“Apple Park” Spaceship Campus Opens in April

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Steve Jobs’ vision for the workplace of the future is finally realized and will be open for business come springtime. While populating it will be a chore that will last for months, Apple employees are probably ecstatic to work in one of the most attention-grabbing pieces of architecture in the vicinity, if not the world. Aside from the massive panels of curved glass, the building is also noteworthy for being the biggest naturally ventilated building in existence: it requires no heating or air conditioning for nine months of the year.

The new site has at its heart a ring-shaped, 2.8 million-square-foot building clad in glass. Jobs compared the building to a "spaceship" when he proposed the development to the Cupertino City Council in 2011. The idea was certainly outside the norm for corporate headquarters, and Jobs' intense interest in design had an obvious influence on the architecture. In memory of Apple's late co-founder, the new campus will include a 1,000-seat auditorium called the Steve Jobs Theater. The entrance to the building will be a 20-foot-tall, 165-foot diameter glass cylinder with a "metallic carbon-fiber" roof. The theater will sit atop a hill, one of the highest points on the campus.

It's properly ventilated by the smugness and COURAGE! of Apple employees.

Translation: Its going to stink really bad in the hot months and employees will be wearing thick turtleneck sweaters in the winter.

This might be just like Olympic venues in a few years the way Apple keeps going or isn't going...

I have a feeling a lot of the employees will be wearing turtleneck sweaters anyways...

*sigh* so then I need to change my commute to work route before April then. Funny, that might make me go past their current campus.

Jobs was an asshole, and it is very satisfying to see that his legacy is a giant gaping anus soon to be populated to a bunch of little shits.

;)

Back