Apple Ordered To Pay $234M For Patent Infringement

HardOCP News

[H] News
A jury has ordered Apple to pay the University of Wisconsin-Madison more than $234 million in damages for patent infringement. As one might expect, Apple says it will appeal the verdict.

The amount was less than the $400 million the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) was claiming in damages after the jury on Tuesday said Apple (AAPL.O) infringed its patent for improving the performance of computer processors. WARF uses some of the income it generates to support research at the school, doling out more than $58 million in grants last year, according to its website.

I don't understand why they wouldn't want to "invest" in the research foundation by just paying it.

Not sure if there's a joke in here I'm not getting...

But based on revenue, it would take ~10 hours for them to make this back. On pure profit, 48 hours.

NET INCOME was 10.68 million for last quarter. Divided by 3 is 3.56 million per month. 234 million divided by 3.56 equals 65.73 months. I rounded up to 66 months. Not a joke.

NET INCOME was 10.68 million for last quarter. Divided by 3 is 3.56 million per month. 234 million divided by 3.56 equals 65.73 months. I rounded up to 66 months. Not a joke.

10.68 billion. Not million.

A good write up from WCCF Tech on the rumor.

AMD currently has at least 3 semi-custom designs in the pipeline in addition the the Xbox One and PS4, two x86 and one ARM. One of them is probably the new Nintendo console. It is always possible one of them is Apple.

Billions and not millions. According to a quick search Apple makes about $970,319 an hour in profit in 2014. $234 million is about 10 days of profits.

Billions and not millions. According to a quick search Apple makes about $970,319 an hour in profit in 2014. $234 million is about 10 days of profits.

Ok, my bad. It looked like 10 million. It is 10+ billion after checking another source. Anyway, yada yada yada, the 234 million can be made in 48 hours

I just realized I posted something in the wrong post. Too bad this forum has such a limited time to edit.

So anyway, what happens with the rest of the A7/A8 processors being manufactured? Does the university continue to revenue from Apple for here on out?

Back