Apple Patches 36 Bugs in Snow Leopard

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple has issued the last major update to the Snow Leopard operating system prior to the release of the Lion next month. The update covers 36 vulnerabilities in Snow Leopard, changes to the App Store and pre-requisite software updates for downloading Lion through the App Store.

Tucked into Mac OS X 10.6.8 were patches for 36 security flaws, 29 of them tagged with Apple's traditional phrase "arbitrary code execution," the company's way of saying the flaws are critical. Apple does not assign severity rankings to vulnerabilities.

Apple should really incorporate MS's monthly update cycle. 36 security flaws addressed after 3 months is a bit high,lol

You must have read it wrong they must be product enhancements cause we were told.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdF5IsyOxU4"]YouTube - ‪Get a Mac - Viruses‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HWmN6W6SB4"]YouTube - ‪Get A Mac - Trust a Mac‬‏[/ame]

Wait, wut? 36 bugs in a Apple product? Unpossible! Someone needs to tell the OS X devs they are coding it wrong.

Know what the best security software for OS X is? Windows. Without Windows' dominate market share on the desktop malware writers would be reeking havoc elsewhere with as much ease as they have on Windows.

Wait, wut? 36 bugs in a Apple product? Unpossible! Someone needs to tell the OS X devs they are coding it wrong.

I keep telling that to the resident Mac nut who sits next to me at work..and we both work in IT....:eek:.

I keep telling that to the resident Mac nut who sits next to me at work..and we both work in IT....:eek:.

I just quit talking to Mac users. By that I mean, if they mention something about computing, then mention they own a Mac, I'm done. If they want to talk weather, movies, anything else, fine. Computing? Nope. I don't talk much to my aunt or cousin much anymore, lol.

I'm not complaining ;)

If I were a Mac owner I wouldn't complain either. Looking at this reads just like a Microsoft security bulletin, some pretty big holes in an OS that a lot of people would swear is more secure than Windows: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4723

But of course Apple doesn't rank security issues by potential level of threat, there are no 'critical' flaws here, just a bunch that can lead to arbitrary code execution. Microsoft would list pretty much any arbitrary code execution flaw as 'critical' but in the Mac world one can rest safe and secure that indeed there are no 'critical' vulnerabilities in OS X.

I have to hand it to Apple. The care and subtly that they do a lot of things is remarkable.

The missing argument here is that people don't even care about macs to make viruses for then (I own a macbook, do not rage on me).

The missing argument here is that people don't even care about macs to make viruses for then (I own a macbook, do not rage on me).

Tell that to MACDefender, and the improved version which does not need admin rights to install itself and screw your system.

Oh yeah, and if you call Apple support telling them you have a virus, they simply state there is nothing they can do and that it is up to you to 'fix' it, nor do they admit that there is a virus in existence, even though there is and that it has been well documented. :rolleyes:

Tell that to MACDefender, and the improved version which does not need admin rights to install itself and screw your system.

Fortunately for Mac owners MACDefender is an exception and not the rule in the OS X world. Apple's current security procedures are similar to Microsoft's of a decade ago, a bad joke. They don't even bother to put severity levels on their updates.

Apple can get away with it as long as malware developers don't target OS X substantially and while that does appear to be happening more and more OS X still simply isn't a high value target at the moment.

The minute that changes will be when Apple will face it's come to Jesus moment like Microsoft experienced shortly after the release of XP.

Fortunately for Mac owners MACDefender is an exception and not the rule in the OS X world. Apple's current security procedures are similar to Microsoft's of a decade ago, a bad joke. They don't even bother to put severity levels on their updates.

Apple can get away with it as long as malware developers don't target OS X substantially and while that does appear to be happening more and more OS X still simply isn't a high value target at the moment.

The minute that changes will be when Apple will face it's come to Jesus moment like Microsoft experienced shortly after the release of XP.

Your absolutely right about this. But as OS X, Macs, and other Apple products get bigger and more popular, this will become more of a reality than simply myth or opinion.

The real threat is that there are no true anti-malware programs that exist to help keep them clean. There may not have been a need for them in the past, but now, I'm not so sure.

The real threat is that there are no true anti-malware programs that exist to help keep them clean. There may not have been a need for them in the past, but now, I'm not so sure.

Few weeks ago i posted a link in the networking forum to a drive by attack on a MAC reported by Ed Bott (search his previous blog posts for it)

I recreated his scenario and put McAfee, and Norton to the test. Neither removed the "virus".

Few weeks ago i posted a link in the networking forum to a drive by attack on a MAC reported by Ed Bott (search his previous blog posts for it)

I recreated his scenario and put McAfee, and Norton to the test. Neither removed the "virus".

Norton and McAfee, Mac editions....

I wanted to try to mount the VMHD and scan it with a windows AV and see what happened, but i lost interest and never finished my project.

Nor will Apple help you in that scenario. Apple, ftl.

How can they fix 36 problems on a Mac OS ? Macs are perfect, or so I was lead to believe.

How can they fix 36 problems on a Mac OS ? Macs are perfect, or so I was lead to believe.
I know it's fun to poke at Apple due to the image its proponents (annoyingly) propagate, but it's best to acknowledge the reality too.

There's a bit ton of security patches described on this page, which is linked directly or indirectly by all security update descriptions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

I'm not complaining about your post. It's completely fair to point out that OS X has security problems. Tons of security problems. And Apple is still in the lucky position that Windows has a 20x bigger malware target on its back. ;)

Back