Apple Removes $1,000 Featureless iPhone Application

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has finally pulled that “I Am Rich” app from its store but not before 8 people dropped a grand on the useless application.

I Am Rich was available for purchase from the phone's App Store for, get this, $999.99. Once downloaded, it doesn't do much -- a red icon sits on the iPhone home screen like any other application, with the subtext "I Am Rich." Once activated, it treats the user to a large, glowing gem (pictured above). That's about it. For a thousand dollars.

This is classic:

"I saw this app with a few friends and we jokingly clicked 'buy' thinking it was a joke, to see what would happen. ... THIS IS NO JOKE...DO NOT BUY THIS APP AND APPLE PLEASE REMOVE THIS FROM THE APP STORE," it read.

What a dumbass. This guy reminds me of those who buys Bugatti Veyrons on ebay because they think it's funny but fail to realize that it's a legal binding contract.

huh? am i getting deja vu??? or was i on another forum???

what i said last time...

This shows the general intelligence of the average iphone user

iphone user: IQ = 50
I Am Rich app user: IQ = Paris Hilton

Heinrich should come out with a new app called "I AM RETARDED", I bet it would be pretty popular with the Mac scenesters.

I think that you may be a bit generous there. Seriously, is anyone surprised? These are the same ass clowns who waited for hours in line, in 90-degree heat over a damn mobile phone...

what i said last time...

You know, people pick on how stupid Paris Hilton is, but she's being stupid all the way to the bank.

But really Apple, how in the hell did this get on your store? I would assume that they'll refund the money.

You know, people pick on how stupid Paris Hilton is, but she's being stupid all the way to the bank.

she's an heiress not a self-made millionaire... imagine what her dad thinks... OMG my daughter is the whore i mean heir to the Hilton fortune...

Man, no sympathy here, they get what they deserve. "Must have everything that can run on my iPhone!" I appreciate the awesomeness behind building this app, that's just the kind of dumbassery I really enjoy. A real commentary on the ridiculousness of the followers. :)

Haha, I saw that on the app store and though......... yeah, no frickin' way.

I just went and got the spoof one off Cydia and put it on my iphone. It was funny for a little bit as other iphone users were like "you spent $1000 on that app???"

she's an heiress not a self-made millionaire... imagine what her dad thinks... OMG my daughter is the whore i mean heir to the Hilton fortune...

She makes most of her money from advertisements and her own investments. Sure she stands to inherit a ton of money, but don't think for once she doesn't rake in mad cash for tv shows and movies.... she makes a fortune of putting her name on things.

Its funny when people have money, others will always try to put them down in some sort of way. Call them dumb or what you want, they have a lot more money than all of us will ever have.... and for that, I call them smart because they are doing something right obviously.

You're trying to claim it takes brains to inherit money?

I have no problem with her being an heiress. I don't think she's an ABSOLUTE moron. But she's also far from a genius. And she is in the public eye. If Paris Hilton doesn't want picked on for being stupid, then Paris Hilton can act a bit less like an idiot in public.

I have no problem with her being an heiress. I don't think she's an ABSOLUTE moron. But she's also far from a genius. And she is in the public eye. If Paris Hilton doesn't want picked on for being stupid, then Paris Hilton can act a bit less like an idiot in public.

No... she's definately an ABSOLUTE moron... do you know why Cheap Whores act like Cheap Whores?? they have no money, no dignity and they really need to get their Crack on.... why does Paris act the same way??? because shes an ABSOLUTE moron...

:rolleyes:

Hilton has worked as a model, actress, musician, and engaged in sometime business pursuits.[8] According to Forbes Magazine, she earned approximately $2 million in 2003–2004,[9] $6.5 million in 2004–2005,[10] and $7 million in 2005–2006.[11]
]

Straight from wiki. That's no inheritance... I'd like to see you do the same or even half of that. She's smart as she turned her name into a business icon, like it or not, but she's making more money than most of us will... and none of that was from her inheritance.

Like Ockie, she's made her own millions. I'm not saying that who she is didn't help, but she has made her own money, more than I'll ever see in my life many,many, many times over.

I'm no Paris Hilton fan, but she knows how to make money with her body and name for sure.

Like Ockie, she's made her own millions. I'm not saying that who she is didn't help, but she has made her own money, more than I'll ever see in my life many,many, many times over.

I'm no Paris Hilton fan, but she knows how to make money with her body and name for sure.

And that right there makes her smart.

I can't even make $10 from my body or name :(

She makes most of her money from advertisements and her own investments. Sure she stands to inherit a ton of money, but don't think for once she doesn't rake in mad cash for tv shows and movies.... she makes a fortune of putting her name on things.

Its funny when people have money, others will always try to put them down in some sort of way. Call them dumb or what you want, they have a lot more money than all of us will ever have.... and for that, I call them smart because they are doing something right obviously.

Sorry to do two posts in a row. I will say this, it is possible to put down someone for being an idiot regardless of if they have money. I think Paris Hilton isn't exactly a genius despite, not because she has money. As for her advertisements and investments, you seem to ignore that she had the initial funds and backing from her family to hire people to market her. Or to put it another way such things as investment managers, PR firms, consulting firms and so forth is what has made Paris Hilton what money she's made beyond what she'll inherit and what was given to her initially by her family. Oh she may have had some small hand in something, like when a consulting firm says "Okay..do we take Burger King's offer or Hardee's offer to do their commercial.." and so forth. But most of what you're attributing to her intelligence is the intelligence of what was hired for her.

And no, I don't begrudge her for her wealth and fame. I don't dislike her at all. But I don't think she's exactly a genius or even has a true handle on her wealth past maybe being told some basic details by an accountant or some such.

Anyway, to be on topic...I think the name of the application shouldn't be "I AM RICH". I think it should be "I WILL BE MUGGED". Just having that application on one's phone shows that the person has a LOT more money then common sense.

One last comment about Paris Hilton. I can see people are confusing what people have done for her for her own intelligence.

Ockie posted this in part: "That's no inheritance... I'd like to see you do the same or even half of that"

Well, my reply back is this: I'd like to see Paris Hilton make the same amount of money without the assistance of accountants, lawyers, consulting firms, PR firms and so forth.

Sorry to do two posts in a row. I will say this, it is possible to put down someone for being an idiot regardless of if they have money. I think Paris Hilton isn't exactly a genius despite, not because she has money. As for her advertisements and investments, you seem to ignore that she had the initial funds and backing from her family to hire people to market her. Or to put it another way such things as investment managers, PR firms, consulting firms and so forth is what has made Paris Hilton what money she's made beyond what she'll inherit and what was given to her initially by her family. Oh she may have had some small hand in something, like when a consulting firm says "Okay..do we take Burger King's offer or Hardee's offer to do their commercial.." and so forth. But most of what you're attributing to her intelligence is the intelligence of what was hired for her.

And no, I don't begrudge her for her wealth and fame. I don't dislike her at all. But I don't think she's exactly a genius or even has a true handle on her wealth past maybe being told some basic details by an accountant or some such.

Anyway, to be on topic...I think the name of the application shouldn't be "I AM RICH". I think it should be "I WILL BE MUGGED". Just having that application on one's phone shows that the person has a LOT more money then common sense.

Sure, but everything in life works this way, it's a lot of times about "who you know". Small favors can go a long way also, but that doesn't mean you are stupid... you would be smart if you cease the opportunity and turn it into something much more.

Yes, she may have the commercial spot because of her parents endorsements, yes, they may have gotten a little help, but the fact is that she ceased that opportunity and turned it around... You don't see Jared from subay making millions and marketing his body, making movies, and being a star... no he's just Jared who lost weight from subway... and that is where Paris took the ball and ran with it.

Life is all about opportunities and moments, she was smart enough to take those opportunities and make something of it.

And as for this application, if I had extra cash to flash, hell I'd buy one, just to piss off other people :p

Bottom line folks.....if you suck, connections will get your foot in the door, but you will get shitcanned on your own.

As much as I look down on attention whores, she knows how to make the money....it's pretty safe to leave it at that.

Now, who's more stupid....the attention whore, or the populace that lets the attention whore get rich off of them?

One last comment about Paris Hilton. I can see people are confusing what people have done for her for her own intelligence.

Ockie posted this in part: "That's no inheritance... I'd like to see you do the same or even half of that"

Well, my reply back is this: I'd like to see Paris Hilton make the same amount of money without the assistance of accountants, lawyers, consulting firms, PR firms and so forth.

Hell I like to see anyone make millions and manage all of their own. I doubt too many smart people with millions don't get some help.

Yes, there is a difference between intelligence and wealth. But I would rather be super rich than super smart any day of the week.

A 4 PhD's and $4 dollars buys a gallon of gas.;)

making that money means nothing... where do you think she would be without her DADDY? sucking dick for crack cocaine... probability... 99%

When is this gonna get back to shitty iPhone software??

Because for whatever reason people love to talk about Paris Hilton this way. She's dumb, she's a call girl, and she'd be on the street without her family name and wealth. That's why they call them celebrities.

As stupid as she might be however, I bet she wasn't one of the 8 people how bought this app!

any idiot can be born into a rich family, and just act like a dipshit and get popular. once you are popular, you can just show up and you get paid.

paris hilton would be just another idiot myspace whore if it weren't for her last name.

This sounds like exactly the sort of application most Apple lovers would want. It's looks good, costs a ton of money, and it doesn't do anything. Why did Apple remove it?

Oh well. They can still blow their money on retarded apps like that one that makes it look like you're drinking beer from your iPhone.

This app was a brilliant idea. You know at least that one moron (obviously) will buy it, so the developer made a cool $700 (after Apple's cut?) for 15 minutes of work. Brilliant idea! I've read the developer actually cashed out profits of about $5600 or so.

By the way.. you're still discussing Paris Hilton. Obviously shes doing something right ;) Woman has charisma and public appeal, she uses it to her advantage and makes money off of it. Sounds like a good business woman to me.

This in my book is right up there with the classic "PLAYSTATION 2 ORIGINAL BOX" deal on fleaBay years past. The guy did nothing wrong, said exactly what he was selling - the original box, that's it - and got $400 for it. No scam, nothing... just people that have no reading comprehension. The purchaser sued the seller, lost, and even though the court ruled in favor of the seller ("He made no mistakes, told no lies..." was the basic ruling by the judge), fleaBay kicked him off and banned him forever...

Same principle: stupid people with money just don't seem to have brains to go with the money.

in case having an iphone isn't enough of a status symbol, this application is perfect for those who need a platinum and diamond grille, 24k top on a bic lighter, purple sued lined refrigerator, etc.

teh red icon itz deh bling :D

See also: Solid Gold Porsche

Now that I think about this, Apple was in the wrong. They should have left the app up. A developer should be able to charge whatever he wants for his work as long as its legal and it looks as though this developer did nothing wrong.

But I guess Apple couldn't sell it with a staight face. He should make a Windows Mobile version!:p

what i said last time...

You're right, people who buy [x] product are stupid! Tell me, which [y] product should they buy for you to consider them smart? Because what people buy clearly tells you everything you should need to know about their intelligence. Give me a fucking break and stop trolling.

Maybe it was because of the "I" wasn't in lower capital letters, so the app should have been called:

iAMRICH

not I AM RICH

Paris Hilton is actually probably smarter than you.

That said I just got an iTouch yesterday and was going through the app store. Some of the prices that they try to charge for these apps are madness.

Back