killing an entire family.

if utilizing al lressoruce that are advertised in a product makes it blow it i would rather poitn figner af the product desing that the software that simply called for the usage of the advertised ressources

Reactions: ~CS~
like this
You can control how much cpu usage a mining app takes :rolleyes:, it not all or nothing. Now for a phone it is probably not a very good idea to have a high cpu rate app running - phones can be put in some rather insulated objects and yes I too would fear fires. One would think the phone would sense temperature and kill apps causing excessive temperatures if the temperature got to hot on the battery. Mining Moreno on a phone would be so little to begin with, pennies a month, that it is very much laughable to even bother with it.

Apple also turned down Electroneum mining app which uses zero cpu usage, fake miner - maybe more to Apple refusing Cyrpto-mining, coins etc. maybe Apple is fearing it might eventually take over their Applepay network. Or we may see Applecoin in the near future with AppleMining app iMine. :D

A whole $2k? Not bad.
In less than 3 days with what, a comparatively tiny install base? Even just off the low numbers of users they probably had that's over 20 grand a month, probably not making that from ads. Not sure on what ads make but probably less than that, and the users made the choice to opt in over the ads so the desire is obviously there. Plus I doubt it was running the phone at full tilt 100% balls out or else people would have stopped almost instantly

Back