Apple Launches 3G iPad

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Apple rolled out it's second phase of their popular iPad on Friday afternoon. This more expensive version is 3G Wi-Fi compatible and proposed to be a possible replacement for the laptop.

Although the event certainly lacked the buildup and excitement of the April 3 debut — with the heartiest waiting in line overnight — some Apple retail stores in big cities still saw decent-sized crowds ahead of the 5 p.m. launch.

The iPad still will not support flash, it won't have multi-tasking ability until mid fall; l guess l still don't see how it can be considered a laptop replacement.

The headline should read:

"Apple rolls out new version of iPad...that supports 3G...already this soon...on april 30th...which happens to be the same month on the same year that the first version was released...expect new version next month that supports limited USB connectivity! *facepalm*"

Yup, and my manager at work left 2 hours early to go to buffalo to get one XD

It better be fun, cause it was busy last night 30m after he left hahah

Wonder how many people bought the one a few weeks ago and now turned around and bought this new one.

I played around with one a few weeks ago. I was so underwhelmed by it. If they'd done even a convertible touchscreen on a traditional small MacBook i'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I just don't see how Apple could have had it's finger so far off of the pulse on this one. Apple fans have been waiting on a MacOS tablet for years. there are custom options but wow they're pricey.

I played around with one a few weeks ago. I was so underwhelmed by it. If they'd done even a convertible touchscreen on a traditional small MacBook i'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I just don't see how Apple could have had it's finger so far off of the pulse on this one. Apple fans have been waiting on a MacOS tablet for years. there are custom options but wow they're pricey.

They know it will sell no matter what they release, that and they have all the media outlets licking ass.

They know it will sell no matter what they release, that and they have all the media outlets licking ass.

They probably would have used a wheel interface if the Onion hadn't done such a good job on the Mac Book Wheel parody, which has the two best Apple related quotes of all time.

"I'll by anything if it's shiny and made by Apple."

and...

"It remains to be seen if The Wheel will catch on in the business world where people use computers for actual work and not just dicking around."

Swap out "The Wheel" with "iPad" and you've got life imitating art. :p

Put on Skype and get unlimited plan, and you got a really big phone!

The one thing I like about this is that there is no contract for data service.
You can purchase 250MB or unlimited right on the device itself and cancel any time.

It doesn't have the feel of burden like a cell phone contract where you gotta pay for voice, or any texts people send you even if you tell them not to.

As good as the device is having used my friends iPad no flash support no purchase.

i think its totally hypocritical that people have been saying for years, when it comes to web standards, open standards are greater and better for everyone than closed standards

were not talking operating systems, or hardware platforms. this is strictly about web standards.

its why getting people to dump realplayer back in the day was such an important movement, and why mpeg video and mpeg audio were both the right choices for everyone on any platform. also why h.246 is a better standard than wmv.

but because apple is the company touting it, the haters have to come out, just like they did when apple decided to start shipping computers without floppy drives 13 years ago when they shipped the first imac's.

attacking apple for dumping flash is disingenuous at best

i think its totally hypocritical that people have been saying for years, when it comes to web standards, open standards are greater and better for everyone than closed standards

were not talking operating systems, or hardware platforms. this is strictly about web standards.

its why getting people to dump realplayer back in the day was such an important movement, and why mpeg video and mpeg audio were both the right choices for everyone on any platform. also why h.246 is a better standard than wmv.

but because apple is the company touting it, the haters have to come out, just like they did when apple decided to start shipping computers without floppy drives 13 years ago when they shipped the first imac's.

The difference is that Flash is extremely widespread, and is used for probably, what, 90 percent of the web's video content? It's not people attacking Apple - it's Apple acting like a bunch of arrogant fucks and deliberately castrating their products. Don't get me wrong - I'm way excited about HTML5 and it's video capabilities...but lets not forget that the standard isn't even complete yet and won't see widespread use for a WHILE. The fact is that Apple has to do MORE work to make some of their products non-flash-compatible than if they just threw Flash support in there and made all their users happy.

But no. Flash is the devil, and Apple will not give in to temptation! :rolleyes:

No, its just being honest, since no flash limits its usability as an internet device, one of its KEY SELLING POINTS!

BTW, the 1st Imac had floppy drives, you just had to buy it seperatly, for a really high price. Back then, floppy's were still used a lot since flash drives were not yet cheep enough to replace them. Apple has had a track reccord for removing important things from base systems, and then selling it back too you for a really high price. Lets not forget about the MacBook Air's lack of CD/DVD drive, but they will sell you an external one. Or how about the Ipad's lack of USB, but again, they will sell you an external one. Its this contant raping of there loyal customers that makes me hate them. Im really suprised they dont have propriatary headphone jacks for there Ipod's, but that may just be around the corner. :rolleyes:

Lets not forget about the MacBook Air's lack of CD/DVD drive, but they will sell you an external one.

They designed the air to be a thin and "very mobile" device, promoted it as part of your "wireless lifestyle" etc.

In lieu of a physical optical drive, they provided free software that wirelessly installs software from any physical CD/DVD drive in either a Mac or Windows PC.

im aware of what the imac did or didnt have. i owned a bondi blue one.

floppy's were still there as an option. i didnt need one, i rarely used floppies. nobody i knew at the time used them anymore as well.

and they werent any more expensive as external floppies for the other closed standard computer at the time. the amiga 1200. which i owned at the same time as well.

Im really suprised they dont have propriatary headphone jacks for there Ipod's, but that may just be around the corner. :rolleyes:

Actually that has already came to some point. For the newer shuffles you have to have apple branded headphones in order to adjust the volume and have your control buttons. or you can purchase an adaptor from apple that will then give you the controls and let you use any headphones that you want. I believe somebody said the iPhone is similar when it comes to headsets.

Actually that has already came to some point. For the newer shuffles you have to have apple branded headphones in order to adjust the volume and have your control buttons. or you can purchase an adaptor from apple that will then give you the controls and let you use any headphones that you want. I believe somebody said the iPhone is similar when it comes to headsets.

I think early generation iPhones required an adapter to use third party headphones because the jack is recessed into the phone where normal mini jack cannot plug all the way into it.

My iPhone 3Gs works fine with my Bose Triport headphones by itself.

They use TRRS for Stereo sound + Mic input in one connector, this is also found in laptops and (more commonly) netbooks. Third party vendors like Scosche make fully compatible Shuffle/iPhone headphones, featuring the in-line controls. I own a pair and they sound pretty good. Way better than Apple's.

and it looks like Dean Hachamovitch, General Manager of the Internet Explorer team at Microsoft agrees with apple and their feelings about html 5

Microsoft Blog said:
There’s been a lot of posting about video and video formats on the web recently. This is a good opportunity to talk about Microsoft’s point of view.

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

H.264 is an industry standard, with broad and strong hardware support. Because of this standardization, you can easily take what you record on a typical consumer video camera, put it on the web, and have it play in a web browser on any operating system or device with H.264 support (e.g. a PC with Windows 7). Recently, we publicly showed IE9 playing H.264-encoded video from YouTube. You can read about the benefits of hardware acceleration here, or see an example of the benefits at the 26:35 mark here. For all these reasons, we’re focusing our HTML5 video support on H.264.

Other codecs often come up in these discussions. The distinction between the availability of source code and the ownership of the intellectual property in that available source code is critical. Today, intellectual property rights for H.264 are broadly available through a well-defined program managed by MPEG LA. The rights to other codecs are often less clear, as has been described in the press. Of course, developers can rely on the H.264 codec and hardware acceleration support of the underlying operating system, like Windows 7, without paying any additional royalty.

Today, video on the web is predominantly Flash-based. While video may be available in other formats, the ease of accessing video using just a browser on a particular website without using Flash is a challenge for typical consumers. Flash does have some issues, particularly around reliability, security, and performance. We work closely with engineers at Adobe, sharing information about the issues we know of in ongoing technical discussions. Despite these issues, Flash remains an important part of delivering a good consumer experience on today’s web.

Dean Hachamovitch
General Manager, Internet Explorer

source: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/04/29/html5-video.aspx

Wonder how many people bought the one a few weeks ago and now turned around and bought this new one.
Hopefully not too many, but one never knows...

If they'd done even a convertible touchscreen on a traditional small MacBook i'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I just don't see how Apple could have had it's finger so far off of the pulse on this one. Apple fans have been waiting on a MacOS tablet for years.
OS X isn't really designed for touch input, though. Microsoft is a bit further ahead on the curve than Apple is on that at the moment, and opinions about how well that works are mixed.

I don't know if using OS X with a touchscreen would be horrible, but I don't think it would be a particularly good.

Happy netbook user here. 3 pounds of awesomeness that supports flash :)

Back