Apple Orders 160M iPhone 8 OLED Panels from Samsung

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In what amounts to a massive payday for Samsung, Apple has ordered 60 million more OLED panels than what was initially reported, bringing the total to 160M screens worth billions. While the debut of this display technology in the iPhone is now a no-brainer, what remains up in the air is whether OLED will be available beyond the premium model—the amount of screens ordered would make up around 80% of all iPhone sales, if the past is any indication, so it is plausible that lower-end models may be going 0 nits as well.

Samsung Display, a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics, has won a fresh deal with Apple to supply an additional 60 million units of organic light-emitting diode panels, worth of 5 trillion won (US$4.3 billion), for the next-generation iPhone, according to news reports on Feb. 13. The new deal comes after the Korean display maker struck a deal last year supplying 100 million OLED display panels for the upcoming iPhone 8, the first iPhone to adopt an OLED screen, which is widely rumored to be launched in September this year. Considering Apple sells 200 million iPhones a year, the combined 160 million units of OLED panels will make up almost 80 percent of the entire sales. Previously, industry sources predicted that the new iPhone will come in two to three variants, with the only premium model featuring an OLED screen. With the increased panel supply, the OLED adoption could be expanded.

Last edited:
Just shy of $27 apiece. Apple will probably charge 10x that to the customers needing a boken screen replaced. And they will happily shell out the dough for it, because "ma appel".

Just shy of $27 apiece. Apple will probably charge 10x that to the customers needing a boken screen replaced. And they will happily shell out the dough for it, because "ma appel".

They'll happily shell it out because they like their phones. Why can't we leave it at that? Why does it always have to get to that next, retarded level? Fucking fanboys.

They'll happily shell it out because they like their phones. Why can't we leave it at that? Why does it always have to get to that next, retarded level? Fucking fanboys.

I own: an older LG G3, Amazon Fire Phone, Apple iPod Nano, a SanDisk MP3 player, and Intel + nVidia in my primary system, an AMD + AMD in my secondary system, and an Intel + AMD in my laptop...just to name a few. Who you calling a fucking fanboy, again?

I own: an older LG G3, Amazon Fire Phone, Apple iPod Nano, a SanDisk MP3 player, and Intel + nVidia in my primary system, an AMD + AMD in my secondary system, and an Intel + AMD in my laptop...just to name a few. Who you calling a fucking fanboy, again?

Get over it, I was pointing out the asinine comment you made with the "ma appel" bullshit. All it takes is one comment for the entire thread to get derailed and turn into some bout about how all iPhone users are sheep and how all Android-based phone users are "free", and all that nonsense.

More Apple butthurt at [H].

Some of you seriously need to get out more.

Get over it, I was pointing out the asinine comment you made with the "ma appel" bullshit. All it takes is one comment for the entire thread to get derailed and turn into some bout about how all iPhone users are sheep and how all Android-based phone users are "free", and all that nonsense.

I agree there are fanboys on both sides of the Android/Apple aisles. But you made assumptions about me. That's not my problem.

Yes, because Samsung, LG, etc all provide replacement screens at cost right?

You might want to ease up on your paint chip intake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED#Manufacturers_and_commercial_uses

A lot of companies build and manufacture OLED's, but the one we all mention in conversation is usually LG with their higher-end TV's.

I agree there are fanboys on both sides of the Android/Apple aisles. But you made assumptions about me. That's not my problem.

I'm sorry, I was just frustrated, because I feel like people never see eye to eye when it comes to phones on this forum.

Personally, i actually prefer LCD screens to OLED screens on my phone.

Yes, OLED's are thinner and have more vibrant colors and better blacks, but the tiny amount of extra bulk from an LCD screen doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that OLED screens aren't as bright as LCD screens, and in sunlight that can be a problem. Also, use your phone a lot with the same app and brightness turned up (like say, a GPS), and you can start having image retention issues, like I got on my Droid Turbo from too much Waze use.

19423545030_3441ef21b5_o.jpg

The better blacks don't concern me on my phone. I like this on my Plasma TV, but on my phone I couldn't care less. I don't watch TV or Movies on my phone.

I also find that most OLED screens have way TOO vibrant colors. They usually seem extremely over saturated to me, especially the reds. When I do use a phone with an OLED screen, I usually wind up going into the Android developer options and set "Picture Color Mode" to sRGB for a much better and less saturated color experience. Cant stand that over saturated mess.

Honestly, if I were shopping for two phones which were identical, except for one having an LCD screen and the other having an OLED screen, I'd pick the LCD 100% of the time.

I actually felt the 1080p LCD screen on my $100 Asus Zenfone 2 was better than the 1440p OLED screen on my $800 Droid Turbo.

Yes, because Samsung, LG, etc all provide replacement screens at cost right?

You might want to ease up on your paint chip intake.

Quick web search:

LG G3 screen: $65
LG G5 screen: $55
Samsung S7 screen: $155
Apple iPhone 7 screen: $280

I'll keep chowing those paint chips...want some?

Ah yes... "they like their phone" sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation when the person showing up with a broken apple device has a blank look on their face and also happen to be wearing the offical Steve Jobs underwear set. The phone is designed from the ground up to be a fancy fisher price toy that will magically give it's users sexual powers (or so they believe)

What's easier to believe, they are happy to shell out tons of money because they like to? or because they are given zero other choice?

I've broken screens and other parts of cell phones before, I liked how instead of shelling out 1/3rd the cost of a new phone I could order the $12 glass digitizer online and replace it myself.

...Also, use your phone a lot with the same app and brightness turned up (like say, a GPS), and you can start having image retention issues, like I got on my Droid Turbo from too much Waze use.

This is a big problem with OLED displays. The pixels have a limited lifespan. Colored or white areas you use more, burn out faster (as black or darker colors are used less). I noticed with with a previous Samsung phone I had. This is one reason I prefer LCD.

bleh i friggin love samsung phones, call me a samsung whore all you want cuz i really dont fucking care hmph!

Ah yes... "they like their phone" sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation when the person showing up with a broken apple device has a blank look on their face and also happen to be wearing the offical Steve Jobs underwear set. The phone is designed from the ground up to be a fancy fisher price toy that will magically give it's users sexual powers (or so they believe)

What's easier to believe, they are happy to shell out tons of money because they like to? or because they are given zero other choice?

I've broken screens and other parts of cell phones before, I liked how instead of shelling out 1/3rd the cost of a new phone I could order the $12 glass digitizer online and replace it myself.

Fantastic for you, really, but I enjoy iPhone (and I've tried literally every other phone over the past 7 years). If I want to keep using the iPhone, and it breaks, I am of the understanding that I will have to pay extra to keep using it, and I'm fine with that. Do I wish it were cheaper? Sure, saving some cash is great, but it is what it is unfortunately. No, I don't want to use a different phone. End of story really.

Owner of a Samsung phone. Samsung sheep are arguably worse than Apple sheep. Same crap, different pile.
Don't know about worse, but it does surprises the amount of looooooove Samsung gets... I guess its just weird to me too 2 companies can do this to some people.

I like how Apple is just now putting this in their phones when us "regular" people have been using the tech for years. Can't wait to see what BS adjective they use to describe their decision to finally get with the times.

Yet the Iphone screen has superior viewing in direct sun and a wider colour gamut... oh right they have to go OLED just because someone else is using it...

Personally i found the iphone 7 screen superior to the Note 4's screen and dont miss the blacks at all on a mobile device.

Ho Lee Chit....

You don't get out much do you?

Never in my encounters with other human beings has their phone (or mine) ever been a topic of discussion. Nor has anyone praised the iPhone like some on here believe. It is comical how out of touch this forum is becoming.

Ho Lee Chit....

Never in my encounters with other human beings has their phone (or mine) ever been a topic of discussion. Nor has anyone praised the iPhone like some on here believe. It is comical how out of touch this forum is becoming.

I only see this shit on here (and a few other forums), but you're right, I'd be pretty lost if the topic came up in real life.

It's funny actually, slightly off-topic, but I read somewhere the other day that women are far more likely (something ridiculous like ~90%) to be into you if you have an iPhone. I had to go off the grid for a few hours after I read that, I wanted to smash something. This was statistics off of dating websites, for what it's worth.

166643-silicon-valley-ehrlich-motherf-tAQR.gif

Last edited:
Ho Lee Chit....

So you've never turned on the news, walked by or in an apple store, or read any articles about just how fanatical some of these apple people can be... and have been for the better part of a decade? Sounds like you are the one that needs to get out more.

Ho Lee Chit....

There is a long standing resistance against Apple on this forum for ages....

If you want something more comical, try out SoapBox on this forum, even more comical than you can ever imagine.

------------

I honestly think OLED is a bad idea overall. Currently using Pixel now, and I am hesitate to even turn on Navigation because of it, and I have bought their 2 year protection plan just for screen issues too LOL.

So you've never turned on the news, walked by or in an apple store, or read any articles about just how fanatical some of these apple people can be... and have been for the better part of a decade? Sounds like you are the one that needs to get out more.

I find Android users are like Vegans, you don't need to ask. They'll just tell you anyways. I personally find it hard to go back to Apple after being under the Android ecosystem for so many years (iPhone 4 was my last iPhone), but iPhones are great phones it just doesn't have everything I want in one. I'm not just going to go and bash people who love a polished ecosystem like iOS and great looking hardware like the iPhone.

I find Android users are like Vegans, you don't need to ask. They'll just tell you anyways. I personally find it hard to go back to Apple after being under the Android ecosystem for so many years (iPhone 4 was my last iPhone), but iPhones are great phones it just doesn't have everything I want in one. I'm not just going to go and bash people who love a polished ecosystem like iOS and great looking hardware like the iPhone.

Damn it, what a great response, couldn't have said it better myself to be honest. I love both ecosystems while are at it, and honestly, I'm eagerly waiting for the Note 8. I hope it's a great phone, as I miss the Note 3 I had. It's tough to abandon an ecosystem once you're deeply intertwined (the family music sharing, etc.).

Most people I know have iPhones, the only ones talking about phones are the ones with android devices. Over the past few years the roles have reversed. iPhone users buy their phone and use it, while android users have to tell you all about their device and how much better it is. Oh and you gotta throw in the sheeple term.

Personally I find OLED more useful on tablets and TV's (monitors please!) due to me consuming more media on those devices, but I'm fine with it in a phone too. The Galaxy S6 had an amazing screen already.

Reactions: Liver
like this
Im the same, I dont talk about my iPhone or show it off. I just use it as a phone, an appliance if you will. All I care about is doing what I need on it and not about the device itself.

I dont expect it to perform miracles like part the sea with an edgeless display but I know when I take it out of my pocket, it will work... which is more than I can say for my Note 4 which failed 4 times and lost all my data each time.

Personally I think most people dont know what they are missing... the seamless handoff between Macbook, iPad and iPhone keeps my sanity in life. I love being able to jump from device to device, still respond to messages, take calls or even have the same browser tabs. It is something the fragmented and and chaotic Android ecosystem can only dream of.

When I upgrade an iPhone, its because my contract is up for renewal and may aswell, the phone still does the job, with Android it has always been because I want to replace my busted ass phone / get away from it and I keep coming crawling back to Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bears repeating. Every single Apple thread. It's like they have an inferiority complex and need approval from others that Android is better. Just look at how angry they get with their comments. That is just sad.

I write mobile software for a living so I tend to use whatever phone OS I am currently writing code for. When I am left to my own devices, I think the iOS devices feel better and the overall experience just feels more polished, but I as a tinkerer I feel a little boxed in like I can't do anything so I go back and forth. Humorously, I really wish Windows Phone has become I think, loved that OS :)

Yet the Iphone screen has superior viewing in direct sun and a wider colour gamut... oh right they have to go OLED just because someone else is using it...

Personally i found the iphone 7 screen superior to the Note 4's screen and dont miss the blacks at all on a mobile device.

Shocking a phone two years newer had a better screen.

I'd assume they are going OLED so they can make the phones even thinner or to cram more stuff like batteries inside.

And tell me what makes OLED better for use as a phone screen...

I didn't say it does did I? If you could comprehend what I wrote native you could understand. Every generation of screen has been getting better. Apple is pretty much at the can't get better with lcd point. Stop being a fanboy and breathe for a minute.

I didn't say it does did I? If you could comprehend what I wrote native you could understand. Every generation of screen has been getting better. Apple is pretty much at the can't get better with lcd point. Stop being a fanboy and breathe for a minute.

My point was that OLED panels have not improved at all really. They have no improved gamut or better viewing in direct sunlight and are basically identical. Aside from stupid 4K resolutions on some phones. I am not being a fanboy, I am just pointing out that OLED is not hands down superior for a phone, for a TV yes but they are completely different usages.

I love the stupidity of people who think just because Apple have chosen not to use OLED up to this point that they are either A. ripping you off or B. crap at engineering

A. ripping you off or B. crap at engineering

but it is crap, most of apple products are overpriced crap designed for technologically imbecile people. somehow hipsters like them too but hipsters are all fucking retarded anyway.

but it is crap, most of apple products are overpriced crap designed for technologically imbecile people. somehow hipsters like them too but hipsters are all fucking retarded anyway.

Go on...you seem to have very strong opinions.

Back