Apple Granted 41 New Patents

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hey, this patent seems pretty damn familiar. I just can't put my finger on it but I could swear there are other companies that already do this. :rolleyes:

Apple Granted Patent for a Sensor-Based User Interface. Apple has been granted a major patent today for their invention that generally relates to computer user interface systems and methods, and more specifically to computer user interface systems and methods employing distance, depth and/or proximity sensors.

The US needs to follow New Zealand's policy and ban software patents.

They need to change the system, so that you have to show an actual intent to use the patent in a meaningful way (either something in production or working on finances for production) within a year of it being granted or you lose it.
That would solve a lot of this patent EVERYTHING mentality.

aussie-haterade.gif

Is it in you?

They need to change the system, so that you have to show an actual intent to use the patent in a meaningful way (either something in production or working on finances for production) within a year of it being granted or you lose it.
That would solve a lot of this patent EVERYTHING mentality.

I agree. You should also not be able to patent something that's already being used or is close to something that is being used. In fact the whole concept of patents is stupid to begin with and simply encourages monopoly. We are lucky companies don't abuse it more than they currently do.

Sensor based UI... isn’t that basically another name for a touch device? It's not what is described in the article, but it could still apply, so if they feel like it they could sue all the other phone/tablet manufacturers for infringing their patent.

...so if they feel like it they could sue all the other phone/tablet manufacturers for infringing their patent.

if...IF...this is apple we are talking about there, so you just KNOW there will be lawsuits incoming shortly on everything ever remotely close to this.

if...IF...this is apple we are talking about there, so you just KNOW there will be lawsuits incoming shortly on everything ever remotely close to this.

Good point, they're probably prepping some documents related to the pending lawsuits, as we speak. :D

Wait so something that Track IR, The Xbox 360, the Wii, and Wii U, and the PS3 Move technology all use, and Apple slap a patent on it regardless of prior art?

Imagine the administrative overhead in doing something like that. It's completely untenable.

Wait so something that Track IR, The Xbox 360, the Wii, and Wii U, and the PS3 Move technology all use, and Apple slap a patent on it regardless of prior art?

I'm beginning to thing we need to open source our patent office. Bring together about 100 or so of the greatest minds in the country (scholars, inventors, James Franco). They get presented with a list of patent apps once per month and get to vote yes or no via open discussion. Any conflict of interest are auto purged out. Anything would be better than what we currently have.

Introducing the all new Apple Kinext. With this brand new innovation you can flail around like a jackass to all your favorite games on the Apple One console.

Don't forget the NES PowerGlove.

And if you really want to get into tracking IR, you could also go for optical mice. Back in the day, even serial optical mice were around.. and they used IR.

The US needs to follow New Zealand's policy and ban software patents.

Or at the very least have a big stamp that they can put on everything Apple sends to the USPTO that says "LoL Return To Sender"

Just another reason to hate Apple.

Also used on;
air gesture on the Galaxy phones
gesture on Samsung smart tv's

Have to be careful with Apple(s). A little is ok but too much gives you the squirts. :eek:

I'm beginning to thing we need to open source our patent office. Bring together about 100 or so of the greatest minds in the country (scholars, inventors, James Franco). They get presented with a list of patent apps once per month and get to vote yes or no via open discussion. Any conflict of interest are auto purged out. Anything would be better than what we currently have.

Haha totally off topic but i just watched the franco roast, which was awesome, sanbergs skit was awesome.

Don't forget the NES PowerGlove.

And if you really want to get into tracking IR, you could also go for optical mice. Back in the day, even serial optical mice were around.. and they used IR.

I love the Power Glove, it's so bad....

lucas-wizard-power-glove.jpg

Back