Apple not recalling M1 due to screens cracking

If cracked screens are result i can see why they didn't bother. :D As usual apple going all out for the supposed holy grail of thinness and something else suffers as a result.
The cracked screens have usually been user errors, people dropping things on the laptop or forgetting earbuds in between when closing the screen. AFAIK it's not yet proven there is a manufacturing error because the same screen was used in the Intel version and no complaints came from there.

The cracked screens have usually been user errors, people dropping things on the laptop or forgetting earbuds in between when closing the screen. AFAIK it's not yet proven there is a manufacturing error because the same screen was used in the Intel version and no complaints came from there.
So what I'm hearing is apple users are idiots. :LOL:

Apple need to take ownership of this problem, its bad design.
We cant be expected to remember and be responsible for not closing a device from its edge, a ridiculous requirement.
Its time they employed people with enough skill to design products well enough for their price level.
Even at low price this would be unacceptable, with what Apple charge its a disgraceful scam.

Ive got well over a hundred of these things, no screens have cracked yet (I assume apple would just tell me im using them wrong anyway), but all of them have scuffs on the top cover from being carried with a charger on top of it. Even if youre super careful, the rubber they use on the charging cable will vibrate in place aggressively enough to create a ring of scuff marks.

Which is a shame, I do actually like the gunmetal color.

Even if youre super careful, the rubber they use on the charging cable will vibrate in place aggressively enough to create a ring of scuff marks.
Clearly, your users are carrying them wrong and need $999 iBackpacs. An add on pack to hold anything else costs an extra $499.

p-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F06%2Fapple-stand-meme.png

Touchpads there's a good argument, displays no. There are plenty of laptops out there with better displays.
Such as? For a similar price and package size, show me a laptop with the color gamut, brightness and resolution.

This has been a long time coming, they've been moving to more and more reliance on the rigidity of a plastic LCD panel backing (the internal part) as opposed to spending that money you give them on a fucking frame and chassis for the panel.
Why people still pay for this junk... I don't know.

yeah, but to be fair, I lose a lot of laptops from a lot of manufacturers each year to pens. Kids put it down at the top, forget it's there, and in their excitement to get out of class when the bell goes they aren't exactly gentle closing those lids and there goes a screen. Dell, Apple, Asus, Acer, none of them survive that one, though on the cheaper Acer Chromebooks it was breaking the hinge and the screen so that's a fun one, I don't even try to repair those ones, they just get scrapped for parts.

Though I must say my 2013 MBP's are god damned tanks, not only are they all still in operation on their original parts, batteries included, but at least 2 of them that I know of have noticeable bends in the display's case from getting slammed and warped over time and they are still kicking. Those things are gonna keep going until I can't update them and then probably going to install Batocera on each of them and turn them into emulator stations, because why not?

I stripped a mobo screw, and turned it into a flathead using a dremel. Well, I tried. I missed and put a slot shaped hole straight through the motherboard (the topmost screw, by a CPU VRM).
It sparked like crazy one single time, turned on, and I'm using it to type this. That was 8 months ago.

The stand cost as much as my whole monitor. And it wasn't a cheap monitor, 34" ultrawide, 160Hz, FreeSync, HDR, probably better than anything Apple has.

I actually have the stand for my Apple XDR display. Although, I ended up paying $400 and some change, as an open box from Amazon warehouse.

I don't know, I'm conflicted with the stand. The stand is actually extremely sturdy and has some pretty impressive engineering to the swivel mechanism. On top of that, the aluminum is much much thicker than the aluminum stand that's used in the iMac and the stand is ginormous compared to traditional stands. It's also really heavy too.

I'm not saying its worth the $999 price tag, but I am saying that the stand definitely does not look or feel cheap whatsoever. Also combined with the fact that its a low volume item as most professionals use their own monitor mounts.

I actually have the stand for my Apple XDR display. Although, I ended up paying $400 and some change, as an open box from Amazon warehouse.

I don't know, I'm conflicted with the stand. The stand is actually extremely sturdy and has some pretty impressive engineering to the swivel mechanism. On top of that, the aluminum is much much thicker than the aluminum stand that's used in the iMac and the stand is ginormous compared to traditional stands. It's also really heavy too.

I'm not saying its worth the $999 price tag, but I am saying that the stand definitely does not look or feel cheap whatsoever. Also combined with the fact that its a low volume item as most professionals use their own monitor mounts.
The Apple XDR display was one of the “cheapest” displays in its category that also had VESA mounts. The stand was for home users, offices and work spaces already had custom mounts on their desks for the monitors that those displays were marketed to make obsolete.

Last edited:
Apple need to take ownership of this problem, its bad design.
We cant be expected to remember and be responsible for not closing a device from its edge, a ridiculous requirement.
Its time they employed people with enough skill to design products well enough for their price level.
Even at low price this would be unacceptable, with what Apple charge its a disgraceful scam.
Bad design is a very charitable interpretation of what's happening. That would imply Apple doesn't know better. Do you really think they have a bunch of idiots designing their Macbooks every year? No way. They have some of the most talented people in the field and they know exactly what they're doing - they're paid incredibly well to be unethical and have blatant disregard for their customers (who are masochists).

Common sense would dictate that after fucking up by overcomplicating the design of one Macbook, there would be a course of action taken to prevent a scandal from happening again. Rather, Apple has doubled down on their shitty design philosophy. This means their newer laptops have complete and utter shit build quality. I insist on people opening up their Macbooks and study how the design has changed over the years. Nearly everything inside it is made with zero consideration of durability, and is ever more increasingly difficult to repair.

How many times does Apple have to design a product with a critical design flaw before people admit there's a pattern and it's no accident?

Apple is more about status than anything. Apple is what successful professionals use, after all. Trust me, I saw it in a commercial.

Bad design is a very charitable interpretation of what's happening. That would imply Apple doesn't know better. Do you really think they have a bunch of idiots designing their Macbooks every year? No way. They have some of the most talented people in the field and they know exactly what they're doing - they're paid incredibly well to be unethical and have blatant disregard for their customers (who are masochists).

Common sense would dictate that after fucking up by overcomplicating the design of one Macbook, there would be a course of action taken to prevent a scandal from happening again. Rather, Apple has doubled down on their shitty design philosophy. This means their newer laptops have complete and utter shit build quality. I insist on people opening up their Macbooks and study how the design has changed over the years. Nearly everything inside it is made with zero consideration of durability, and is ever more increasingly difficult to repair.

How many times does Apple have to design a product with a critical design flaw before people admit there's a pattern and it's no accident?

Apple is more about status than anything. Apple is what successful professionals use, after all. Trust me, I saw it in a commercial.
Dude, you're picking the wrong fight!

Well lets see anyway...
They decided not to support the display panel with anything but the plastic surround.
A design decision thats bad.

Its not to say they didnt have plenty of very good design options, they just didnt choose the best - possibly to lose weight, reduce size, save money, trusting the wrong persons results, etc.
The usual reasons.
It shows they are a normal business, not one that can be relied upon without question.

Note, I didnt say there arent other problems with them, I just got straight to the point with this issue.

Dude, you're picking the wrong fight!

Well lets see anyway...
They decided not to support the display panel with anything but the plastic surround.
A design decision thats bad.

Its not to say they didnt have plenty of very good design options, they just didnt choose the best - possibly to lose weight, reduce size, save money, trusting the wrong persons results, etc.
The usual reasons.
It shows they are a normal business, not one that can be relied upon without question.

Note, I didnt say there arent other problems with them, I just got straight to the point with this issue.
Sorry I'm not taking this out on you personally. Having said that, people not willing to have principles or standards is why companies like Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc. can thrive at our expense. Malicious or ignorant, it's the same difference to me, and this applies to the people who support these companies.

Last edited:
Sometimes you don't have a choice, though, or not much of a real choice. But other times the big companies make you feel like you don't have options when you do.

Like for desktop, I feel like Linux is finally viable. In fact better for some stuff than Windows or macOS, but it can be inconvenient at times and it still doesn't "just work" but you *can* get it to work if you roll your sleeves up.

But for mobile it is basically Apple, or Google, or the highway. I know you can get custom ROMs and stuff, and there are Linux mobile projects, but honestly they are just not there and I'm not sure they ever will be.

Yes, if you want to be hardcore desperado you can do it, but usually the newer better phones aren't fully unlocked, and the open-source phones are junk (720p screens, old chips, etc.). So it's a huge trade-off.

New M1X chip getting announced tomorrow in new MacBook Pros?

People have been waiting to upgrade since like 2016 apparently.

SmartSelect_20211017-205519_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
New M1X chip getting announced tomorrow in new MacBook Pros?

People have been waiting to upgrade since like 2016
got tossed that bone for the AMD accelerator card upgrades that will tide a lot of users over but yeah totally.

So what I'm hearing is apple users are idiots. :LOL:

I don't know man.

I have a few laptops. I'm not perfect. I've had a few occasions when I have not noticed something and closed the lid. It has never resulted in the screen breaking.

If these machines really are that fragile, it does seem like it could amount to a design flaw, IMHO.

They really ought to be more robust than that.

I don't know man.

I have a few laptops. I'm not perfect. I've had a few occasions when I have not noticed something and closed the lid. It has never resulted in the screen breaking.

If these machines really are that fragile, it does seem like it could amount to a design flaw, IMHO.

They really ought to be more robust than that.
I just got handed a busted Latitude 3500, broke the screen when they put their bag down too hard (or so they claim) in either event screen very nicely shattered from corner to corner but no noticeable damage to the chassis. Thin computers don't have a lot of buffer room and tempered glass is great for straight-on impacts but more susceptible to shattering from side impacts. It's just the nature of the materials.
This will likely get sorted in the next year or 3 when they start using transparent aluminium with an anti-scratch coating, but the pricing on that is just too high right now.

I just got handed a busted Latitude 3500, broke the screen when they put their bag down too hard (or so they claim) in either event screen very nicely shattered from corner to corner but no noticeable damage to the chassis. Thin computers don't have a lot of buffer room and tempered glass is great for straight-on impacts but more susceptible to shattering from side impacts. It's just the nature of the materials.
This will likely get sorted in the next year or 3 when they start using transparent aluminium with an anti-scratch coating, but the pricing on that is just too high right now.

Transparent aluminum you say?

Back