Apple Is Locking iPhone Batteries to Discourage Repair

I'm lost here, is this suppose to help accept the fact that you can't repair for trivial reason your stuff ? I mean I would blame BMW and John Deere as much as I blame Apple for this lol.

No, just pointing out that some of the things you are talking about are already standard practice with some companies.

No, just pointing out that some of the things you are talking about are already standard practice with some companies.

Ok, I would also point my pitch fork at them and yell burn the sorcery lol. I hate this type of justification... Johnny does this and runs away with it so it must be ok to do it too.
People need to complain and vote with their wallet but marketing department are strong against average joe.

Again, I don't understand why because some market is doing so equals it's less bad that Apple do it ? They should all be ashamed and burned to hell for this.

Didn't they do it with the TOS presented to new TV owner ? Was it Samsung ? I decline the TOS, TV shuts off.
EDIT: Apple did it too with the Touch button replaced by third party at first...

While I still think Apple has not properly addressed the right to repair, I guess they have moved the needle just a bit, and for that I commend them.

Offering Indy shops a chance to get official parts for repairs is wonderful, dont know how this would circumvent the "locking policy" tho, as how would indys get the battery to be registered?

Side Note:

BMWs for instance back in the early 2000s (BMW 7 with the bangle butt) were pretty strict on how a battery replacement was to be carried out. They never required a BMW battery, but for the system to function due to how the electrical system was setup (on demand alternator and modules that could be turned off if battery levels were low) they required the charging module to have a understanding of the installed battery cca, capacity, and type. Back then indys did not have the tools, and would pawn you off to the dealership. Nowdays with the advent of really amazing professional tools available at next to nothing on Amazon, indys and some enthusiasts can do the same at home or at a local shop. Still no requirement of a "BMW battery" as car batteries really are standardized; ie only a small number of mfgs exist (believe only 3 atm) and they literally supply a different label on the same battery.

BTW iphone X and above out of battery costs $69 at Apple, not $25 like someone mentioned.
Everything else model wise, is cheaper of course. $49

Now playing devils advocate/a-hole here, if I`m apple, and I want to crush the right to repair movement in the nicest way possible, without any potential for legal issues, open up the indy shops to parts, but price them out so high, that it basically makes them useless as a repair shop.

For instance iPhone X through Apple is $69. So if the OE battery costs anywhere near that amount, how will an Indy sustain itself?? I literally have no clue, so chime in if anyone else does.

I'm lost here, is this suppose to help accept the fact that you can't repair for trivial reason your stuff ? I mean I would blame BMW and John Deere as much as I blame Apple for this lol.
I gotta be honest, I'd rather have a relatively waterproof phone than replace the battery myself, especially if it's true that replacing the battery is still just 25 bucks. That's nothing and it takes years before my battery needs to be replaced. There was a time I was totally on the user replaceable battery bandwagon, but waterproof (ish) is more important not.

It's just a matter of time before your mobile phone won't even be yours. Everyone will go the Microsoft Windows way of doing things and just license the phones out to people... which is essentially what people are doing already. People are spending $1000 every year for a small incremental improvement for their phones. It's quite crazy when I think about how much phones have increased in price and how little the improvements are and underwhelming the new features. I think next time I upgrade i'll be going mid-tier... which by today's standards is awesome.

"Good phones aren't getting cheap, but cheap phones are getting good."

Also not sure if you guys have seen what it's like to repair a Microsoft Surface or 2 laptop... they're UNREPAIRABLE. This is all due to how often we all buy new shit. Companies know we buy new shit every year so they're taking advantage of it.

We are a throw-away culture.

Are they? Evertything I've seen/read shows people are going longer and longer between phones, because they're no longer subsidized and because most phones (well at least this is true for iPhones) are perfectly capable of doing what is needed for 3-5 years. FFS, I have a spare iPhone 6 that works fine (though it's def slower than newer phones) and I think support ends this year (after 5 years of updates). I also have an XS. I probably won't upgrade it for at least 2 more years (and I could definitely afford whatever they put out this year). There's just not a reason to upgrade as often...just like there's no reason to change Computers every 3 years, unless you're just some enthusiast who likes to build a new machine every 3 years. I can easily use the same CPU/MB for 5-10 years. I don't do that, but I could. I got rid of it earlier this year, but my i7-860 worked fine and it was released, I think, in 2009! For gamers, GPUs seems to need more frequent upgrades.

I have a friend that rocked a Galaxy 3 (or was it a 4) for 5 or 6 years!

I gotta be honest, I'd rather have a relatively waterproof phone than replace the battery myself, especially if it's true that replacing the battery is still just 25 bucks. That's nothing and it takes years before my battery needs to be replaced. There was a time I was totally on the user replaceable battery bandwagon, but waterproof (ish) is more important not.
whoever told you $25 does not know what they are talking about.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

TLDR: X and above $69
Everything else $49.

If you have prior damage of any sorts, its upto the techs discretion to basically say you must replace said damage or defect before we replace the battery for $69/49. Some folks dont care, and some techs or geniuses will throw the book at ya. so YMMV

EDIT: Phones in recent launches are not water proof. They are water resistant. different in regards to the capabilities.

Last edited:
whoever told you $25 does not know what they are talking about.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

TLDR: X and above $69
Everything else $49.

If you have prior damage of any sorts, its upto the techs discretion to basically say you must replace said damage or defect before we replace the battery for $69/49. Some folks dont care, and some techs or geniuses will throw the book at ya. so YMMV

EDIT: Phones in recent launches are not water proof. They are water resistant. different in regards to the capabilities.
I understand, but if YOU replace the battery, it won't even be water resistant. I dropped a 6s into a shallow puddle and it was ruined. Someone on here was saying 25...It hought that expired last year and was only valid for certain models. Regardless, I'll take water resistent over changing the battery myself, becaue the odds are, the battery will outlast the phone. Even the phones where I replaced batteries last year (big discount) were between 80 and 90% of full capacity. Not bad, considering the 6 was over 4 years old. 6s+ was newer, but for that price, I just figured I'd get it done.

I understand, but if YOU replace the battery, it won't even be water resistant. I dropped a 6s into a shallow puddle and it was ruined. Someone on here was saying 25...It hought that expired last year and was only valid for certain models. Regardless, I'll take water resistent over changing the battery myself, becaue the odds are, the battery will outlast the phone. Even the phones where I replaced batteries last year (big discount) were between 80 and 90% of full capacity. Not bad, considering the 6 was over 4 years old. 6s+ was newer, but for that price, I just figured I'd get it done.

Just an FYI the iPhone 6S was never water resistant officially from Apple....so odds are any water exposure or splash exposure after a battery replacement or not would toast that device. Now in regards to whether a third party provider can keep the water resistant on a water resistant certified device, I think that depends on where your getting your service done and more importantly a bit of anecdotal experience.

Most proper repair shops, and by proper i mean this person isnt doing this by watching his or her first teardown usually will replace the battery and said water resistant mechanisms (gasket or adhesives).

Now here is where it gets messy....Everyone fucks up, and suppose your apple genius kinks the water resistant seal during installation, and their is water ingress, what then? Would taking your device to Apple, claiming a bad repair do anything towards making you whole. Not really, since that invoice they generate during pick up said, inspected and certified quality repair.

Just an FYI the iPhone 6S was never water resistant officially from Apple....so odds are any water exposure or splash exposure after a battery replacement or not would toast that device. Now in regards to whether a third party provider can keep the water resistant on a water resistant certified device, I think that depends on where your getting your service done and more importantly a bit of anecdotal experience.

Most proper repair shops, and by proper i mean this person isnt doing this by watching his or her first teardown usually will replace the battery and said water resistant mechanisms (gasket or adhesives).

Now here is where it gets messy....Everyone fucks up, and suppose your apple genius kinks the water resistant seal during installation, and their is water ingress, what then? Would taking your device to Apple, claiming a bad repair do anything towards making you whole. Not really, since that invoice they generate during pick up said, inspected and certified quality repair.
We're not talking about the the 6s. I just pointed it out to show that the battery doesn't wear down that quickly. I think the 6 loses support this fall and it's battery last december was between 80-90% of a new batteries capacity.

You're worried, so buy somethign else. I'm not, because my phone's useful life will pass before the battery needs replacing.

I was under the impression that water resistant phone aren't warrantied against water damage ? (Got that assumption from SONY marketing fiasco a while back)
Did that change ? I know Apple is quick on the water damage customer abuse excuse to deny claim on macbook. I haven't read much on iPhones though.

I was under the impression that water resistant phone aren't warrantied against water damage ? (Got that assumption from SONY marketing fiasco a while back)
Did that change ? I know Apple is quick on the water damage customer abuse excuse to deny claim on macbook. I haven't read much on iPhones though.

No mfg will touch a water damaged device regardless of their normal product warranty, unless accidentals are specifically included. In addition, water resistant phones are not water resistant to every type of water (i know wtf does that even mean). For instance ip68 is a water resistance certification most devices use, but they dont cover "hot or warm water" and high chemically treated pool water or most IG favorites salt sea water.

The simple thing iP68 means is that on the offshoot you encounter a minor drop or two of water on certain areas of the device, its not game over immediately. But it has not given end users something to use as a means of warrantying a device. And its not just an apple thing

I don't think the warranty covers it.

No mfg will touch a water damaged device regardless of their normal product warranty, unless accidentals are specifically included. In addition, water resistant phones are not water resistant to every type of water (i know wtf does that even mean). For instance ip68 is a water resistance certification most devices use, but they dont cover "hot or warm water" and high chemically treated pool water or most IG favorites salt sea water.

The simple thing iP68 means is that on the offshoot you encounter a minor drop or two of water on certain areas of the device, its not game over immediately. But it has not given end users something to use as a means of warrantying a device. And its not just an apple thing
IP68 is 1.5Meters deep freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Manufacturers still don’t cover it though and my guess is that it’s difficult/impossible to prove length of time the phone may have been subject to the water and the depth/pressure.

It’s additional protection and I’d rather have it than not, but I can’t blame them for not warrantying the rating.

I don't think the warranty covers it.

IP68 is 1.5Meters deep freshwater for up to 30 minutes. Manufacturers still don’t cover it though and my guess is that it’s difficult/impossible to prove length of time the phone may have been subject to the water and the depth/pressure.

It’s additional protection and I’d rather have it than not, but I can’t blame them for not warrantying the rating.
So the rating is marketing bullshit then. I had phones with keyboards and replaceable batteries that i used under rain, gotten a splash here and there. I take it inmersion is out of the question, but this may or may not resist inmersion, but surely we won't cover it sounds like some bull and little practical progress for which to give up replaceable batteries (the NEED to seal batteries for water resistance is bullshit and not true but whatever).

So the rating is marketing bullshit then. I had phones with keyboards and replaceable batteries that i used under rain, gotten a splash here and there. I take it inmersion is out of the question, but this may or may not resist inmersion, but surely we won't cover it sounds like some bull and little practical progress for which to give up replaceable batteries (the NEED to seal batteries for water resistance is bullshit and not true but whatever).
IP 68 (67 is also) are rated for short term low depth immersion in water.

Pretty much, thus the basis of lawsuit in Australia of false advertising.

There have been videos of them dropping a phone in a fish tank and it worked without issue. In all cases, if your phone gets wet, it's probably a good idea to turn it off and stick it in rice for a few days. In the case of an iPhone, it may be worth taking it to apple and having them crack it open. They can probably dry it out a lot faster than the rice.

There have been videos of them dropping a phone in a fish tank and it worked without issue. In all cases, if your phone gets wet, it's probably a good idea to turn it off and stick it in rice for a few days. In the case of an iPhone, it may be worth taking it to apple and having them crack it open. They can probably dry it out a lot faster than the rice.

Im genuinely interested in how to tell an apple genius to "crack my iphone up to let it dry out" without them getting triggered about water damage, loss of data, and buy a new iphone today!

then go ahead and throw it into hot bath.
I accidentally did that with my Galaxy S8+
I had it in my pocket and sat down in a hot tub on a cruise ship. OOPS!

Other than the error 'Liquid in the Charge Port' it was totally fine, and never missed a beat. A couple hours later it had dried the charge port out, and it was totally back to normal!

Im genuinely interested in how to tell an apple genius to "crack my iphone up to let it dry out" without them getting triggered about water damage, loss of data, and buy a new iphone today!
I just walked in and said I had an issue, described it and they opened it up. It wasn't repairable, but if I'd gotten it to them earlier, it might have been. Besides, they will at worst tell you it can't be fixed, and offer you a refurb for whatever the rate is for a trade in.

Back