Apple Magic Trackpad

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
The last thread on this product was locked because some kids can't play nice in the school yard! :p

Anyway... I received my Magic Trackpad today and thought I'd share my opinion on it with you fine folks.
First off here's a picture of the pad:
dsc00253k.jpg

This is basically the exact same trackpad you get on the latest Macbook Pros but as you can see it's a bit bigger which actually works out great on my 27" iMac. The size helps you track quickly and accurately on a 2560X1440 resolution display. All the multitouch gestures are here as well and I find that this greatly increases my overall experience with OSX 10. The Magic mouse is a good product but it's a bit awkward to use if you split your time between a Macbook Pro and a desktop Mac like an iMac or a Mac Pro. Now switching between apps or activating Expose is much faster and intuitive. You have to make a few sacrifies when using a PC mouse or the Magic mouse on a desktop Mac but now it all works exactly as it should. I'm really happy with this device and (as I mentioned) if you're someone that uses both a Macbook and a desktop Mac this purchase is a no brainer. I highly recommend it! :)

The mouse acceleration built in to OSX feels a lot better with a touchpad. I've never liked using a mouse with my MB. This product seems great for OSX. On top of all that, the multi-touch features work really well.

I agree. Using my iMac has never felt this great! The only thing I wonder is what took Apple so long to release something like this?

Stupid Apple won't make drivers for 10.5.8 so now I have to get Snow Leopard. Grrrr...

I wish apple made it so that it doubles as a numpad.

I was debating picking one of these up...they do look great, and I agree that the trackpad acceleration on my MBP has always felt better than when I have a USB mouse plugged in.

how does it feel ?!? does it work? does it work with windows? is it better than a mouse? is it like a touchpad?

@ SixWattMan: IMO using a PC mouse on a Mac desktop leaves a lot to be desired. The latest build of OSX really takes advantage of the abilities a multitouch trackpad has to offer. Things like fast app switching, Expose, Spaces and image manipulation are much easier to execute using a multitouch trackpad. With a PC mouse you have to use a combination of keyboard keys and mouse clicks to do the same tasks.

@ ar09: The Magic Trackpad is a joy to use. Fast, accurate and if you've used the newer Macbook Pros it immediately feels "right". At default settings your finger movements are precise and all the multitouch abilities increase you productivity in OSX. Since the entire pad is a button you can opt to click the lower corners for left and right button actions or activate finger taps to perform similar functions. When used with OSX I feel that this trackpad out performs any mouse. As per using this product with Windows I have yet to try this out. I do have a bootcamp partition with Windows 7 installed so I'll see how this touchpad works in that environment soon.

is it like a touchpad? does it feel like one? i hate touchpads!:(

thanks for reply.
but how does it feel.... is it the same feeling as a typical touchpad. and if yes, whats the point then????;):D:(:)

thanks for reply.
but how does it feel.... is it the same feeling as a typical touchpad. and if yes, whats the point then????;):D:(:)

I was doubtful of the touchpad when I got my MBP. Once I had to use it because I had no mouse with me I found it to simply be the best thing. It is not like other track pads. The accuracy and responsiveness are second to none.

wow thanks
thats what i want to know
then there is a difference, it is just not like the other devices we already have huh!
i dont like this pad, but it is good to know that apple doesnt make things only to look good
i want to buy that apple keyboard with the numeric pad, the wired version.

My biggest complaint is you can't use it if you have USB Overdrive installed. I had to uninstall that, which means I lose the thumb buttons on my Logitech mouse.

My biggest complaint is you can't use it if you have USB Overdrive installed. I had to uninstall that, which means I lose the thumb buttons on my Logitech mouse.

Thanks for the info. No magic trackpad for me then. I refuse to give up my Logitech mouse.

I'm using a Logitech G9X as my main mouse (right hand side of keyboard). I have the keyboard in the centre and my Magic Trackpad on the left of the keyboard. My right hand uses the Logitech Mouse for moving and left/right click and my left hand uses the Magic Trackpad for scrolling, zooming, gestures etc. It works a treat and feels like you are captaining a vessell !!!!

I'm using a Logitech G9X as my main mouse (right hand side of keyboard). I have the keyboard in the centre and my Magic Trackpad on the left of the keyboard. My right hand uses the Logitech Mouse for moving and left/right click and my left hand uses the Magic Trackpad for scrolling, zooming, gestures etc. It works a treat and feels like you are captaining a vessell !!!!

When I play Starcraft 2 I plug in my Logi G5 and move the MTP to left of the keyboard just like you mentioned. ;)

Back