Apple In Talks With Sharp To Supply OLED Displays For Next-Generation iPhones

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sharp will be joining Samsung in the endeavor of supplying OLED screens for future iPhones. The company already gets 27 percent of its revenue from Apple, and this move would ideally boost Sharp’s profits further.

The Osaka-based company would be one of a handful of OLED suppliers for Apple, and the deal is said to originate from the Cupertino company's "desire to increase the number of suppliers for OLED screens" for a number of future devices. The rumor of Apple's negotiations with Sharp followed a report on Friday that said the electronics manufacturer is set to spend $570 million on OLED panel production. Sharp will use the funds to purchase equipment for OLED production in its Osaka and Mie factories, with the ultimate goal to start production "by June 2018." According to some watching the negotiations, Apple is encouraging Sharp to enter the OLED business.

About time. OLED makes a HUGE difference if you are viewing at night or in a dark environment.

You know not like phones are viewed in direct sunlight alot or anything...

Newer AMOLED screens are as bright or brighter than most LCD's. If you are watching videos in direct sunlight.....

Its time for quality. LCD has out lived itself in the TV/phone market. There were all kinds of better tech, but since LCD was cheaper, thats what consumer got stuck with. I am glad for LG pushing OLED once Sony pulled back on plans a few years ago. Panny, Philips, Sharp, and hopefully from Rumors, Sony will be in the market next year. (All be it most panels coming from LG Display as of now.) Will this delay the actual NEW Iphone with OLED since Sharp won't be up till 2018? Will Samsung be able to meet demand next year?

I think Apple should take a bold stance and remove the screen from the next iPhone. I mean displays are old tech that has been around forever so its time for them to go!

The OLED in my Samsung S3 from FOUR years ago is better than current gen LCDs.
Glad to see Apple starting to adopt newer tech, rather than just creating their own supposed must-have tech and forcing it on their naive customer base.

Currently though I have a ZTE Axon 7 - which also has an amazing OLED screen.

Next Gen iPhone: NOW WITH 2GB of RAM instead of ONE! Get it now for ONLY $799!

The OLED in my Samsung S3 from FOUR years ago is better than current gen LCDs.
Glad to see Apple starting to adopt newer tech, rather than just creating their own supposed must-have tech and forcing it on their naive customer base.

Currently though I have a ZTE Axon 7 - which also has an amazing OLED screen.

Having one of the ose S3s, I don't know what crack you are smoking. They were blue/green tinted screen door looking messes. I got one of them from work around the same time I got an iphone 4s for myself with retina display. Other than black levels, it was a hot mess, and I certainly wouldn't put it up as the standard bearer for OLED vs. IPS. Once decent high dpi AMOLED displays hit that were actually being color calibrated worth a damn, that's a different matter. The iphone market is a VERY large beast to feed though, and a uniform quality high dpi IPS panel would beat lots of quality variation and limited supply.

Back