Apple Pledges $1 Billion on Manufacturing Jobs in the US

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Tim Cook was asked by CNBC’s Mad Money host Jim Cramer what he was doing to create jobs in the US, and the CEO revealed that Apple would be creating a fund to promote advanced manufacturing, seeding it with a billion bucks to start. The company is already responsible for 2 million jobs in the States, and this decision is expected to boost those numbers as an investment toward smaller American companies that manufacture products here.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said that his company will start a $1 billion fund to promote advanced manufacturing jobs in the United States. "We're announcing it today. So you're the first person I'm telling," Cook told "Mad Money" host Jim Cramer on Wednesday. "Well, not the first person because we've talked to a company that we're going to invest in already," he said, adding that Apple will announce the first investment later in May. The fund comes as President Donald Trump has made bringing back manufacturing jobs a big part of his agenda, and it fits into Apple's larger effort to create jobs across its spectrum, from its own employees to app developers to its suppliers.

Last edited:
Hey mon, I would post more but I have to go to 1 of my 8 jobs I have with Apple!! Problem is.. which one am I suppose to go to??

Hedley-2y1lcqgbrpz5gw6rridslc.gif

I figured you would do something evil like fixing your post Megalith:mad: ;)
apple_jobs.png

I didn't watch the interview, but there is NO WAY that Apple is solely responsible for the direct employment of 2 million people in the US as you claim "The company is already responsible for 2 million jobs in the States"

That is complete BS and no reference to back it up.

The fund comes as President Donald Trump has made bringing back manufacturing jobs a big part of his agenda, and it fits into Apple's larger effort to create jobs across its spectrum, from its own employees to app developers to its suppliers.

People need to stop making the ridiculous claim that Trump has anything to do with this. Apple isn't going to change anything due to what that blowhard says. They only answer to shareholders and market economics. They see a path toward more money, simple as that.

People need to stop making the ridiculous claim that Trump has anything to do with this. Apple isn't going to change anything due to what that blowhard says. They only answer to shareholders and market economics. They see a path toward more money, simple as that.

And what is making it more profitable to hire US workers and start more manufacturing here?

"The company is already responsible for 2 billion jobs in the States"

Wow, they employ 6 times the population of the US?

And if that was supposed to be million, it must take some very creative counting to come anywhere near that number./

Somewhere someone mistook his statement, he said 2 million jobs worldwide. Which is I am sure counting anyone who has ever made an app for any of their devices.

And even if I'm wrong, that wiki page i'm sure is only counting direct apple employees, the quoted 2 Million number is counting indirect employees that develop apps for their ecosystem.

It turns out that Apple put up a new site to justify the claim: https://www.apple.com/job-creation/

The numbers tell the story. Apple is one of the biggest job creators in the United States, responsible for two million jobs in all 50 states. Last year, we spent over $50 billion with more than 9,000 U.S. suppliers and manufacturers. Since we launched the App Store in 2008, U.S. developers have earned over $16 billion in App Store sales worldwide. And we’re just getting started.

It turns out that Apple put up a new site to justify the claim: https://www.apple.com/job-creation/

The numbers tell the story. Apple is one of the biggest job creators in the United States, responsible for two million jobs in all 50 states. Last year, we spent over $50 billion with more than 9,000 U.S. suppliers and manufacturers. Since we launched the App Store in 2008, U.S. developers have earned over $16 billion in App Store sales worldwide. And we’re just getting started.

In other words the realized the claim smelled like too much bullshit...

And what is making it more profitable to hire US workers and start more manufacturing here?
I read some rant by an Indian in a forum their people in India can make $15/hr now. I don't know if that's true but if so, Apple can restart manufacturing in some of the hard hit states then pay 1/2 that for American labor.

edit: but granted, that does nothing to compare with cheap Chinese manufacturing.

Apple should have the *courage* to move it's manufacturing to the USA. Then their sky high prices could be justified by shouting "USA! USA! USA!" It'll never happen though because of their wonky tax evasion schemes. What's it called, the Scottish Turdeken sandwich or something?

edit - Dutch sandwich. I knew I was kinda close. I like how the Wikipedia page points out Google but no mention of Apple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Sandwich

edit v2 - sorry, the Double Irish is what Apple was doing and is similar but not exactly the same thing apparently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement

Automation. They don't have to hire actual workers to claim American made products. I am sure they would love to see lower corporate tax breaks, but like when Reagan was the Pres, lowering government revenue so drastically doesn't work and even if they somehow manage it, will have to reverse these cuts, just like Reagan. So yes, automation. Most likely they will buy the robotics from China too, so this is all one big farce being done for publicity.

Apple should have the *courage* to move it's manufacturing to the USA. Then their sky high prices could be justified by shouting "USA! USA! USA!" It'll never happen though because of their wonky tax evasion schemes. What's it called, the Scottish Turdeken sandwich or something?

edit - Dutch sandwich. I knew I was kinda close. I like how the Wikipedia page points out Google but no mention of Apple. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Sandwich

edit v2 - sorry, the Double Irish is what Apple was doing and is similar but not exactly the same thing apparently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement

It's not evasion if it's legal.

Why don't you tell me? I'm sure you'll have a more specific answer than MAGA. Oh, and taking health insurance away from 26M.

The plan to lower corporate taxes was raised by someone. Why would it matter whether the tax rate was 15% or 99% in terms of hiring more people in *this* country? Apple is already paying taxes at the current rate which means they already had cash on hand in this country to hire people.

I read some rant by an Indian in a forum their people in India can make $15/hr now. I don't know if that's true but if so, Apple can restart manufacturing in some of the hard hit states then pay 1/2 that for American labor.

edit: but granted, that does nothing to compare with cheap Chinese manufacturing.

That's barely over the federal poverty level! That's your solution?

Last edited:
To promote advanced manufactoring. I think we all know what that means.

People should stop dreaming of unskilled people getting mass jobs. There is no future in that and you only fool yourself if you think anyone can change that. So snap out of the 50s-60s mindset.

Apple will also move the production if it can be done cheaper, as in fully automated by robots. The 4th industrial revolution is coming and its also hitting office workers.

Why don't you tell me? I'm sure you'll have a more specific answer than MAGA. Oh, and taking health insurance away from 26M.

The plan to lower corporate taxes was raised by someone. Why would it matter whether the tax rate was 15% or 99% in terms of hiring more people in *this* country? Apple is already paying taxes at the current rate which means they already had cash on hand in this country to hire people.

You apparently do not understand how corporations think when it comes to wages. They don't care if workers are at poverty levels. Their PR would spin that "barely over federal poverty levels" as "high paying" jobs.

It's not evasion if it's legal.
True, it's tax avoidance, which is perfectly legal, since the powers that be set it up that way. Neither one tends to put a smile on our faces.

Hey, almost half of Americans already make less than that. We should feel right at home!

You apparently do not understand how corporations think when it comes to wages. They don't care if workers are at poverty levels. Their PR would spin that "barely over federal poverty levels" as "high paying" jobs.

Clearly I don't understand that :rolleyes:

If Apple were investing $1B in hiring people at the FPL that's hardly something to celebrate and it's hardly a victory for this government. It wouldn't even be legal in my country (California) thank Jebus.

Apple isn't investing 1B$ in hiring people. They are investing 1B$ in the promotion of advanced manufactoring in the US. The later can as such have nothing to do with job creation itself by rather job destruction. Not that its bad since human resources can be used better. 4 hour work days etc.

Will we see machines engineering their own machines at large scale within the next 30 years?

Back