Apple is hijacking my liteon sohw-1693S dvdrw!!!!

niconx

2[H]4U
Something in Apple software is hijacking my DVDRW... Anyone have info on this!?

Ok so I finally got sick of Apple Quicktime+iTunes being on my computer so I uninstalled all the Apple junk (except safari which I don't even use anyway). The next day I wanted to watch an old movie so I popped in a dvd and realized that windows couldn't load the driver for my dvdrw. I figured whatever i'll bother with this later.

Today I was trying to resolve this and went so far as changing my bios and attempting to reinstall firmware on the dvdrw. Firmware wouldn't install because the installer said it couldn't see the drive in my computer presumably because of the "!" in device manager I suppose... unable to load the driver. I uninstalled the recent windows updates. I used msconfig to disable everything that wasn't microsoft in services and startup. I even installed a new IDE cable and swapped master and slave configuration. Even safe mode wouldn't let the drive work. I was still able to boot from my Vista DVD just fine so I knew the drive was good.

As a last ditch effort I remembered that I had uninstalled the damn Apple software and thought what the heck why not reinstall it. I installed apple Quicktime+iTunes and without a reboot the drive started to work again and the "!" was gone from device manager. All I can say is WTF?!?!!?

:) Thanks that fixed it! No more rotten apples for me! So why was this gear loading up in safe mode that's what I don't get? Incorrect driver installation I take it?

Back