Apple Plans Combined iPhone, iPad, & Mac Apps to Create One User Experience

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple will allow developers to release universal apps that work across iPhone, iPad, and Mac as early as next year. Software developers will be able to design a single application that works with a touchscreen or mouse and trackpad depending on whether it's running on the iPhone and iPad operating system or on Mac hardware.

Developers currently must design two different apps -- one for iOS, the operating system of Apple’s mobile devices, and one for macOS, the system that runs Macs. That’s a lot more work. Apple customers have also long complained that some Mac apps get short shrift: while the iPhone and iPad Twitter app is regularly updated with the social network’s latest features, the Mac version hasn’t been refreshed recently and is widely considered substandard.

the Mac version hasn’t been refreshed recently and is widely considered substandard.

That could be said of the Mac hardware as well as the software.... :)

So what they are saying is they want mobile apps that run on laptop /desktops? Eh, to each their own I guess.

Because this worked so well for Microsoft.

I know, I know, much different starting point. Most likely radically different strategic goals as well.

so.. your gonna design an app to properly work whether its on a 5 inch display or a 30 inch display

sure you are...

Sounds like a mixed blessing to me.

A mouse and keyboard experience is a much more refined and precise method of control, allowing for smaller icons, design cues, etc.

If you are going to have the same interface across both, its' going to look large and clunky on the computer, much like when you accidentally get the mobile version of a webpage on your desktop.

Either way I don't care. I don't use any Apple products, so this won't affect me anyway.

Because this worked so well for Microsoft.

I know, I know, much different starting point. Most likely radically different strategic goals as well.

Somehow I doubt Apple will do it as hamfisted or piss off their desktop users to the extent MS has. Apple will likely put proper effort into first party apps, and the whole thing will be more than just a ploy to prop up mobile devices they aren't selling.

I also doubt ugly Fisher Price tiles are part of Apple's plan.

Last edited:
Somehow I doubt Apple will do it as hamfisted or piss off their desktop users to the extent MS has.

Don't worry about Apple users.
This could be implemented 10 times worse than Microsoft's attempt, but the iBots will still praise how great Apple is.

Microsoft tried this with no success multiple times. The power and capability difference between a desktop and phone had always been so massive that it really did require 2 versions. I don't see how they could effortlessly get the same expereience on a full kb/mouse and a phone with 1-4 buttons and a flat touch capacitve surface. This is also going to essentially force companies to create an app for 3 systems, phone, tablet, laptop/desktop since the app should work on all of them regardless of hardware now. Get bent.

Apple just has to have the original idea of coming up with Samsung's DEX. Jeez.

Somehow I doubt Apple will do it as hamfisted or piss off their desktop users to the extent MS has. Apple will likely put proper effort into first party apps, and the whole thing will be more than just a ploy to prop up mobile devices they aren't selling.

I also doubt ugly Fisher Price tiles are part of Apple's plan.

I'm not a Apple fan, but I agree Apple has a better chance of pulling this off than MS did. MS had poor phone UI/UX and tried to force that loosing battle on the desktop. Besides the joe users, MS has a strong corp presence that really wants the customization and "do it my way" Windows allows. That's almost the opposite of the Mac world.

so.. your gonna design an app to properly work whether its on a 5 inch display or a 30 inch display

sure you are...

As opposed to 4.7” displays throughto 12.9” displays...

Back