Apple Is Locking iPhone Batteries to Discourage Repair

That's kind of...

hqdefault.jpg

Back in the day I remember the MacBook Pro’s would give all sorts of errors if you weren’t using an official battery, Dell and HP too. I mean it’s one thing if there are no options other than to take it to Apple but it’s another all together if they offer the ability for you to buy the official batteries off the Apple store.

The article clearly says that even OEM batteries will have this message if not installed with Apple Voodoo magic.

The article clearly says that even OEM batteries will have this message if not installed with Apple Voodoo magic.
Yes and what I was clumsily saying is what if they sell pre certified batteries from their web store that work out the gate that had some sort of pre-voodo already applied.

Yes and what I was clumsily saying is what if they sell pre certified batteries from their web store that work out the gate that had some sort of pre-voodo already applied.

Well that would go against this story message. Only Apple certified technician CAN install properly a Battery in their device. I can only comment on what's currently happening, if you take Battery A from iPhone B and install it in iPhone A, it will show the message. Only an Apple shop can install properly a battery so it doesn't show the error message.

But yeah, if they could only check for OEM HW it would be great but don't expect that from Apple I think (I wish I'm wrong).

I feel like I never see, what I would call, a positive story about Apple
I know other companies also suck (FB, Google etc.) however Apple always seem to come across as mean spirited assholes

On this forum? Of course. So [H] we all use the same thing.
This forum also praised Samsung for purposefully bricking all Note 7 phones by remotely disabling charging. Even though only like 40 phones were reported to have caught fire. 40 out of 2+ million. And they were all disabled. And we praised it. Consumer choice indeed.

On this forum? Of course. So [H] we all use the same thing.
This forum also praised Samsung for purposefully bricking all Note 7 phones by remotely disabling charging. Even though only like 40 phones were reported to have caught fire. 40 out of 2+ million. And they were all disabled. And we praised it. Consumer choice indeed.

You may have praised it.

Call me an a-hole but i'm fine with this. Apple has a reputation and people throwing trash batteries in old phones soil that.

I had a friend get his screen replaced on an iphone 7 at some highly rated chain of repair shops. The screen they put on there was absolute garbage, even the refresh rate was off. Scrolling just on the home screen between pages was choppy and jerky, the touch digitizer had terrible accuracy. After he got it fixed he sold it on craigslist. If whoever bought that phone hasn't had an iphone before, they are seriously going to wonder how they compete with samsung, and will likely never buy apple again. There goes a customer, thanks to some shitty repair shop in a strip mall.

Call me an a-hole but i'm fine with this. Apple has a reputation and people throwing trash batteries in old phones soil that.

I had a friend get his screen replaced on an iphone 7 at some highly rated chain of repair shops. The screen they put on there was absolute garbage, even the refresh rate was off. Scrolling just on the home screen between pages was choppy and jerky, the touch digitizer had terrible accuracy. After he got it fixed he sold it on craigslist. If whoever bought that phone hasn't had an iphone before, they are seriously going to wonder how they compete with samsung, and will likely never buy apple again. There goes a customer, thanks to some shitty repair shop in a strip mall.

Why should you care what other people do to their own stuff? As to people selling repaired items. Well, the buyer has a chance to try it out. If they don't like how it works they don't buy it or they get a refund if they bought it online.

Lol the message about battery health will be displayed even if a genuine battery is used. Also when you pay 50$ to replace a screen that normally cost 200$ from the OEM, you're either plain stupid thinking you get a genuine screen or you accept the trade offs of using jobber P/N. I admit that all the LCD I replaced felt the same as the original, the draw back was that they were more fragile.

Again, they should have used a different wording but I guess the current wording was precisely chosen to induce fear or more accurately deception so only Apple can repair Apple product properly using fairy dust and unicorn particles.
Please watch a few video from Louis Rossman, he revewed a refurbished Apple board that was "fixed" with some rubber glued on the IC (The IC failure known by everyone) and after please tell me how good they're ... (Ready to get the typical "How can you be sure it was done by Apple" reply).

Anywayyyyy, if you love your Apple products and eco-system, fine. It could be better but I understand brand loyalty.

Why should you care what other people do to their own stuff? As to people selling repaired items. Well, the buyer has a chance to try it out. If they don't like how it works they don't buy it or they get a refund if they bought it online.

They might not know how it works.
Lol the message about battery health will be displayed even if a genuine battery is used. Also when you pay 50$ to replace a screen that normally cost 200$ from the OEM, you're either plain stupid thinking you get a genuine screen or you accept the trade offs of using jobber P/N. I admit that all the LCD I replaced felt the same as the original, the draw back was that they were more fragile.

Again, they should have used a different wording but I guess the current wording was precisely chosen to induce fear or more accurately deception so only Apple can repair Apple product properly using fairy dust and unicorn particles.
Please watch a few video from Louis Rossman, he revewed a refurbished Apple board that was "fixed" with some rubber glued on the IC (The IC failure known by everyone) and after please tell me how good they're ... (Ready to get the typical "How can you be sure it was done by Apple" reply).

Anywayyyyy, if you love your Apple products and eco-system, fine. It could be better but I understand brand loyalty.

Watching his video now, and he's quite biased and unfortunately, completely false. China can print whatever the hell part number they want on this Chinese junk he buys in wholesale for his business. He establishes he uses the part number to distinguish apple parts.

You don't see a problem here? He strait up admits he doesn't have any way to factually check those parts.

Watching his video now, and he's quite biased and unfortunately, completely false. China can print whatever the hell part number they want on this Chinese junk he buys in wholesale for his business. He establishes he uses the part number to distinguish apple parts.

You don't see a problem here? He strait up admits he doesn't have any way to factually check those parts.

Really? It has been shown that using Apple Genuine Battery from iPhone A to iPhone B results in such battery health issue but feel free to think otherwise by cherry picking one video and drawing your conclusion.
https://www.ifixit.com/News/apple-is-locking-batteries-to-iphones-now

Anyway, can't wait until they do the same for car Oil, Tire installation and the best, light bulb replacement for your home because you know, 120VAC may kill you.

EDIT: Even better, CAR BATTERIES... need to go to dealer to swap the battery because euh only them can do it properly. Sorry I get startled quickly when it's Apple :)

Last edited:

Louis is the most bias idiot on youtube. Calls Apple unreliable garbage when 90% of his repairs are water damage.

There are no new OEM Apple batteries, they are either fake or recovered from damaged phones and had their EEPROM chips wiped to hide age data.

You will only get a genuine, new battery from Apple directly for almost the same price anyway so the argument is stupid.

Louis is just pissed he cant flog off his fake batteries which continually get seized because they fake the Apple logo.

Louis is the most bias idiot on youtube. Calls Apple unreliable garbage when 90% of his repairs are water damage.

I saw one where he was complaining about hardware encryption of the solid state drive and how horrible it was that you could replace the hardware that does the encryption (T2 chip) and not have a perfectly accessible SSD after. I was wondering if I was missing something....

I saw one where he was complaining about hardware encryption of the solid state drive and how horrible it was that you could replace the hardware that does the encryption (T2 chip) and not have a perfectly accessible SSD after. I was wondering if I was missing something....

There are tons of recovery options, Louis just ignores them because he’s ignorant. You can transfer data using either the lifeboat connector or USB-C ports to clone the device or drive using AppleID.

It is a hardware encryption chip for the SSD, having a way to bypass it would sort of defeat the purpose :ROFLMAO:

I am personally glad that I can have a computer with the same storage encryption as a phone instead of Windows pisspoor efforts where you just remove the drive and shove it in another computer 95% of the time. Hardware encryption is on by default on all Mac’s that support it.

Not to mention T2 is also responsible for other activities like locking down the camera, microphone, touchID instead of presenting hardware directly to the OS like PC OEMs. A big step in preventing spyware.

There are tons of recovery options, Louis just ignores them because he’s ignorant. You can transfer data using either the lifeboat connector or USB-C ports to clone the device or drive using AppleID.
In one video he actually outlined a not too uncommon scenario where those methods would not work and thus your data was toast.

Then if it is running right what difference does it make?

There's functional and the way apple intends them to look and feel. It's something android owners will never understand, that OS is an unpolished turd. Garbage on the details.

There are no new OEM Apple batteries, they are either fake or recovered from damaged phones and had their EEPROM chips wiped to hide age data.

You will only get a genuine, new battery from Apple directly for almost the same price anyway so the argument is stupid.

Louis is just pissed he cant flog off his fake batteries which continually get seized because they fake the Apple logo.

Yup, same for screens, digitizers, or any other apple part. There's a 1 in 10 chance you might get an actual apple OEM part from a supplier that made to many and dumped some in the wholesale chain. Actually, proabbly 1 in 1,000. It's almost all exclusively knockoff garbage.

Have you watched his videos? His gripes with Apple are that they are actively making it hard to repair devices and sacrificing reliability for aesthetics. He always calls out user stupidity when it happens, even acknowledging that liquid damage is the most common repair he does. One of his axioms is, "The only thing worse than Apple devices are Apple users." Take out half an hour and watch one of his board repair videos instead of just one of his 10-minute soapbox videos.

EDIT: Even better, CAR BATTERIES... need to go to dealer to swap the battery because euh only them can do it properly. Sorry I get startled quickly when it's Apple :)

Actually, I had a Buick that required you to take off the front passenger wheel to remove the battery. I did it once, and I was thinking I was going to be a headline the whole time I was tugging it out. After that it went to a shop...

Actually, I had a Buick that required you to take off the front passenger wheel to remove the battery. I did it once, and I was thinking I was going to be a headline the whole time I was tugging it out. After that it went to a shop...
My 300 has the battery in the trunk beneath the spare tire.

There is always the classic example of the northstar engine with the starter inside the valley between the pistons. Mind boggling.

My last Mustang didn't have a fluid reservoir for the transmission. The manual stated the transmission was sealed and didn't need servicing, yet the maintenance schedule said transmission oil needed to be checked and replaced every 30,000 miles. So which is it, Ford? It's as bad, if not worse, than cars coming with no dipstick to check engine oil...

i think they meant it when they glued the covers.
sooo.... whats the fuss now? Enjoy your apple.
Don't like it? vote with your money.

My 300 has the battery in the trunk beneath the spare tire.

There is always the classic example of the northstar engine with the starter inside the valley between the pistons. Mind boggling.

My last Mustang didn't have a fluid reservoir for the transmission. The manual stated the transmission was sealed and didn't need servicing, yet the maintenance schedule said transmission oil needed to be checked and replaced every 30,000 miles. So which is it, Ford? It's as bad, if not worse, than cars coming with no dipstick to check engine oil...

Quirks and features!

Can you prove that? I've seen plenty of night-shift backdoor parts and batteries over the years.

In one video he actually outlined a not too uncommon scenario where those methods would not work and thus your data was toast.

It’s not toast if you are utilising iCloud or time machine... what is with this stupid assumption that you should be able to run a mobile device with no backups and expect your data to be 100% recoverable.

The idea is if your device is stolen, the data is secure. I would rather that than risk data loss because the user is an idiot.

Don’t like it? Dont buy Apple. No one has a gun to your head

I agree that most folks dont understand that if your budget is $1000 and you have already a bad experience with a company, do not go ahead and give them more money on a new product. However while the idea of solving a problem by throwing more money is great, what happens to those who are in a situation that cant? Tell em tough tits and move on? Thats the same thing Samsung and other so-called "trashy android mfgs" mottos operate on; wouldnt it be a surprise if apple, would be doing the same?

Irrelevant... all lithium batteries are dangerous and from time to time unforeseen issues may arise from age, environment etc.

Just because an OEM battery can fail, doesn’t mean knock off batteries are as safe or safer. Many fake batteries have no thermal protection, short circuit protection etc.

Yes there are probably some China manufacturers who make a decent knockoff but why the hell would you take the risk with no legal recourse.

i think they meant it when they glued the covers.
sooo.... whats the fuss now? Enjoy your apple.
Don't like it? vote with your money.

It is not glue, it is an adhesive seal for its IP rating, before that everyone was bitching that Apple had not water resistance so which one do you want because you can’t have both.

Consumers are such idiots, want the world but don’t want to compromise on anything. Waaaa why doesn’t Apple have wireless charging, Apple puts in wireless charging and a glass back so it can work, then people bitch about how fragile it is when it was fine before.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
It is not glue, it is an adhesive seal for its IP rating, before that everyone was bitching that Apple had not water resistance so which one do you want because you can’t have both.

Consumers are such idiots, want the world but don’t want to compromise on anything. Waaaa why doesn’t Apple have wireless charging, Apple puts in wireless charging and a glass back so it can work, then people bitch about how fragile it is when it was fine before.
but is it waterproof now? I doubt.

Irrelevant... all lithium batteries are dangerous and from time to time unforeseen issues may arise from age, environment etc.

Just because an OEM battery can fail, doesn’t mean knock off batteries are as safe or safer. Many fake batteries have no thermal protection, short circuit protection etc.

Yes there are probably some China manufacturers who make a decent knockoff but why the hell would you take the risk with no legal recourse.

I get knockoffs, but what about the guy who took out a battery out of a new phone and placed into another iphone and got the same exact message?

I get knockoffs, but what about the guy who took out a battery out of a new phone and placed into another iphone and got the same exact message?

its funny seeing how the Apple fanboys keep talking about non-brand batteris and its issues, but complete negate to answer the above question, even though its been brought up several times.
Courage is being blind?

The error message seems to have nothing to do with the batteries but more on who did the service. complete and utter BS

I had the battery ballooning issues with the iphone 5's (really separated the screen from the body on one phone and I wonder if this is to control supply.

No phone is waterproof, it is water resistant with an IP rating and yes the iPhone well exceeds its rating and competitors.

Man, I enjoy my iphone but posts like this make all of us look like we worship this thing. I have apple care and it is still in an otterbox because i dont trust shit lol.

then go ahead and throw it into hot bath.
Water resistant typically means if accidents happen hopefully it’s not fucked. It doesn’t mean go swimming with your phone/just chuck it into a bath.

That said I have seen videos of users doing just that and the phone continuing to work fine. I still wouldn’t recommend ever purposely subjecting your phone to water though.

Back