Apple is building a special portal for law enforcement officials to get user data — here's Apple's l

Discussion in 'Apple Products' started by MrGuvernment, Sep 8, 2018.

1. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment Stay [H]ard

Apple is building a special portal for law enforcement officials to get user data — here's Apple's letter describing the plan

https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-make-it-easier-cops-get-data-from-users-full-letter-2018-9

2. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

What's wrong with that? It just streamlines what is already in place, i.e. Apple complying with valid warrants and subpoenas as requested.

auntjemima likes this.
  3. PNut12345

PNut12345 [H]ardness Supreme

But but but muh police state!!!!!

4. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

The Portal is only for this
    "When the portal goes live, law enforcement agents will be able to apply for authentication credentials, giving them the option to submit legal requests online,"

it's not a portal into you device.

5. UnknownSouljer

UnknownSouljer [H]ardness Supreme

Correct. It's basically just a system in place to handle the large amount of requests that they get. Giving an official channel and a method for processing just allows for their overhead to go down.

6. marshac

marshac [H]ard|Gawd

I'm guessing iCloud synced data is stuff Apple can provide, but that the phones themselves are still quite secure encrypted bricks, so unless you sync stuff up into the cloud (and are committing crimes that would garner the attention of law enforcement) your data is still likely quite secure. Now that the lightning port shuts off after some period of time, even some of the products out there to brute-force authentication will become ineffective (presumably?).