Apple iPhone 7 Event Livestream

Nah. Android used to have some real technological leads on Apple.

Back when Android had Copy and paste and Apple didn't, this was a big deal.

Back when Android had decent sized screens and Apple didn't, this was kind of a big deal too.

These days, who cares really. The differences are minor. Apple has higher end chips in their phones, but they don't seem to result in any real world difference.

My biggest selection criteria when I go phone shopping these days is the O.S. and how well patched it is. I'm happy to guy a slightly less than top end Nexus phone over a higher end Samsung/HTC/LG/Motorola or Apple phone because I know it will receive security patches at least monthly. Apple was pretty impressive with their recent IOS patch coming out very quickly after a security exploit was discovered, but they haven't been this proactive in the past so I don't really trust them.

Don't get me wrong. Monthly Nexus patching is still pretty weak. We need to get phones to where computers are from a security patching/update perspective, but as of right now, no one else is doing it better.

Apple engages in censorship and restricts your freedom. That alone should be reason enough to never buy anything from them unless you like being a slave.

well shit, rumors were true...same ol' same ol'...in high gloss jet black and black :(

Which will be immediately covered by a case for 80% of buyers anyway. Or a case covered in flowers or glued-on glass "diamonds" and fake gold for about 50% of the ones I see.

yes, by far. Apple has a long history of leaving known exploits unpatched for months, and in some cases even years. They are also extremely opaque when issues are discovered.

I don't trust OSX or iOS in the slightest.

people THINK they are secure, but I maintain that Apple has some of the weakest security protocols and procedures in the software industry.
lol

Hilarious.

I'm not an Apple fan, but I'm always impressed how they can take minor tech improvements and make it sound like they just landed men on Mars. Scratch that, they can make something like REMOVING a standard feature (like a headphone jack) sound even more impressive than starting a Martian colony. Their marketing is the stuff of legends.

It's sales and marketing. If they are doing their jobs, you'll think it's revolutionary. Even if it's not. Apparently, it works great for Apple as they are always selling tons of their shit. That is exactly their job, though - take minor improvements and sell them like they are something huge.

Lack of headphone jack is a killer for me. Even with the adapter. I like my good headphones and I dislike adapters. If it's not broken, why fix it?

I'm sure apple will offer a $50 adaptor for you $50 head phone jack adaptor so you can do both at the same time.

I've literally never used the headphone jack on my phone so it has zero effect on me.

$160 Air Pods..nah they are crazy with that.

Looks like a sharp device.

Camera seems excellent, and for some people who only have the camera in their phone I guess that is a selling point. I rarely use my phone camera at all, preferring a real camera, but that's just me.

The lack of the 2.5mm jack is a non starter though. I rarely use headsets on my phone, but when I do I need them to work, and ha information to use an adapter you may or may not be able to find when you need it is not going to cut it.

If I had one of these, the wireless headphones would sit in my car unused for 4 months until the day I needed them, at which point they would be dead the only time I needed them.

Despite all the hate Apple gets from this forum. I am going to upgrade my iPhone 6 to the 7 and get the new apple watch series 2 as I have loved my apple watch series one.

As for the lack of 3.5mm audio jack, I dont care because I havent used a wired earphones or head phones in over a year and I have never missed it. Plus I believe engadget reported that the adapter comes with the phone.

Wait...so when I'm on an airplane, my "Airpods" are rendered useless, since I have to have my phone in Airplane Mode? Is this new "W1" standard Apple-only? Or will it be licensed to other vendors?

If I lose one "Airpod", am I on the hook for another $160 to replace the whole set? This alone is going to be a huge revenue stream. People will lose these tiny things left and right. (no pun intended)

How much are they charging for that Lighting-to-3.5mm adapter when I lose the included one? What if I want to charge my phone and use the headphones at the same time?

Wait...so when I'm on an airplane, my "Airpods" are rendered useless, since I have to have my phone in Airplane Mode?
You know you can actually turn on airplane mode and turn back on Bluetooth, right?

You know you can actually turn on airplane mode and turn back on Bluetooth, right?

Yes, the FAA made a specific exception for Bluetooth devices, but if this is a new wireless technology that doesn't conform to an existing standard, then the FAA would need to do an analysis on the signal before it would be approved.

bluetooth.jpg

Yes, the FAA made a specific exception for Bluetooth devices, but if this is a new wireless technology that doesn't conform to an existing standard, then the FAA would need to do an analysis on the signal before it would be approved.
So don't turn on airplane mode.

Wait...so when I'm on an airplane, my "Airpods" are rendered useless, since I have to have my phone in Airplane Mode? Is this new "W1" standard Apple-only? Or will it be licensed to other vendors?

If I lose one "Airpod", am I on the hook for another $160 to replace the whole set? This alone is going to be a huge revenue stream. People will lose these tiny things left and right. (no pun intended)

How much are they charging for that Lighting-to-3.5mm adapter when I lose the included one? What if I want to charge my phone and use the headphones at the same time?

Sounds like you have the tendency to lose things. Maybe it's just you.

So don't turn on airplane mode.

You misunderstand. The FAA exception for wireless devices only analyzed PED resistance for the existing common frequencies and equipment. (cellular bands, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc). They didn't account for whatever new signal Apple is using. So technically, until someone at the FAA and the airlines gets the specs and does the analysis, then it likely should not be allowed to be used on an airplane.

Never had an earbud fall out? Normally it's not a big deal since they're wired. But what if one of these bounces out while you're riding your bike? Or crossing a busy street? Or it just falls under your feet on the treadmill and gets squashed?

You misunderstand. The FAA exception for wireless devices only analyzed PED resistance for the existing common frequencies and equipment. (cellular bands, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc). They didn't account for whatever new signal Apple is using. So technically, until someone at the FAA and the airlines gets the specs and does the analysis, then it likely should not be allowed to be used on an airplane.
Mountain out of a molehill. The solution is simple: Don't use airplane mode if you're so worried about not being able to not use Airpods.

No, these are legitimate concerns.

It's one thing if you use your adapter daily. Then you'll probably know where it is, with your adapter.

If you are like me and only use a headset with your phone once or twice a year when you have an important call or something to take, you may not remember where you put that damned adapter 6 months ago.

When it comes to headsets as it does most devices though, if I have a choice of one that has a battery and needs charging and one that has a wire and never requires charging, I will ALWAYS choose the latter, no matter what it is. Mouse, keyboard, computer, headset, power tools, you name it.

Mountain out of a molehill. The solution is simple: Don't use airplane mode if you're so worried about not being able to not use Airpods.

No, my point is you would not be allowed by the FAA to use AirPods on an airplane in the US PERIOD. Nothing to do with airplane mode, everything to do with safety of flight.

Remember back in the day when you couldn't use any electronic devices on an airplane? Then they did some analysis and said it's probably safe, but not during take off and landing. Then they did MORE analysis and said you can use most PEDs just fine. This is a new wireless signal, and until it's been reviewed, it wouldn't be allowed.

Actually Bluetooth and other short-range devices are allowed on Airplanes since 2013. Press Release – FAA to Allow Airlines to Expand Use of Personal Electronics

That covers Bluetooth. This is NOT Bluetooth. If Apple can show the FAA specs that say it operates in the same bands and similar power levels, it may be easy to approve. But the FAA approved Bluetooth because Bluetooth actually has known signal standards.

No, my point is you would not be allowed by the FAA to use AirPods on an airplane in the US PERIOD. Nothing to do with airplane mode, everything to do with safety of flight.

Remember back in the day when you couldn't use any electronic devices on an airplane? Then they did some analysis and said it's probably safe, but not during take off and landing. Then they did MORE analysis and said you can use most PEDs just fine. This is a new wireless signal, and until it's been reviewed, it wouldn't be allowed.

That covers Bluetooth. This is NOT Bluetooth. If Apple can show the FAA specs that say it operates in the same bands and similar power levels, it may be easy to approve. But the FAA approved Bluetooth because Bluetooth actually has known signal standards.
Again, mountain out of a molehill. Is your name Michael Osterman? And no, read the FAA website. It covers all PED's, not just Bluetooth's.

Again, mountain out of a molehill. Is your name Michael Osterman? And no, read the FAA website. It covers all PED's, not just Bluetooth's.

No, but I do deal with EMI issues and federal regulations daily. And don't read the FAA press release, go read the actual standards and tests the airlines had to conduct to ensure their aircraft are PED resistant.

No, but I do deal with EMI issues and federal regulations daily. And don't read the FAA press release, go read the actual standards and tests the airlines had to conduct to ensure their aircraft are PED resistant.
Well I congratulate you good sir for being the Mr. Paranoid. Now, the solution is simple, don't use airplane mode if you want to use Airpods. Have fun crashing your airplane (which it won't). I used to work for Boeing so your paranoia is a bit unwarranted.

Jesus, I've never seen someone get so upset over wireless frequencies and their effects on planes.

Well I congratulate you good sir for being the Mr. Paranoid. Now, the solution is simple, don't use airplane mode if you want to use Airpods. Have fun crashing your airplane (which it won't).

Do you actually understand what airplane mode is?

Jesus, I've never seen someone get so upset over wireless frequencies and their effects on planes.

A portion of my job is spent dealing with huge headaches caused by idiots (some commercial companies, and some foreign governments) who don't like to follow the US and international rules regarding signals. So it's one of my pet peeves when people just blow them off.

A portion of my job is spent dealing with huge headaches caused by idiots (some commercial companies, and some foreign governments) who don't like to follow the US and international rules regarding signals. So it's one of my pet peeves when people just blow them off.

Well then why don't you go ahead and call up Apple to make sure they adhere to the rules, because they obviously have no idea about any of this.

You just described a majority of travelers around the world that don't activate airplane mode just because the flight stewardess said so. Now, Apple is that way in Palo Alto and you can get on their case about it. Meanwhile, keep on trucking.

Back