Apple Notebooks

DaLurker

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking about getting an Apple Notebook, and I'm wondering what people's experiences are with them? Good? Bad? Anything in particular I should know about?

The other thing is it seems like there are two choices for apple notebooks. iBooks and Powerbooks. WHat are the differences exactly? It seems to me the main differences are:

1) Powerbook is Aluminum, iBook is plastic
2) Powerbook is slightly faster

Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks

both my lombard G3-400 and my titanium g400 (first one of the 15.2" widescreen) still work perfect

the only thing replaced has been the rom drives and the HD's

roms upgraded to dvd-rom and a dvd-cdrw
and both now have 30gb 4.2k's

i think the Ti powerbooks are better than the newer ones
Al just doesn't have anywhere near the strength

i think the last of the Ti's was the 15.2" 1.25ghz g4

DaLurker said:
I'm thinking about getting an Apple Notebook
Why Apple? According to your questions, it seems like you want to get a mobile Apple unit just because it's a Mac. Like: "Ok, one day I am gonna wake up and think differently...". They are indeed sweet little machines, but I think you may want to do more research before diving into something if you don't quite know. My recommendation is to go to an Apple store and start playing with them, get used to the single button touchpad, research around and see if your favorite programs are written for Mac OSX or if good alternatives are available. You'll be surprised on the powerful things you can do with:
1- A carefully configured regular laptop running FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux
2- An extra thousand bucks in your pocket

;)

Best of luck, let us know.

Walter

Treppiede said:
Why Apple? According to your questions, it seems like you want to get a mobile Apple unit just because it's a Mac. Like: "Ok, one day I am gonna wake up and think differently...". They are indeed sweet little machines, but I think you may want to do more research before diving into something if you don't quite know. My recommendation is to go to an Apple store and start playing with them, get used to the single button touchpad, research around and see if your favorite programs are written for Mac OSX or if good alternatives are available. You'll be surprised on the powerful things you can do with:
1- A carefully configured regular laptop running FreeBSD or some flavor of Linux
2- An extra thousand bucks in your pocket

;)

Best of luck, let us know.

Walter

Hey Walter, thanks for your advice there. I have thought thoroughly about this (albeit a bit short, but I'm not planning to get this for a few months yet). Here are my reasons:

Apple iBooks are actually fairly inexpensive. FOr $1200 CDN, I can get a 12" 1.2ghz G4, 256mb ram, built in Wifi and a Combo drive (not sure if it's DVDRW or CD-RW). $1200 is a lot less than any of those other ultra-portable laptops, with the exception of Avaratec (which I heard isn't that great).

Because the Apple Mac OS is based off of Unix, I would be able to write my Bash shell scripting, and C programming that currently I need a Linux box to do, right on Mac OS. Now I know there would be differences and what not, but I want to be able to write these things without going through Cygwin on windows, or loading up linux on another laptop (added to which like I mentioned, those laptop would be lower quality, and more expensive than an iBook)

So in a nutshell, I'm looking for a well constructed, long life ultra-portable notebook for a good price ($1200 CDN, or about $900 USD), and iBook seems to fit all of these categories, added to which it is based on a Unix environment, so I can do a lotta stuff on it that normally I would want Linux for (over Windows), and I can expose myself to another operating system (which makes me more versatile when I plan to apply for jobs).

So what are ppl's thoughts on iBooks? or my reasons for getting an iBook?

buy a new generation ibook. i did, i love it. theyre awesome for the price, build quality is top of the line too.

I recently purchased a iBook , I love it. The mouse one click does not bother me, it may take a little getting used to,to press a button then click. I would also recomend 512 ram upgrade... I REALLY recomend it. That's about all

DaLurker: in that case, you'll love one of those puppies. $1200CND seems a great price as well, have fun and let us know.

Walter

Yeah, looks like a lotta software I would need is already bundled with the iBook. Will I be able to use word documents on an Apple? Would I need to by Office? Or would it work with a text editor they bundle?

for the price of a decent apple notebook you can get a KILLER A64 laptop

for $2000CANADIAN from etccomputer.ca

you get the

Asus A2K laptop,

AMD 64 3000+ Mobile CPU
1GB Ram pc2700
Radeon9700 PRO 128MB Ram
80GB 5400 RPM Drive
SD and MS Reader
DVD Burner
intel 2200BG Wifi card

i picked up a little 800hmz G4 iBook 3 months ago and i havent touched my 2Ghz Dell laptop running slackware and BSD in over a month now.

There are small differences in the iBook and PB line. Processors, Hard Drives, Screens, Ports, Drives and more. Lots of little things too, like the external video port on my iBook can only mirror and only at the laptop's resolution. That one really bugs me, but it isnt the case on a Powerbook.

Id suggest a Powerbook over an iBook to any power user, the extra price is worth it, and as soon as they release the G5 PB and Tiger il have a 12" and a 17" in my grubby little hands.

klowngoblin said:
for the price of a decent apple notebook you can get a KILLER A64 laptop

for $2000CANADIAN from etccomputer.ca

you get the

Asus A2K laptop,

AMD 64 3000+ Mobile CPU
1GB Ram pc2700
Radeon9700 PRO 128MB Ram
80GB 5400 RPM Drive
SD and MS Reader
DVD Burner
intel 2200BG Wifi card

Well that laptop defeats the purpose of me having a laptop. I want something ultra-portable. Which means something less than 8 pounds at least (I carry a 10 pound Compaq right now). Also I'm NOT looking for a desktop replacement, I have a kickass system (see sig) at home. If you can provide me an ultra-portable, 12 inch laptop for $1200 CDN (like the iBook is, which btw I Heard is Fantastic), please do. I know there's the Averatec 3250h1 and 3220h1, but they get really hot, and the iBook has a much better construction.

Of course the innate advantage of going with the MAC is I get to use OS-X which is something else I want.

Back