Apple Launches iMac With Coffee Lake and Vega

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Today, Apple updated its iMac lineup with 9th generation Intel processors and AMD Vega graphics. The 21.5 inch iMac now sports up to 6 cores, while the 27 inch iMac gets what's presumably a fully enabled 8-core Coffee Lake die. Apple also says they're they're offering "Radeon Pro Vega graphics" in both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs. The subtext reveals that the smaller iMac has an optional "Vega 20" graphics card, while the larger one features the long-rumored Radeon Pro Vega 48. It's not clear if we'll ever see desktop gaming versions of these Vega GPUs, but some people have already pointed out that smaller Vega GPUs could cut into sales for the recently-launched RX 590.

Apple revolutionized personal technology with the introduction of the Macintosh in 1984. Today, Apple leads the world in innovation with iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Apple TV. Apple's four software platforms - iOS, macOS, watchOS and tvOS - provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud. Apple's more than 100,000 employees are dedicated to making the best products on earth, and to leaving the world better than we found it.

My 5k iMac circa 2014 is still chugging nicely along with an i5 and old school Radeon. Plays the games I want to play on it just fine..

My 5k iMac circa 2014 is still chugging nicely along with an i5 and old school Radeon. Plays the games I want to play on it just fine..

I have a 2009 iMac (got from my dad after they got a new mac mini last year) that works great after upgrading the mem from the original 2gb to 8gb and swapping in a SSD. Granted I dont use it to play games, but it is zippier than the Mac Mini that replaced it for sure. Only bad thing is it's limited to an older OS due to Apple's planned obsolescence tactics...

I have a 2009 iMac (got from my dad after they got a new mac mini last year) that works great after upgrading the mem from the original 2gb to 8gb and swapping in a SSD. Granted I dont use it to play games, but it is zippier than the Mac Mini that replaced it for sure. Only bad thing is it's limited to an older OS due to Apple's planned obsolescence tactics...

At least to could upgrade the ram, unlike many of the newer Mac's...… They wanted to make sure there was no way around that planned obsolescence.

At least to could upgrade the ram, unlike many of the newer Mac's...… They wanted to make sure there was no way around that planned obsolescence.

The new laptops are the worst... No mem or storage upgrades available whatsoever. I have one like that from my employer and its from 2015, I would never personally purchase one...

The new laptops are the worst... No mem or storage upgrades available whatsoever. I have one like that from my employer and its from 2015, I would never personally purchase one...

If anyone calls in asking for repairs or help with most Macs especially the newer laptops I just turn them away.

normally a coffee lake is not something you want anywhere near your electronics. What's next, electrical fire?

Crushin' candy like a boss.

LOL :) I play Rocket League mainly on it when all other gaming devices are occupied. It also plays Hitman, Doom, Quake, all quite well and I don't mean the originals :)

Back