Apple is the Enemy of the Future

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many times have we told you guys this? Sheesh, I see how it is, it takes Nintendo saying it to make anyone listen!! ;)

Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo president, is understood to have told his senior executives recently to regard the battle with Sony as a victory already won and to treat Apple, and its iPhone and iPad devices, as the “enemy of the future” .

As far as competing with Sony and Nintendo, Nintendo just needs to make the Wii $99 already. That's like the 2nd magic pricepoint :D It's time for a hefty price drop.

I'm hoping the next Nintendo device is like a Ipod touch. Except without that damn slippery aluminum back, and some actual buttons and a d-pad.

A DS style device with bigger screens and newer tech would do for me nicely.

apple is the enemy of any freedom or speach/open source loving person.

Even dropping the price to $99 won't help the Wii for long, just like the new version in Black and including sport resort isn't going to do much.

They need to update the Wii with alot more internal flash, or the ability to directly use an add-on SD card or USB drive (not the copy to/from work around they implimented with 4.0.

They also need to add HDMI out & at least 720p resolution (they can just scale up the current 480p for existing games)

Plus come out with a new 1 piece controller that includes the motion plus, instead of making it a $20 add-on.

Apple is the enemy of my wallet.

http://www.apple.com/opensource/

While the argument can be made that most of the stuff they contribute to can probably be used in linux (I know they're similar, I haven't researched to what degree they are). When all what I see is "Used in: Mac OS X" you know that they are looking out for themselves.

In before Apple hater, I'm considering an ipad.

A hardware and content distribution supporting open source. That's as easy as a fat person loving pizza.

At any rate I do think that people are burning themselves out over Apple. The iDevices are nice but where does Apple go from here? They're running out of iDevices to make and there's going to be more competition in the slate space before long and as big as the iPhone is it's still a small part of a much larger market still.

There's a lot of room for people if they use their heads.

The story is about how Nintendo feels like the iPhone is beating the Nintendo DS line. I don't know if most consumers even think of the DS competing with the iPhone; I had to read the article to find out what Nintendo's beef with Apple was.

Seriously, if Nintendo isn't going to start making phones, how can they ever even begin to compete with Apple in the handheld front?

Oh, Nintendo, arrogant and complacent once again. You figure they would've learned to be more humble after Sony, their non-threat, stomped them into the ground 2 generations in a row. Hell, even Microsoft, being a fresh newcomer, smacked around Nintendo with the Xbox. Oh well, they'll learn once again.

I'm an Apple paradox: Love my new MacBook Pro, hate my iPhone (tho, it's better since the Spirit jailbreak was released).

You know what I think? I think it's time that Nintendo made a cell phone, a gaming cell phone.

As far as competing with Sony and Nintendo, Nintendo just needs to make the Wii $99 already. That's like the 2nd magic pricepoint :D It's time for a hefty price drop.

I'm hoping the next Nintendo device is like a Ipod touch. Except without that damn slippery aluminum back, and some actual buttons and a d-pad.

A DS style device with bigger screens and newer tech would do for me nicely.

Nintendo does need to drop the price down to $99, but they need to stop this casual gaming crap and move onto the stuff they were known for. I said casual gaming was a fad, and it looks like it's just about over. Give the real gamers the games they want.

Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo president, is understood to have told his senior executives recently to regard the battle with Sony as a victory already won and to treat Apple, and its iPhone and iPad devices, as the “enemy of the future” .

Except that Nintendo can't compete with Apple. If using the UI on the DSI/Wii is anything to go by, they are far behind microsoft and even Sony with it comes to their interface. Their own apps on the DSI suck, and they're garbage, and the interface sucks even more.

The iDevices sell well because they're easy to use and have a great UI, and have good integration with itunes. Nintendo knows nothing about good UI, and their own software outside of games suck.

They don't have sony beat either. If they think they can just go the next generation with another underpowered console in the name of gameplay, they're out of their minds.

iPhone has emerged as a formidable competitor for Nintendo in the handheld gaming arena once dominated by the DS console.

lolwut?

DS has, does, and will continue dominating the CRAP out of the handheld gaming market.

As for the Wii...well, honestly, with the number of people who have bought Wii's being so dramatically huge, it's no wonder sales are declining. I mean, really...once everyone has something, how is a company supposed to sell MORE? :p

lolwut?

DS has, does, and will continue dominating the CRAP out of the handheld gaming market.

As for the Wii...well, honestly, with the number of people who have bought Wii's being so dramatically huge, it's no wonder sales are declining. I mean, really...once everyone has something, how is a company supposed to sell MORE? :p

they can sell more, or at least increase profits by starting to take their system seriously... the casual market has pretty much all purchased the wii at this point. They need to start winning back the mainstream and hardcore markets with a focus on quality, engaging titles, and a larger localization list from whats out in japan.

I'm not holding my breath though, when mother 3 didn't get a localization I realized that nintendo just doesn't give a shit about it's fans in America

Oh, Nintendo, arrogant and complacent once again. You figure they would've learned to be more humble after Sony, their non-threat, stomped them into the ground 2 generations in a row. Hell, even Microsoft, being a fresh newcomer, smacked around Nintendo with the Xbox. Oh well, they'll learn once again.

Nintendo has sold almost as many Wii's as MS and Sony have sold their consoles... combined!

If having twice as much share as either of them is your version of getting "stomped", then you must think MS is the smallest player in the PC market...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Current_generation

Iirc Jpn's nintendo whateveritwas' sales during the Xbox era were near equal to the Xbox's worldwide sales at the time.

Looking at that wiki article, I guess the figure may have lumped PS2 sales w/ nintendo's. Hard to say as I think the article was from 98 or so.

Funny, I've thought of Nintendo as the "enemy of future gaming" since the Wiis debut.

"Amazing" how this is an article about the DS and the iPhone and the majority of comments are about the Wii. Nintendo should start looking at more than Apple as enemies...:eek:

The thing is, it's like comparing proper PC games with casual web browser games. Sure, millions of people will play games on Apple devices, but do those people really consider it "gaming" in the sense that Nintendo understand it, or is it just a convenient way to pass the time on a device they already carry around while they're on the train etc?

That is what they use
One would find it difficult to be an enemy of something that one uses. And, no, that isn't simply what Apple uses: it also lists what Apple actively participates in, sometimes on a major level (like Clang, for instance). And then there's what's not on the list. WebKit, for instance.

So, no, that isn't accurate at all.

apple are not FOSS-friendly
I genuinely don't understand how you could say this. What is it, specifically, that makes Apple 'unfriendly' toward open source software? Is it the fact that Apple also produces proprietary software that makes them "not FOSS-friendly"?

they can sell more, or at least increase profits by starting to take their system seriously... the casual market has pretty much all purchased the wii at this point. They need to start winning back the mainstream and hardcore markets with a focus on quality, engaging titles, and a larger localization list from whats out in japan.

I'm not holding my breath though, when mother 3 didn't get a localization I realized that nintendo just doesn't give a shit about it's fans in America

Earthbound selling about as well as ice cream in Antarctica might have something to do with them not wanting to take the risk on Mother 3. Also the fact that no matter how good of a job they did the ungrateful asshat fans would bitch and moan anyway and not buy it in enough bulk to make up for the likely costly translation.

I genuinely don't understand how you could say this. What is it, specifically, that makes Apple 'unfriendly' toward open source software? Is it the fact that Apple also produces proprietary software that makes them "not FOSS-friendly"?

Using FOSS software in your application doesn't make you FOSS friendly. FOSS flourishes due to contributions to the community not utilizing work created by the community. Apples sticks to BSD/Apache licensed software because you aren't required by their licenses to contribute back to these types of projects. They then tack proprietary toolkits (Cocoa/NextStep) on top of their platform to make porting applications to FOSS platforms practically impossible. I can't think of one contributions by Apple (webkit aside) that has made FOSS platforms any more appealing.

Sure..Apple is committed to open source and C# is a portable standard language. I think the only thing worse then leveraging proprietary apps and services to lock customers into your platform is pretending that you are for interoperability,open standards, and/or open source while locking your customers into iCrap.

FOSS flourishes due to contributions to the community not utilizing work created by the community.
Of which Apple isn't impeding.

They then tack proprietary toolkits (Cocoa/NextStep) on top of their platform to make porting applications to FOSS platforms practically impossible.
You certainly don't have to use Apple's Carbon or Cocoa frameworks to create applications for OS X. Developers choose to because of the ease of implementation. In the end, it's their choice.

And, no, it doesn't making porting "practically impossible". Developers are doing it every day.

I can't think of one contributions by Apple (webkit aside) that has made FOSS platforms any more appealing.
I mentioned Clang earlier, which is an Apple-sponsored WIP C front-end for the cross-platform LLVM compiler which runs on Linux/UNIX and other operating systems (compiles C code twice as fast as GCC, supposedly, and implements more C99 features than GCC).

But, even if we leave out WebKit and Clang for the sake of discussion, is Apple an enemy to free open source software because of Carbon and Cocoa? Would being friendly to free open source software mean that one cannot produce any proprietary software or is there some arbitrary line drawn in the sand where X number of proprietary products is too many?

I think the only thing worse then leveraging proprietary apps and services to lock customers into your platform is pretending that you are for interoperability,open standards, and/or open source while locking your customers into iCrap.
I don't see how any company could ever hope to compete in any market if everything they produce is open and free for others to implement. Apple produces and sells proprietary software for profit and at least a small part of these profits are recycled into the development of open source software. Without profits, there would be no contributions.

Frankly, it all seems like bitching for the sake of bitching rather than a legitimate, logical gripe with Apple's practices.

Nintendo has also suffered from the financial crisis. Households around the world spent most of last year in full belt-tightening mode, and remain cautious about buying games with a relatively short playing-life.

Did anyone really not see this coming? Your casual gamers aren't like the hardcore. Where we just keep throwing out dollars at games that last less than 8 hours.

They need to update the Wii with alot more internal flash, or the ability to directly use an add-on SD card or USB drive (not the copy to/from work around they implimented with 4.0.

They also need to add HDMI out & at least 720p resolution (they can just scale up the current 480p for existing games)
Those are nice features for us. But to Average Joe, they don't care.

They can look at BluRay capabilities of the PS3, or the online and game library of the 360: and it's becoming a no-brainer.

The only thing the Wii has got going for it is motion. And once Natal is released... Microsoft will smash Nintendo.
Plus come out with a new 1 piece controller that includes the motion plus, instead of making it a $20 add-on.
I'd agree with that. Nintendo just kept adding crap onto the Wii...

At any rate I do think that people are burning themselves out over Apple. The iDevices are nice but where does Apple go from here? They're running out of iDevices to make and there's going to be more competition in the slate space before long and as big as the iPhone is it's still a small part of a much larger market still.
I've been thinking the same thing. I think Apple is going to over-extend themselves at some point. They tried: and for the most part have failed, to compete with Windows. I think they realize their niche is hardware (shiny cases)... iPod, iPad, iPhone type devices are their bread and butter. iPad is only in that list because it's more akin to an iPod than a Mac.

Of course, in a few months we could have focus returned to the Mac lineup. Who knows.
It *could* be an OK business model: offer lots of different products and appeal to more people. But what'll bite Apple in the a$$ is the whole locked-content stuff they've got going on, IMO... Android is going to make them bleed.

Of course, in a few months we could have focus returned to the Mac lineup. Who knows.
I don't think that's going to be the case. In years past, Apple's held award ceremonies at the WWDC for the best-designed OS X and iPhone applications. This year, it's all about iPhone/iPad apps. That's been a real downer for the OS X development community who feel as if they're simply being left behind.

I don't think OS X is going away any time soon, but it's certainly becoming increasingly obvious that Apple's concern with it is just a fraction of the concern they have for the iPhone and iPad.

I don't think that's going to be the case. In years past, Apple's held award ceremonies at the WWDC for the best-designed OS X and iPhone applications. This year, it's all about iPhone/iPad apps. That's been a real downer for the OS X development community who feel as if they're simply being left behind.

I don't think OS X is going away any time soon, but it's certainly becoming increasingly obvious that Apple's concern with it is just a fraction of the concern they have for the iPhone and iPad.

Well, the iPod (which TBH, the iPhone is an iPod with a cellular chip in it, and the iPad is just a big iPhone) lineup has always been their bread and butter. Maybe they finally realized they suck at everything else :p

Which if you actually think about it... Them expanding their iPod lineup (into iPad and iPhone) actually makes more sense. Because while the Zune was threatening the iPod, Microsoft hasn't released an iPad/iPhone device yet.

I don't know what their plans are. But I do agree the focus on OS X is going away. I also partly think it's because they realize that they can't compete with Microsoft like they have been wanting to. So they'll stick in the one area they've always excelled at.

Well, the iPod (which TBH, the iPhone is an iPod with a cellular chip in it, and the iPad is just a big iPhone) lineup has always been their bread and butter. Maybe they finally realized they suck at everything else :p

The large bulk of Apple's hardware revenue is still in the Mac platform isn't it?

Back