Apple M1 SOC platform discussion

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
yeah but now the m1 single thread performance makes ryzen look like shit

and that's a letdown for amd. even more so for intel.
Okay? I'm a 100% Mac user and even I would say: "who cares"? If a computing device doesn't do what you need it to do then it literally doesn't matter if a single specification on it is faster. The M1 could 1000% faster in single core than Ryzen, but if you want to run Windows and play games then it would still be irrelevant.
i wonder what would happen if m1 were a 45w tdp

View attachment 301020
As for "Pro" variants, those will come mostly next year I imagine. The Mac Pro likely will get updated last. The iMac Pro slightly before that. And I'm sure the Macbook Pro 16" and 27" (or whatever size for their Pro machine) a bit before that. I'm guessing a 20-24" iMac will be next but I'm uncertain whether or not it will be running M1 or something faster (they could add more CPU or GPU cores). But even still, it won't matter if none of these machines do what you want them to do.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness

chithanh

Gawd
Microsoft will essentially have to hack the bootloader to get around the M1's secure enclave boot process.
As far as I understand it, it is possible to switch the Apple bootloader to "permissive mode" which allows the user to enroll their own bootloader hashes/keys in the firmware. At least that is how folks plan to run Linux on it. Like Linux, Microsoft will probably have to make changes to the OS or establish a minimal hypervisor which emulates the parts that don't exist in the ARM Macs.

https://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?threadid=196533&curpostid=196580

NIZMOZ

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw this article too. But its a bit disingenuous. If Apple doesn't actually make a bootcamp client then Microsoft will essentially have to hack the bootloader to get around the M1's secure enclave boot process. But FWIW this gives credence to your rumor - still we're a long way out from seeing what actually happens.
There maybe a way to dual boot it, like you can with Windows. I am just thinking out loud here, but I am sure there will be other ways than bootcamp.

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
I don’t know why there was a disconnect, but this would be a stumbling block to M1 adoption at fleet scale until state is known good: https://www.docker.com/blog/apple-silicon-m1-chips-and-docker/
https://github.com/docker/buildx#building-multi-platform-images

Judging by the threads on GitHub there’s too many people jumping the gun.
Hopefully they are just frustrated with personally owned gear and didn’t convince someone to burn their end of year budget.

8F314DC9-4399-4D06-83DD-9B251BEE97D3.png

Last edited:

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone done any C or Java programming on the new Macs yet? Was curious how the IDEs are performing. I am slightly considering getting a mac mini to play around with and use as a option of last resort for my programming courses should my laptop die on me.

somebrains

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone done any C or Java programming on the new Macs yet? Was curious how the IDEs are performing. I am slightly considering getting a mac mini to play around with and use as a option of last resort for my programming courses should my laptop die on me.

Setup a Dev instance using the Cloud9 ide and give it a whirl.
I can see bloggers getting way into this bc I'd fire my build instance off a git or code pipeline hook, then terminate the instance so I'm paying minimal time on it.

Also this is interesting:

Last edited: