apple mac mini subwoofer hook up

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i have my av30 and a sub connected to my asus xonar via 3.5 stereo jacks. 3.5 x 1 for the av30 and 1 x for the subwoofer. now i want to plug my setup into my mac mini but it only has one 3.5 jack do i need some kind of amp? or do i just need a "Y" adapter
thanks

What subwoofer do you have?

You might be able to go Mini -> sub -> av30.

With the 2.26 Mini, I went from Mini -> Optical -> Receiver -> Sub/speakers

Mini -> 3.5m splitter -> 3.5 to RCA -> AV30
Mini -> 3.5m splitter -> 3.5 to RCA -> Subwoofer

I don't know how it'll sound, I'm hoping the Energy's crossover is smart enough.

The Mini only has a speaker/headphone output and optical output and I'm not sure if there are any USB soundcards that would work for you.

Mini -> 3.5m splitter -> 3.5 to RCA -> AV30
Mini -> 3.5m splitter -> 3.5 to RCA -> Subwoofer

I don't know how it'll sound, I'm hoping the Energy's crossover is smart enough.

The Mini only has a speaker/headphone output and optical output and I'm not sure if there are any USB soundcards that would work for you.
thanks...anyone else have any idea?

Another option would be for you to split the right channel signal of the AV30.

AV30 right speaker output -> 2 way splitter

splitter -> sub
splitter -> right speaker of the AV30

Problem with this method is that you only get the right channel for the sub and I'm not sure the av30 sends a full range signal to the amp in the first place.

A y-splitter would work assuming that your sub has an intelligent enough crossover. Failing that, you need a receiver or to build your own crossover (there's not really an OTS solution for this sort of thing. They're often built into 2.1 sets with a passthrough)

Back