Apple iPhone Sales are Down Due to Reports of Future Models According to CEO

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Apple CEO Time Cook is blaming the lower than expected iPhone sales on speculation generated about new future models. Investors are extremely confident that the major iPhone redesign due later this year will spur sales. "We’re seeing what we believe to be a pause in purchases of iPhone, which we believe are due to the earlier and much more frequent reports about future iPhones," Apple Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said during a conference call with analysts.

Apple is pushing their services such as the iCloud, iTunes, etc to a 18% revenue increase of $7.04 billion for the quarter. This is in contrast to the falling China revenue of 14% due to competition from phones created directly by local Chinese firms. Also the Samsung Galaxy S8 launched in April and had strong sales whereas last year the Galaxy Note 7 was in the midst of a safety recall that Apple capitalized on.

"Chinese vendors such as Huawei, Oppo and Vivo continue to make life really hard for Apple in the region," John Butler, a Bloomberg Intelligence analyst, said. “We expect our performance in China to continue to improve as we go through the year," Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri said in an interview. Cook has repeatedly sought to highlight Apple’s services, the fastest growing part of the company last year. Sales of offerings like iCloud, the App Store and Apple Music grew 18 percent to $7.04 billion in the quarter. Maestri said the company aims to double annual services revenue by 2020.

I think this article is spot on. The sheep were scorned by the things mentioned by Axehandler but they will flock in droves again once mecca unveils the new.

The redesign is gonna have a new 3.5mm jack that you can plug in your headphone/headset!

Of course, Apple thinks that sales are down because of its own future products, not products from competitors. Fools

Yeah. Totally nothing to do with removing essential features or anything...

On a less snarky side:
Also the end of subsidies.
My contract ended around the same time that subsidies did, so I'll be on my Galaxy Note 4 for the forseable future.
Yay for removable batteries.

I don't use an iPhone but I haven't used a wired headphone on my android phone in like 2 years. Is it really that big of a deal? Bluetooth not bad for most people.

Yea... removing things people use (headphones) and charging more for adapters to USE headphones...

Did not cause ANY OF THAT!

Your right... it didn't LOL

I didn't even think about it when I brought the iPhone 7. Came with an adapter when I want to use high end headphones. I use bluetooth headphones for everything else like most people these days. I'm not going to buy an Android phone because go a headphone jack, I'd rather eat a pair of headphones than do that.

Apple has always had trouble competing when they run into serious competition.
The cell phone market is saturated, with tons of great choices.
Why pay the Apple tax when there are better phone available for less, or useable phones for much less.

Thats freaking hilarious! Dilbert just used this in a strip a little over a week ago... the CEO announced the new model they intended to release that Winter would be absolutely amazing.. and it tanked their sales as people waited in anticipation of the release :)

Didn't Tim cook know about the Osborne effect? Apple hasn't even been a consideration for me. I don't like their overpriced, under performing hardware. I'll build a hackintosh before I buy some of their products.

i dunno but to me this sounds like when that ms ceo bald goon creepy indian motherfucker was talking about the windows phone in the other thread

This happens every year. Every year the iPhone is released around September. Every year iPhone sales slow down about a quarter before the new phone announcement.

This is non-news.

Um, Apple *always* has the next version of the iPhone on the horizon. How is it any different this year? I can think of plenty of other reasons for the drop-off. Like market saturation. Or lack of compelling new features. Or high cost.

Makes you wonder just how much control Apple has over it's consumers. I have to believe they are the ones that purposely leak 'details' (fake or not) for their upcoming phone. Then slowly begin to cut production of current models and hope that people line out the door when their new model is out.

I doubt any of this happens by accident. Their yearly product cycle almost guarantees they they cannibalize their own current model sales as they near their usual September reveal. This year is a bit unique in that they are skipping over the S iteration and going straight to a complete overhaul causing even more hype than usual.

This news reads to me as Apple hyping up their new model rather than them blaming leaks for slowing sales. They really are geniuses at marketing...

I know i've pushed my upgrade off because I felt the 6+ and 7 were not big enough improvements for the money/inconvenience of upgrading.

High hopes for the 8.

And also, I know many people with 7's that do not give a **** that they removed the headphone port. So there's that.

Of course, Apple thinks that sales are down because of its own future products, not products from competitors. Fools

As much as I dislike the removal of the headphone jack. They are talking about sales numbers that are virtually the same as the same quarter last year, and a falloff from intial sales. Which is the usual pattern as they head into Q2 (aka the third quarter after revealing the last one). The quarter after that sucks, and the talking heads release their annual "is this the end of apple" articles, then they announce a new phone and sales go up.

Apple has some fundamental stuff to address. i.e. what's apple's future look like in china, what about everything not an iphone, iphone accessory, or iphone cloud service, ANd the biggie, what else besides iphone for the future?

Smartphones have become pervasive. There's going to be some minor team switching OSX to andorid and vice versa. Android handsets will make it look like people really give a shit about minor differences, but it'll be random churn up top market, and at the low end constant churn shopping for best value for the dollar or absolute cheapest. Nobody is making anything really notably different.

Now if they fuck up the next iphone, that'll be problems. Cause the 6s was the 6 and the 7 was the 6 without a headphone jack and some water resistance in extra scratchable black. Dont refresh the style or do something cool, and you might see more churn than you like in the cheaper, but good value android direction.

This happens every year. Every year the iPhone is released around September. Every year iPhone sales slow down about a quarter before the new phone announcement.

This is non-news.

Yeah but this is [H], Apple bashing is par for the course around here.

Surprise! Stock is also hitting new 52 week highs in anticipation. Go figure people think it's cause of a jack

Yawn. Same story, different year. We all know a new iPhone will be announced in August/September time frame and be available for purchase starting in October. The device will be out of stock until around December. Same as every year for the last 5-6? The first iPhone came out in 07, but sales didn't really ramp until a few years later.
I do own some Apple stock. Even though it was a ho-hum quarter - that was a heck of a lot of profit.
As a minor investor (for me, not so minor but I'm not trying to act like I'm having lunch with Tim Cook), you know what would happen if Apple had a battery issue like Samsung last year? The stock would DIE. The iPhone is Apple. iPad sales, down and not coming back up (tablets suck - admit it). Mac sales will remain minor and flat - people just aren't buying PC's like they used to and Mac computers are high priced.

I think iPads are fine, but the market is way over saturated, I know most families have ATLEAST one if not the majority have 2-3+ and honestly the only reason they get replaced is they're smashed beyond usability

Back