Apple is da shiznit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Wolf

Supreme [H]ardness
To begin, I own/use/love PC and Mac computers.

That being said, this is targeted at those PC pussies who love to hate all things Apple. On Monday, my MBP dropped dead. It suddenly powered down and I smelled smoke. Not good. I took it to the Apple store for service. The Genius chick took my machine to the back for testing. Less than 10 minutes later she came out and said they were just going to replace it with another MBP -- a brand new Sandy Bridge 2.0 model! Mine was only a dual core i5. It gets better. Since they didn't have a hi-res glossy in stock, they arranged to have Apple ship the 2.2 model with the hi-res glossy to me. It'll be delivered by Friday.

Me very happy! :D

Last edited:
Awesome, glad it worked out so well for you! Apple's customer service and retail presence do give it a leg up on any PC OEM.

Congrats! I've been having problems with my MBP, so I hope I get good service as well (I'm not expecting a new machine, just a working one).

It still was under the standard 1 year warranty. I bought it last November. I'll buy the AppleCare extension in October.

Hmm. They are arranging to send you a brand new model. Maybe the warranty on it will reset?

Yep — you get what you pay for. Something most anti-Apple people can't seem to grasp. There are Apple support horror stories, make no mistake, but for the most part they work hard to pull the numbers they get in customer satisfaction surveys.

Something similar happened with a friend of mine. He had a Macbook Pro that was almost at the end of the three year warranty. It was having serious problems, apparently with the logic board. They replaced the logic board twice but the problem didn't go away. Third try they just gave him a brand new MBP.

This was to replace a three year old notebook that was far outdated. There is a reason why Apple has such great customer service ratings, they really do take care of their customers.

Hmm. They are arranging to send you a brand new model. Maybe the warranty on it will reset?
Yes. New machine, new serial number = new warranty. Now if you had already purchased the extended applecare it would not transfer over. So you got lucky.

Yep — you get what you pay for. Something most anti-Apple people can't seem to grasp. There are Apple support horror stories, make no mistake, but for the most part they work hard to pull the numbers they get in customer satisfaction surveys.

Most of the horror stories I have heard come from the phone support not knowing shit, or the customer lying to the genius and making shit up so it just gets worse and worse for them.

Most of the horror stories I have heard come from the phone support not knowing shit, or the customer lying to the genius and making shit up so it just gets worse and worse for them.

Or the "geniuses" just being retards. I had an iPod that had a recall on it, the geniuses had no idea about the recall and insisted they couldn't do anything. Got on phone support to get it handled with a prepaid shipment box and such. Was a fight there too...they had a recall yet no one wanted to admit it.

Apple is great if you are under warranty, if you are out of warranty watch out.

I have had great Support from Lenovo as well, though it is all send in for the most part since they dont have stores.

you should save some cash and build a much more powerful pc for half that price, or spend exactly the same amount and get a GREAT pc. but if you want to spen your cash on an over piced product go ahead, its your cash

Please enlighten us some more. You are like the second coming of Confucius.

you should save some cash and build a much more powerful pc for half that price, or spend exactly the same amount and get a GREAT pc. but if you want to spen your cash on an over piced product go ahead, its your cash

I'm no Apple fan, I own no Apple products but I give credit where credit is due. Apple makes great quality mid-range computers and the prices are reasonable especially with their retail presence and customer service. Most of my PC setups cost more than Apple products but I can't just walk into a store and get a defective product replaced with a brand new one like Wolf did.

I can't say I've ever had any trouble with any PC vendors in the past - I've also had no bad experiences with Apple, though, either.

One exceptionally notable situation with Apple was when I bought a 2nd gen iPod Nano form their website. The unit came 3 days later - well, the box, actually, everything was there MINUS the iPod itself. I'm guessing someone from UPS stole the unit, seeing as to how the sticker was open and there were some dirty prints where the package was opened. In any case, I called Apple about it and they told me they'd send a new one right away. They even let me keep the headphones/cable and other little goodies from the first one, I didn't have to return anything. They also overnighted the new one to me for no charge!

Great service in my experience.

it is impossible to build a PC with the same or better specs for less than an Apple. it can't be done, this is why people buy Apples. also, it is impossible for apples to get viruses. also, apples have better graphics cards, so the games look better.

I'll give apple some credit on their warranty support, they are really good about replacing broken stuff. Friend got a new iphone because his kept locking up every hour or so, just walked in and they checked and gave him a new phone right there. That said apple isn't alone either, only thing is you usually have to pay a little more for support like that from other vendors bringing their price to match apples. If you get dell onsite support its usually top notch, we had a bad hard drive at work and guy came out next day installed it, made sure windows installed fine and left.

You get what you pay for. (Still not really a fan of the OS though, :p I would love a macbook air with windows).

Perhaps if you'd bought a PC you'd have never had this trouble :D

haha j/k. That is sweet that they're taking care of you so well. As a PC owner, I do envy the customer service you've received. In fact, I have a deep appreciation for good customer service. Its something we don't see enough of these days.

That being said, this is targeted at those PC pussies who love to hate all things Apple. On Monday, my MBP dropped dead. It suddenly powered down and I smelled smoke. Not good. I took it to the Apple store for service. The Genius chick took my machine to the back for testing. Less than 10 minutes later she came out and said they were just going to replace it with another MBP -- a brand new Sandy Bridge 2.0 model! Mine was only a dual core i5. It gets better. Since they didn't have a hi-res glossy in stock, they arranged to have Apple ship the 2.2 model with the hi-res glossy to me. It'll be delivered by Friday.

@Deltief: Just 10 posts and you've already attained the title of hungry little troll. Well done!

I think 10 posts is quite impressive. Back in the earlier days of [H], I'd expect it to be around the first post or so.

cool story, did you get to keep your old hd?
Before going to Apple, I pulled the drive, popped it in my USB enclosure and copied the contents onto one of my storage drives. I'll duplicate that drive onto the new MBP's hard drive when it arrives.

Any of you see the latest South Park "Humancentipad" episode? One of the Geniuses looked a lot like Rolfgar. I laughed every time I looked at him. :p

Before going to Apple, I pulled the drive, popped it in my USB enclosure and copied the contents onto one of my storage drives. I'll duplicate that drive onto the new MBP's hard drive when it arrives.

Any of you see the latest South Park "Humancentipad" episode? One of the Geniuses looked a lot like Rolfgar. I laughed every time I looked at him. :p

Did they give you any heat for opening up the laptop?

You get what you pay for. For the price of apple products I would hope the support is good!

I've had similar good stories with PC OEMs as well but it's hit and miss. Depends who answers the phone. If you pick french you're more likely to get someone in US or Canada and not India.

I actually had upped the RAM to 8GB, added an SSD, swapped the DVD for another hard drive. I put back all the original stuff before going to Apple. They never mentioned any of it. :p

it is impossible to build a PC with the same or better specs for less than an Apple. it can't be done, this is why people buy Apples. also, it is impossible for apples to get viruses. also, apples have better graphics cards, so the games look better.

Not 100% accurate. It is possible to build a pc with better specs, but not with the exact parts apple uses due to their mass buying power. I can build an i5 quad core pc and save about 20%.... but there's no 'instant' warranty though.

OSX can get a virus, but its one of those things that doesn't happen often enough to make press.
As for Apple computers have better graphics cards, that's debatable.

Apple's recent claim to fame has been their customer service.

Just the other day, my wife's IPhone4 was overheating and battery was no longer maintaining a charge. (I suspect my wife plugged in her phone to the ipad charger, but could never get an answer from her about it). I took it in. At first the genius bar rep wanted me to perform a DFU restore... after I mentioned I already performed a restore and set up as new, he offered to swap it out. No fight, no hassle. New iphone4 in hand after 10 minute diagnostic / conversation.

Not many hardware companies can offer that. I'm a pc user all day long and I love my pc's... but with service like this... I think I'm going to purchase my for imac or macbook this year.

Not 100% accurate. It is possible to build a pc with better specs, but not with the exact parts apple uses due to their mass buying power. I can build an i5 quad core pc and save about 20%.... but there's no 'instant' warranty though.

OSX can get a virus, but its one of those things that doesn't happen often enough to make press.
As for Apple computers have better graphics cards, that's debatable.

Apple's recent claim to fame has been their customer service.

Just the other day, my wife's IPhone4 was overheating and battery was no longer maintaining a charge. (I suspect my wife plugged in her phone to the ipad charger, but could never get an answer from her about it). I took it in. At first the genius bar rep wanted me to perform a DFU restore... after I mentioned I already performed a restore and set up as new, he offered to swap it out. No fight, no hassle. New iphone4 in hand after 10 minute diagnostic / conversation.

Not many hardware companies can offer that. I'm a pc user all day long and I love my pc's... but with service like this... I think I'm going to purchase my for imac or macbook this year.
There will be no compatibility or harm issues from plugging an iphone4 into ipad charger...

With their profit margin, Apple can afford to do this. They know how to take care of their customers, that's for sure.

If by "doesn't happen often enough" you mean "doesn't happen because none exist", then your statement is correct.

I might have been lied to, but when I bought my MBP I asked whether the adding RAM or an SSD would void the warranty, and the sales guy told me it would not. He said that the upgraded parts would obviously not be covered, but if I upgraded them myself and the logic board fried itself, the board would still be covered.

Shows what you know, quick google search shows OSX virus reports in the news as early as 2006.

http://macscan.securemac.com/spyware-list/
http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/
Databases from vendors who track mac/osx.
yeah, shows I know the difference between a trojan and virus...

edit: for the ignorant...
educate yourselves:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...8825675100593eb2?OpenDocument&src=sec_web_nam
What is a virus?
A computer virus is a small program written to alter the way a computer operates, without the permission or knowledge of the user. A virus must meet two criteria:

It must execute itself. It often places its own code in the path of execution of another program.
It must replicate itself. For example, it may replace other executable files with a copy of the virus infected file. Viruses can infect desktop computers and network servers alike.
[emphasis added]
There are no known virii for current OSX (Leopard / Snow Leopard) and haven't been for the past five years.

Last edited:

That being said, this is targeted at those PC pussies who love to hate all things Apple.

First, I'm a dick, not a pussy. Mac users are the pussies. :D

On Monday, my MBP dropped dead. It suddenly powered down and I smelled smoke. Not good. I took it to the Apple store for service. The Genius chick took my machine to the back for testing.

Look at that, your super-high quality Apple product goes up in smoke and you go running to mommy, or some chick.

Less than 10 minutes later she came out and said they were just going to replace it with another MBP -- a brand new Sandy Bridge 2.0 model! Mine was only a dual core i5. It gets better. Since they didn't have a hi-res glossy in stock, they arranged to have Apple ship the 2.2 model with the hi-res glossy to me. It'll be delivered by Friday.

Less than 10 minutes later you're waiting until Friday, and still waiting.

Core i5 and Sandy Bridge are, or can be, the same thing. So, it's meaningless for you to claim that they replaced your Core i5 with Sandy Bridge. Anyway, the reason you're getting Sandy Bridge v2 is because v1 had a serious bug. Any company that had used such shoddy hardware would be obligated to replace your early Sandy Bridge with a later Sandy Bridge. But, many other companies would have charged you a lot less and given you a better laptop in the first place. And, any other laptop would have come with Windows, which is far more useful.

Laptops are for pussies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back