Apple Is Hiding An Embarrassing Bulge?

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's time once again to nitpick the design of the iPhone 6. Personally, I don't care, I just thought the headline was pretty funny.

Apple has an unpleasant bulge it's hiding. The latest iPhone 6 has slimmed down to just 6.9mm of metal in what Apple describes as a "streamlined profile," but it has picked up one element that isn’t particularly streamlined: an ugly camera bulge at the rear.

You see this with many phones now, I do consider it to be deceitful marketing. Because they are claiming a phone is X mm thin but then it has a camera or other port that sticks out further. IMO I would just plain be happier if they didn't make the camera stick out and instead they allocated all that extra space to the battery or allowing microsd expansions etc.... But ultimately not much you can do since many companies are doing it. The real problem is that it puts most of the wear form setting a phone down on whatever sticks out. Might damage the lense etc...

Hell, I'd be happy if they stopped putting cameras in phones and instead opted for a bigger battery or more memory.

Oh and of course the images where they cut it off are absolute bullshit. Should definitely get a law suit for misrepresenting the produce if you photochop out part of it.

Oh and of course the images where they cut it off are absolute bullshit. Should definitely get a law suit for misrepresenting the produce if you photochop out part of it.
Produce? Its not literally an apple.

I will also say there are very many things about phones that I dislike that are the result of them trying so hard to make them as thin as possible I don't see why any phone maker would want a power, or volume rocker that sticks out further than the phone. It just means that item is constantly going to get activated by everything, in pockets, purses, wallets, etc..... Add 2-3 more mm to the device and recess it and it will be less likely to result in accidental activations of any kind

I will also say there are very many things about phones that I dislike that are the result of them trying so hard to make them as thin as possible I don't see why any phone maker would want a power, or volume rocker that sticks out further than the phone. It just means that item is constantly going to get activated by everything, in pockets, purses, wallets, etc..... Add 2-3 more mm to the device and recess it and it will be less likely to result in accidental activations of any kind

This is why I have to get rid of my S4. The home button sticks out and I'm pretty sure the screen is constantly on in my pocket, just sucking down my battery.

This is why I have to get rid of my S4. The home button sticks out and I'm pretty sure the screen is constantly on in my pocket, just sucking down my battery.

Seriously hate the S4 because of this. I have to use it for work, but this ridiculous thing keeps taking screenshots constantly in my pocket.

The phone is huge enough as it is, I don't want to have to carry a murse to put it in because of the case adding to much bulk to fit into my pocket.

Agreed. You should NOT have to use a case to fix a design flaw. At the very least, there should be a setting to disable home button to unlock.

We've known this for weeks as the leaks started to come out. Also, it is clearly seen in their promo material.

This isn't the first phone to do it but at least the iPhone has a great camera to show for it.Most phones have mediocre cameras.

Go into settings and simply turn off "turn screen on with home button". That is what I did to solve that problem.

As for the iPhone bulge. Are we sure a lot of those aren't renders? It is possible that they simply textured it and didn't model it.

They shouldn't have made it thinner than the camera. That space should have been used for a bigger battery. Who doesn't want more battery life?

im having a hard time seeing the bulge. can you only see it in person?

i noticed the camera rim sticking out during the keynote and the leaked mockups, but i didnt see any bulging on the back.

Nexus 5. Same issue if not worse. No one really complained about it on an Android device (except me LOL).

I was ready to buy a Nexus 5 when they came out until I saw that wart on the back.

im having a hard time seeing the bulge. can you only see it in person?

i noticed the camera rim sticking out during the keynote and the leaked mockups, but i didnt see any bulging on the back.

That's the "bulge".

Hell, I'd be happy if they stopped putting cameras in phones and instead opted for a bigger battery or more memory.

The camera on a phone, although not up to my standards (DSLR), is useful for quite a few things. Getting rid of the camera would be a huge mistake unless all phone mfgs did it at the same exact time.. and that isn't going to happen.. ever.

A case will solve that ;)

Shouldn't have to buy a case to fix a design flaw ;)

Actually, a case really is needed for pretty much any phone as it is. Sure they could make the phones with "built in" cases, but then if you wanted a different look, you would have to get a case that made it even larger.

Having the phones get thinner is a good thing. It means when you have a case on it for protection.. and maybe looks, depending on who you talk to, the phone is still going to be thinner than it would be if the camera and/or buttons did not bulge out of the phone.

I, however, would not be against them making the phones a bit thicker in order to increase the battery capacity.

Apple will make millions of the phone, while the haters fuel their fangroupies with nitpicks like this to complain about as to make them feel better (im pretty sure apple does the same but pointing this out as to maintain neutrality). Honestly if camera quality is improved a tiny bulge that is the camera on the 6 doesnt bother me.

Again everyone does it...all these new commercials lauding the amazingness #nextbigthing on the S5s 16 megapixel camera, but no talk of how crappy it performs in low light.

I'm a little obsessed with iPhone's and I hope next time they would invent water proof and transparent one.

While Android phones will sell over a billion this year. Samsung alone makes more than twice as many phones as Apple does.

True, but whats the profit margin? I could sell more devices but if my profit margin is lower ehh.

Shouldn't have to buy a case to fix a design flaw ;)

The entire point of phone cases is to help mitigate design flaws.

Fragile screen?
Fragile body?
Not waterproof?

If phones didn't have these design flaws people wouldn't need cases.

They shouldn't have made it thinner than the camera. That space should have been used for a bigger battery. Who doesn't want more battery life?
I'll never get an iPhone. But let's extend your question for Android, which I have and will probably continue getting until the end of time. If I had to choose between a better camera or a better battery but I can only choose one, I'd go for better camera. Why? B/c good quality pictures are something I would enjoy. If my battery life sucks, that would be annoying, but I can recharge almost everywhere I am (home, car, work). And if none of those options work, I can buy a $25 battery pack and keep that for an emergency charge when I'm somewhere where I can't recharge via outlet, such as a plane, train, beach, park, etc.

I was promised this years ago..by now.
lg_g_flex_display_sg_3-580x341.jpg

Until this happens, I really couldn't care less about the camera sticking out some..Also most android models have had this issues if you want to call that an issue for years now. In other words..BIG FKING DEAL.

More memory? Over a camera? really?
Travel might change your mind.

Actually, a case really is needed for pretty much any phone as it is.

Ehhhh, nope.

My phone has been fine without a case for a year. I don't see it breaking any time soon. A few chips and scuffs but not a scratch on the screen.

Unless you have young kids or are a construction worker or are just really clumsy Most high end phones are reasonably decent.

Back