Apple Press Conference for the Antenna

CopyCat

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/...ne-4-press-conference/?sort=newest&refresh=60

If you are interested. So far these is what you get from it.

1 - If you don't want your iPhone, return it
2 - iPhone 4 is the best smartphone in the world
3 - All Phones do exactly the same thing as the iPhone

Pretty much sounds like they aren't taking any blame and saying all cell phones do it so deal with it, otherwise return your phone
--------------------------------

My feelings are that the issue isn't as big as it is being made out, but that happens when you are the best selling device in any area...so YOU deal with the pressure of being popular. Thats the life you get when you are at the top.
Second I think many phones do have issues with losing signals if you cover the antenna with your hand wherever it is, but not nearly as bad as the iPhone in my experiences anyways.

Seems like another smoke screen IMO

Best line of the press conference so far

"So I have my own pet theory. We have no proof of it, but I'm going to give it to you."

Yup free "cases". They said that there aren't enough "Bumpers" for everyone so I guess some 3rd party alternative will be used for those that can't get a bumper??

End of day results from conference

Apple : Nothing is wrong, the phone is the best phone and the antenna issue doesn't exist in any fashion beyond what ALL other phones do.....but even though there isn't a problem we will give everyone a case (cause that isnt a great opportunity to look good...DUH)

Yup free "cases". They said that there aren't enough "Bumpers" for everyone so I guess some 3rd party alternative will be used for those that can't get a bumper??

End of day results from conference

Apple : Nothing is wrong, the phone is the best phone and the antenna issue doesn't exist in any fashion beyond what ALL other phones do.....but even though there isn't a problem we will give everyone a case (cause that isnt a great opportunity to look good...DUH)

I think you missed the part where they admitted it was enough of a problem to offer a free case to all iPhone owners...

Admittance of a problem, it wasn't a fabrication of the mind, it exists.

I made a post in the apple specific forum about my thoughts on the "Antenna Issue" and I won't cross post post for the sake of looking too much like a troll, but I do think it's a bit of a crock.

I think you missed the part where they admitted it was enough of a problem to offer a free case to all iPhone owners...

No they didn't, lol.
They tried to say that it is just what happens with mobile phones, it happens with all cell phones and we don't need to apologize or admit anything.
But in order to turn this PR nightmare into a ++ for us, we are going to give everyone a bumper that costs us almost nothing.

Not once did they admit that the iPhone 4 could possibly have an issue with reception due to the antenna being on the outside.

No they didn't, lol.
They tried to say that it is just what happens with mobile phones, it happens with all cell phones and we don't need to apologize or admit anything.
But in order to turn this PR nightmare into a ++ for us, we are going to give everyone a bumper that costs us almost nothing.

Not once did they admit that the iPhone 4 could possibly have an issue with reception due to the antenna being on the outside.
YES THEY DID! They admitted they KNEW of the signal drop but did not expect it to be such an issue with customers! Reiterated that fact a few times!

And just for posterity, I'm going to quote my post, because apple's solution and excuse, is fucking stupid. Simply put.

Truth be told, the issue DOES affect all phones...

For instance, If I hold my blackberry curve 8520 upside down while covering the keyboard and back bottom half in my closed hand, I can get it to drop from 5 bars to 4 bars while at my cottage...

And if I hold my milestone on the bottom half with a claw grip where all 5 of my fingers end up resting on the touch screen, I drop from 3 bars to 2 bars...

But if I hold them like a phone, We're all good.

Two direct competitors for market share with the iphone, a traditional blackberry, and an HSPA android phone. 2 different networks, one single spot, and two retarded ways of holding them to replicate a signal loss issue -_-

That takes away one bar.

Apple fucked up, and I hope they seriously fix this issue in no short order. I can imagine it's going to be a bitch telling my customers they have to deal with a non working phone until apple ships out their free case, because I bet dollars to donuts, that Canada gets screwed and sees none of the reparations for a while. And we get the iphone in 2 weeks.

Not sure if there are any others in the same boat as me, but i am considering getting the iphone 4 but i like to keep my phones in a pouch not a rubber surround or gel surround that you have to keep on all the time, i like to use a phone in its naked state, bumpers etc just make the phone look ugly to me or make the iphone 4 look like the 3gs.Its a shame if you have to cover a lot of its beauty…Its like buying a 50" tv then having to whack a god awful band around it to stop interference

Was the antenna issue reported from somewhere outside of the US of A also or is it specific for AT&T?

YES THEY DID! They admitted they KNEW of the signal drop but did not expect it to be such an issue with customers! Reiterated that fact a few times!

They did admit to signal loss yes, but I guess what I am saying is that I feel they didn't admit that because of their design, that the flaw (which can be found in many phones) is WORSE an the iPhone 4 by a significant margin.

I wanted them to say we made a mistake cause I honestly think they did, EVEN if it's not a big deal and won't effect a large portion of users. You just get the feeling that Jobs would never admit any wrong-doing though, no matter what.

Back