Apple loses copyright battle against security start-up Corellium Focused on iOS Virtualization

erek

[H]F Junkie
"Alexander Urbelis, a partner at the Blackstone Law Group in New York, said Tuesday’s court decision could lead to more innovation in cybersecurity research.
“This ruling makes it possible for cybersecurity researchers to virtualize and test distinct components of third-party software for security vulnerabilities, which is something that has been lacking in the security community in part because of the fear of legal liability,” he said. For instance, Urbelis, who was once acting chief security officer for the NFL, said “unfettered vulnerability hunting” could help stop big “supply chain” hacks such as the one that affected Solar Winds. That recently discovered hack allegedly gave Russian hackers access to a vast trove of U.S. government data.
Over the weekend, Forbes named Corellium the best cybersecurity product of the year."

1609301578388.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/12/29/apple-corellium-lawsuit/

Nice, because you know there are teams of people trying to do just this very thing to find and exploit the security holes. Too much money in it for there not to be and those ones aren't worried about the legal ramifications of their work.

This is compelling bc testing builds on device farms or doing pre-build device deployment checks has been underutilized.
I’ll point to simple bad cut and pastes on iOS and Android that screwed up audio & networking that should never have made sign off.

You can have a ball in a forensic environment testing whatever hot pirate app is of the month.

I feel more secure just seeing Amanda making those iDevices quiver nervously.

I wonder if Apple is going to appeal. This might only be Round 1 of a multi-round battle.

Mega6
I did read it all , did you? It states

...Apple initially attempted to acquire Corellium in 2018, according to court records. When the acquisition talks stalled, Apple sued Corellium last year, c....

Back