Apple Invents Keyless Keyboards for Macs and iPad Pro

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
A newly published patent application from Apple describes a “keyless keyboard” in the works, which could offer the flexibility (customization) of a touch-screen, virtual keyboard, but with tactile response. Some iterations of the device depict what is essentially a keyboard-shaped display outfitted with force sensors and a haptic board.

Because the keyboard doesn't have mechanical keys, the keyboard may provide numerous other features and functions beyond mere keyboard input. For example, the keyboard may include an adaptive display to render visual information, such as an outline of an input region (e.g., representing a key) and an indication of its function (e.g., a glyph).

Welcome to like 2015, Apple. Lenovo has had this on the market for a while.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/table...s-series/Yoga-Book-with-Windows/p/ZZITZTWYB2L

lenovo-yoga-book-open-hero.jpg

lenovo-yoga-book-windows-main.png

Last edited:
I'm going to sue them, I had that idea long ago (about the same time they introduced glass cockpits in Flight Simulator), no damn it, I forget to get a patent, I just don't think like Apple.

wow that's great!

if you hate your fingers.

tapping on a solid surface will destroy your hands.

fucking dumb.
And Atari did this back in 1979 with the Atari 400 computer, Timex Sinclair had a comparable keyboard, if you ddn't mind sore fingers, it was ok, and easy to keep clean, in Atari some people would buy an after market full stroke upgrade and use that instead, Timex Sinclair I don't know about since I never had one.This is merely reinvention, there is nothing new here to see.

And Atari did this back in 1979 with the Atari 400 computer, Timex Sinclair had a comparable keyboard, if you ddn't mind sore fingers, it was ok, and easy to keep clean, in Atari some people would buy an after market full stroke upgrade and use that instead, Timex Sinclair I don't know about since I never had one.This is merely reinvention, there is nothing new here to see.

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw it, much like the Atari 400 membrane keyboard. We have tons of equipment in the laboratory with the same keyboard right now, mostly so that they are water/solvent resistant.

I don't even like the flat keys on my laptop, I would never want this for a desktop.

Well you might try cleaning it once in a while (sorry couldn't resist).
That's one of those things that actually helps calm you after a real crappy evening of PUBG!:mad: Most of the nail clippings and crumbs get knocked out after slamming it on the desk!:angelic: The chunks out of the desk actually add character:cautious:

Well you might try cleaning it once in a while (sorry couldn't resist).

Unlike newer keyboards, it's actually easy to clean.
Every few years I pull all the key caps off, clean them and put it back together.

At work, if someone's keyboard gets to dirty (or I'm recycling the computer to someone else), I toss the old keyboard and buy a new one.

Unlike newer keyboards, it's actually easy to clean.
Every few years I pull all the key caps off, clean them and put it back together.

At work, if someone's keyboard gets to dirty (or I'm recycling the computer to someone else), I toss the old keyboard and buy a new one.
I do that on mine though my O key went flying across the room never to be seen by a human again, so I stole the * key from the number pad. What I've found though is I have a really short haired dog (part Vizsla) and it's unbelievable how fast her hair gets under the keys and not even the shop vac can get 'em out...a solid keyboard would be nice for that, but I'm with the people who want full movement, haptic feed back isn't going to fix painful fingers.

Later this year, they're releasing '2 dimensional girlfriend'. An equally fantastic idea.

Dunno, bro. I like the little ridges between my keys. I'm a touch typist, but its often more than just location familiarity that makes that possible. Those little ridges between the keys do something for me.

My only issue with Apple is that they keep using the Christopher Columbus approach to announcing their products. We already let one man discover somebody else's back yard, do we have to keep letting companies "invent" an idea that was invented years ago?

I wonder if this is similar to the TouchBar they have on the Macbook Pro's? It's a small OLED screen that the apps can customize. I hate the TouchBar. It seemed like a good idea when I read about it - dynamic keys, apps can customize them, etc.
However, I've been using one for almost a year now for my current job. I find myself having to stop what I'm thinking about, look at the TouchBar to find the key, then resume my task. I also accidentally hit it with my fingers all the time - my screen brightness is constantly changing as I hit that key.
My major gripe: I like to use vi as my text editor. I was a Unix developer for about 13 years at an earlier job, so developed motor memory for this editor. Did I mention that the ESC key is on the TouchBar? No touch typing - plus, the key can dynamically not be there (although Apple does let you customize it and third party apps exist to go even further). I know vi (vim to you young pups) is a very old editor and I could use one that has a GUI. But I like it my way. Freaking guis...
If Apple were to add some kind of haptic feedback, not sure if it would be better or not. I would have to try it. In the meantime, I'll prefer my Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard I'm using right now. We don't need know stinking haptic feedback - we have mechanical and sonic feedback already!

I wonder if this is similar to the TouchBar they have on the Macbook Pro's? It's a small OLED screen that the apps can customize. I hate the TouchBar. It seemed like a good idea when I read about it - dynamic keys, apps can customize them, etc.
However, I've been using one for almost a year now for my current job. I find myself having to stop what I'm thinking about, look at the TouchBar to find the key, then resume my task. I also accidentally hit it with my fingers all the time - my screen brightness is constantly changing as I hit that key.
My major gripe: I like to use vi as my text editor. I was a Unix developer for about 13 years at an earlier job, so developed motor memory for this editor. Did I mention that the ESC key is on the TouchBar? No touch typing - plus, the key can dynamically not be there (although Apple does let you customize it and third party apps exist to go even further). I know vi (vim to you young pups) is a very old editor and I could use one that has a GUI. But I like it my way. Freaking guis...
If Apple were to add some kind of haptic feedback, not sure if it would be better or not. I would have to try it. In the meantime, I'll prefer my Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard I'm using right now. We don't need know stinking haptic feedback - we have mechanical and sonic feedback already!

VI and VIM are different (unless VI know just has all the VIM features). VIM was a more advanced more of VI that has syntax highlighting and a few other features.

Now that you say that, i could see that being an issue if you don't have any actual keys. Right for those that type correctly they do so by knowing where the home row is and know when their fingers are on f and j because of the little bumps. If you get rid of those along with the ability to feel that you are on a key how will that effect typing. Although i am not sure many people today actually type correctly to start with so who knows. Probably won't be any different for 75% of the people needing to look at the keyboard anyway.

membrane keboards have been around since like forever

1979 - Atari enters the personal computer market in February by announcing the 400 and 800 models. The 400 is a non-expandable 8K computer with a membrane keyboard, a single cartridge slot and a cassette port. It will sell for $500. The 800 is an 8K computer expandable to 48K. It comes with a cassette recorder, a full keyboard, 8K BASIC built in and high resolution graphics capabilities. It will sell for $1000. Neither machine appears until August, and then only in limited quantities.

What im surprised no one has used the back of cellphone to type. Well executed it would be an innovation

wow that's great!

if you hate your fingers.

tapping on a solid surface will destroy your hands.

fucking dumb.

But, but.... it's Apple! It will be fantastic! And it will be lauded as the greatest thing since the wheel! And sliced bread! And penicillin! And...and...
Well it'll be really, really cool and we'll line up outside in the cold to get one. Because you know... it's Apple!

I never noticed this but wasn't that system supposed to have been up and running for 20 years? But uptime in top is 8 days..

IIRC someone stated it was a module created later that was recently activated by Flynn to send out a message for help.

Back