Apple is Deleting Purchased Movies from iTunes

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
A Canadian Twitter user who purchased several movies from iTunes found that 3 of the movies weren't in his library anymore. Upon contacting technical support, they said the movies are "not available" in the Canadian iTunes store, and gave him a meager voucher for 2 movie rentals, worth a fraction of the original movies' cost. While this was undoubtedly legal under the iTunes contract, moves like this show customers don't necessarily own media they "buy" in digital storefronts like iTunes.

Please be informed that the iTunes/App Store is a store front that gives content provider a platform or place to sell their items. We can only offer what has been made available to us via the studios or a distributor… Also, know that our ability to issue the refund diminishes over time. Hence your purchases doesn’t meet the conditions for a refund.

Always cracks me up when I see commercials to "own this movie" on cable. You own nothing. What your $14.99 get you is a symlink from your account to a file on your TV provider's server, and they can yank that link anytime they want.

Oh you're moving and have to change providers? No problem, just buy it all again.

No different that paying for Netflix and then they remove the content you enjoy.

Redbox is where I get the few movies I'll watch. I don't buy or movie theater them anymore.

We still buy what we want to keep long term on disc because of this. Add the lack of a single repository to watch things, discs are still best. We scan what we can into MoviesAnywhere, etc. but that's only a little more convenient than disc.

HardCopy.... Always... WE are in the world of leasing... do you really think that Apple or anyone else is going to let you keep your library in the future??? I hard copy everything as much as possible.

I do not do banking on the computer. I write checks and have an image sent to me every month. Why Because Every corporation including your government will screw you over and/or make a mistake... you have to prove it. I have already have done this on several occasions with my banks as well as dealing with certain corporations. You have to have the hard copy to prove their mistake otherwise you lose.

Also within 25 years All of my friends have been hit with fraud because of online banking and their excessive use as well as how they use their credit card digitally. I have not. I try to keep my digital signature down to a minimum. It's cash when I want to buy anything... Including big market items as much as it is possible for myself.

UV libraries are portable anywhere. Whenever possible buy UV for online digital content.

Or do like I do. Buy the BR and hard rip it to local storage and plex it. It's better quality any way and my connection is no longer a bottleneck on quality.

Wait till Vudu gets hit by a massive power failure/virus combo. The apocalypse will have started. :)

Oh and Netflix comment guy, a duh, they don't sell movies, just a service that cycles different shows for you to watch.

I think people were starting to catch on when Vinyl started making a comeback last couple of years. Also last year on Black Friday, UHD 4K Blu-rays were flying off the shelves. People are slowly getting it. We need walk in stores, we need hard copies, and we need to quit being lazy period.

This is the very reason I don't "buy" digital delivery movies or music. It's way too easy for something like this to happen so I stick with physical media.

It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

It isn't always a question of availability though. Amazon Music had a pretty bad time of it a few years ago when they started prime music. Albums you had purchased digitally from Amazon, and had been in your library, were being removed because Prime music had made that album "free" to listen to. When it went out of Prime rotation, they were also removing access to prior purchased copies of those albums. I had to reach out to them several times, showing them the purchases of the albums in my Amazon account years before, before they would put them back in my library. An all digital presence can work, but you need to be sure that what you are getting is the actual digital item and not access to a revolving "rental" pool.

But that's not what they did.

They gave him two movie rental vouchers.

This is total bullshit on Apple's part.

I'm going to keep buying Blurays and ripping them to my media library.
Unless people do not allow them to do this by making huge amounts of noise, they will continue to screw you. Anyone that thought these companies would play fair in a world where all they have to do is delete things to increase their bottom lines was asleep.

All corporations are in business to screw you as much as you let them get away with. Also they will lull you into a false sense of security until they mega scew you for boatloads of cash. Just like someone said, all with a huge smile on their face while telling you it's fine and great.

With Leawo I can skip to the actual movie on a Blu-Ray since it's one hour, 53 minutes or however long. Menus and previews are annoying on physical media.

Given that you paid to be able to view the said movie for personal use and they then broke that ability for you to use that paid for function. If you then Pirated the movie for personal use... since you already paid for it to view for personal use wouldn't that be a "backup" of your purchase.
I'm just saying this is an open door to piracy because you bought it and it was stolen from you arbitrarily by the manufacturer. They best beware of this course of action.

Given that you paid to be able to view the said movie for personal use and they then broke that ability for you to use that paid for function. If you then Pirated the movie for personal use... since you already paid for it to view for personal use wouldn't that be a "backup" of your purchase.
I'm just saying this is an open door to piracy because you bought it and it was stolen from you arbitrarily by the manufacturer. They best beware of this course of action.
Technically you are right, although the social and monetary problems from being sued may outweigh you actually being right. You would probably win in the end with a large lawyer fee, maybe the companies and lawyers are colluding so people do this and have to defend themselves. The world has turned into a place where you have to defend all your rights, and it's expensive, lawyers and corporations make out big and regular people end up broke.

With Leawo I can skip to the actual movie on a Blu-Ray since it's one hour, 53 minutes or however long. Menus and previews are annoying on physical media.

This is one of the reasons (the other being g the convenience of having a media library) that I rip every disk I buy to my NAS with MakeMKV.

I store the primary stream and the highest quality English audio track in one MKV, and skip everything else.

I don't use handbrake to recompress it. I keep the original quality, because I have plenty of storage space, and I don't want to introduce compression artefacting from recompressing already compressed source material.

No more intros or annoying stuff.

Now, I know, technically this is a DCMA violation, but if I've bought it, I maintain that I have the right under fair use to do this, and of they don't like it, they can suck it.

wow imagine walmart coming in to your home and taking your bed because they no longer sell it.

that's what this is.

that thing you bought, you no longer own. hahahaha.

they better attach magnets to steve cause his spinning body should be going pretty fast by now.

Unless people do not allow them to do this by making huge amounts of noise, they will continue to screw you. Anyone that thought these companies would play fair in a world where all they have to do is delete things to increase their bottom lines was asleep.

All corporations are in business to screw you as much as you let them get away with. Also they will lull you into a false sense of security until they mega scew you for boatloads of cash. Just like someone said, all with a huge smile on their face while telling you it's fine and great.

This 100X over.

Trusting a business to treat you fairly when their sole motivation is to maximize profit at all expenses is monumentally stupid. If you don't hold it, you don't own it, period. This is the reason I run my own email server, don't use "the cloud" - AKA hosting your data on a server that belongs to somebody else, etc. Here is the truth: Nobody cares more about treating you fairly than you do, so put yourself in a position where third parties are a non-factor. I don't care what Apple does with their movie library I "purchased" from them, or what google does with "my pictures"... because I don't participate in their systems so I'm not subject to their whims or wants.

This is one of the reasons (the other being g the convenience of having a media library) that I rip every disk I buy to my NAS with MakeMKV.

I store the primary stream and the highest quality English audio track in one MKV, and skip everything else.

I don't use handbrake to recompress it. I keep the original quality, because I have plenty of storage space, and I don't want to introduce compression artefacting from recompressing already compressed source material.

No more intros or annoying stuff.

Now, I know, technically this is a DCMA violation, but if I've bought it, I maintain that I have the right under fair use to do this, and of they don't like it, they can suck it.
I think technically it's not a DMCA violation because you are allowed to make one backup copy. Although I would imagine they would claim you shared it or showed it to your friends making you a criminal. Really not much you are allowed to do in the world without being potentially in trouble now days anyway. It's clearly a ludicrous world we live in.

Back