Apple Invests $200 Million in Corning to Innovate on Gorilla Glass

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Apple thinks Gorilla Glass has plenty of improvements that can be made to it, so they have gifted Corning some big bucks to spearhead the effort. The money actually comes from the fruit company’s newly announced fund toward US manufacturing, which totals $1 billion. As you probably know, Gorilla Glass is featured on many mobiles and is probably responsible for keeping countless scratches and other accidents from damaging users’ screens. Now we can expect it to get even stronger.

“Corning is a great example of a supplier that has continued to innovate and they are one of Apple’s long-standing suppliers,” Apple COO Jeff Williams said in a Friday statement announcing the investment. “This partnership started 10 years ago with the very first iPhone, and today every customer that buys an iPhone or iPad anywhere in the world touches glass that was developed in America. We’re extremely proud of our collaboration over the years and we are investing further with Corning who has such a rich legacy of innovative manufacturing practices.”

For all the iterations of Gorilla Glass it is still pretty easy to break it if you drop it on anything hard. Has anyone seen a test comparing real life fragility of the different generations?

For all the iterations of Gorilla Glass it is still pretty easy to break it if you drop it on anything hard. Has anyone seen a test comparing real life fragility of the different generations?

I never really felt their improvements were geared towards drops, but towards scratches.

They should of re-invested in that sapphire company that went bust because of them. Corning keeps saying each gg gets better and better yet we all know what happens when we drop the phone, all those advances don't really help in the end.

Nice to see Apple investing some of it's money pile. Could do even more but it's a start.

The main problem is phone manufacturers decrease the glass thickness everytime Corning releases a new version. Gotta save weight and make those phones 0.013 mm slimmer.

If they would use the same glass thickness with Version 5 Gorilla Glass that they used with version 1 it would be damn near unbreakable.

Gorilla glass is one of the biggest bullshit products out there.

Hmm remember the Sapphire(?) bullshit about 5 years ago?

The main problem is phone manufacturers decrease the glass thickness everytime Corning releases a new version. Gotta save weight and make those phones 0.013 mm slimmer.

If they would use the same glass thickness with Version 5 Gorilla Glass that they used with version 1 it would be damn near unbreakable.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

You do realise that glass thickness affects total light output and screen distortion also yes? I think people like to bitch for the sake of it... the iPhone 7 screen is already insanely hard to break.

Except now I suspect Apple will have an exclusive on all new Gorilla Glass releases :/

Well if they paid for its development... they should at least have a time based exclusivity to it.

Gorilla glass is for scratch resistance.
Comments in regards to shatter resistance do not apply.

I never really felt their improvements were geared towards drops, but towards scratches.
I believe the glass has always been weak against dropping it on it's sides so if the phone casing doesn't distribute the load of a drop the screen can crack starting on it's edges. They are quite scratch and flex resistant. They also have the habit of shattering when they finally break, which ofc makes things worse.

You do realise that glass thickness affects total light output and screen distortion also yes? I think people like to bitch for the sake of it... the iPhone 7 screen is already insanely hard to break.
You do reallize that no human alive today could tell the difference visually between looking through iphone 1 glass and iphone 7 glass.
The only place you would hear about such foolishness would be in apple marketing materials.
Sorry to burst your bubble.

I thought the Sapphire company, GT Advanced, went bankrupt because they over promised their output capability in order to keep the lucrative Apple agreement? But maybe Apple was just really really mean to them.

Did someone say Transparent Aluminum™?

dc75f678e4b58c4f12156e1ad7be83b4.jpg

You do reallize that no human alive today could tell the difference visually between looking through iphone 1 glass and iphone 7 glass.
The only place you would hear about such foolishness would be in apple marketing materials.

Wrong its easy to tell the difference, new iPhones the screen feels it is part of the glass or sits on the surface. Old iPhones its like the screen is sitting in the background, just because you don't remember it... Compare them side by side and a monkey could tell the difference.

Gorilla glass is good, anyone who thinks we should go back to plastic have very short memories of how bad phones used to be with scratches and chips.

They should of re-invested in that sapphire company that went bust because of them. Corning keeps saying each gg gets better and better yet we all know what happens when we drop the phone, all those advances don't really help in the end.

They ran themselves into the ground. Apple gave them money to re-tool and they screwed up their product.

Wrong its easy to tell the difference, new iPhones the screen feels it is part of the glass or sits on the surface. Old iPhones its like the screen is sitting in the background, just because you don't remember it... Compare them side by side and a monkey could tell the difference.
Gorilla glass is good, anyone who thinks we should go back to plastic have very short memories of how bad phones used to be with scratches and chips.
So now you're changing your original premise from "thickness affects total light output and screen distortion" to how a screen 'feels?'. Is that a red herring I smell because i can't compete with that line of logic.
Similarly you can't compare old iphones with new ones because you're comparing apples and Orangutans , Apple has used a different bonding process between iphone models even changing how the touch sensors where seperate or built into the LCD creating a bigger gap from the glass. Once again nothing to do with the thickness of the glass.

And at no time did i ever say that Gorilla glass was bad, just manufacturers implementation of it because they keep making it thinner.
Gorilla glass is for scratch resistance.
Comments in regards to shatter resistance do not apply.
Why not, Corning does.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-glass-4-can-now-survive-drops-80-of-the-time

Yes but one of the first things I put on every new phone is an aftermarket "glass" screen protector. The thick quality kind. I long ago discovered that with those on the phones and a rubberized case to protect as best as possible against edge drops that I could shove the thing in a pocket, even with my keys in it, and not care. Those films are so scratch resistant that I might need to change it once over the life of the phone. And that's just MAYBE once.

I was really, really looking forward to getting those protectors in the Sapphire type. *sigh*

So now you're changing your original premise from "thickness affects total light output and screen distortion" to how a screen 'feels?'. Is that a red herring I smell because i can't compete with that line of logic.
Similarly you can't compare old iphones with new ones because you're comparing apples and Orangutans , Apple has used a different bonding process between iphone models even changing how the touch sensors where seperate or built into the LCD creating a bigger gap from the glass. Once again nothing to do with the thickness of the glass.

And at no time did i ever say that Gorilla glass was bad, just manufacturers implementation of it because they keep making it thinner.

Why not, Corning does.
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...-glass-4-can-now-survive-drops-80-of-the-time
Well, it's understandable for them to expand outwards for marketability, but the primary design feature has always been scratch resistance. As such, that should be the primary focus when discussing the product. Excluding the main design feature of a product when reviewing or speaking on it is, for obvious reasons, not representative of it's design footprint.

So, for example, if I only evaluated a Ferrari on how comfortable it's ride was, it would get a pretty poor review. Despite comfort being a concern of the manufacturer.

Don't miss the mountain for the mole hill, it's a sign of poor critical reasoning (or a defensive mindset).

Well, it's understandable for them to expand outwards for marketability, but the primary design feature has always been scratch resistance. As such, that should be the primary focus when discussing the product. Excluding the main design feature of a product when reviewing or speaking on it is, for obvious reasons, not representative of it's design footprint.

So, for example, if I only evaluated a Ferrari on how comfortable it's ride was, it would get a pretty poor review. Despite comfort being a concern of the manufacturer.

Don't miss the mountain for the mole hill, it's a sign of poor critical reasoning (or a defensive mindset).

It was invented as a strengthened glass, scratch resistance was an added benefit including surface strength, ability to contain flaws, and crack-resistance. Super-strong glass has been around since the 60's and just recently found a home in consumer electronics.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glass
TLDR I win, You lose

Back