Apple Files Second Trade Complaint Against HTC

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple has filed another complain against HTC with the ITC (International Trade Commission) seeking to block the company's personal electronic devices. What? No FBI, CIA or the Secret Service this time?

Apple has been using the ITC to go after makers of mobile devices that run Google Inc.'s Android operating system. The HTC complaint is the second Cupertino, California-based Apple has lodged against the phonemaker in the past 16 months. A judge is scheduled to issue a decision in that case on Aug. 5. Those findings are subject to review by the full commission, which can block imports of products that infringe U.S. patents.

Yea no shit. HTC pumps out mostly great phones on a regular basis compared to the iPhone, giving it a good run for it's money when paired with Android.

That is the smell of a company getting their ass handed to them in smartphone sales

FTFY. :D
Android phones are beating iPhones by more than 2-to-1, gee I wonder why Apple is a little sue-happy these days. :rolleyes:

Maybe we should invest in HTC stock. It should go up a quite a bit if Apple get their a$$es handed to them.

I would never own an Ianything. Can't stand apples either. lol

Not defending any company here but of this was Android or HTC going at Apple, you'd all be saying that a company has a right to protect their trademark and this would be one of the way to go about it.

Just saying.

Carry on.

I mean to say a company has a right to protect their IP, not trademark.

FTFY. :D
Android phones are beating iPhones by more than 2-to-1, gee I wonder why Apple is a little sue-happy these days. :rolleyes:

200 phones vs 2-3 phones...LOL

Oh and Android sales are not beating iphone sales in the US :D

Not defending any company here but of this was Android or HTC going at Apple, you'd all be saying that a company has a right to protect their trademark and this would be one of the way to go about it.

Just saying.

Carry on.

Actually HTC is suing Apple to keep their products from being imported as well, but that's more of a counter-suit than anything. HTC didn't throw the first stone, I think that's the point here. Apple obviously has no problem going out and filing lawsuits and ITC complaints...I think that's why people generally hate them and consider them to be a "smug" company.

Android = freely available to phone manufacturers
iOS = Apple keeps it under lock and key (same as OS X)
You can't pull the "they only make x amount of phones" card; it doesn't work here. Do you honestly think that if iOS wasn't freely available to HTC, Samsung, Nokia, LG etc. that those companies wouldn't put out an iOS phone? Get real.

Once more, Apple holds their IP to their chest and lets no one else use it. That's a double edged sword. It's Apple's way or the highway. Same reason I choose not to own Apple computers....I don't like being told by a man (who wears black shirts and black pants and thinks he's the second coming) what I can and cannot do with the hardware I paid cash money for. It's mine, I should be able to do whatever I want with it.

And worldwide sales vs. US only, who cares. Fact is they're getting their asses kicked and they clearly don't like it. Oh well...their loss. Again - limit the hardware that can run your iOS, what else do you expect?

Really? I could of sworn the US market share at the end of last year was 33.5% RIM, 26% Google, 25% Apple, 9% Microsoft.

As for 200 phones, between LG, Motorola, Samsung and HTC there's maybe 8 at any given time that are current models. Can't blame them for innovating and releasing new phones like the yearly rehash of Apples.

Correction, just looked at the latest numbers as of May 31, compared to the previous numbers I had which were Jan 31.

Google: 38.1%, Apple: 26.6%, RIM: 24.7%, Microsoft: 5.8%

Apple also has the patent on "cube-shaped building made out of a lot of glass" as well as "camera strobe light thingy".

withs RIM's lack of recent hardware, android and iOS should have alot more movement with people looking for a modern device

ive had my 2 iphones but they were my last apple products, also the last 2 ill purchase for my entire office apple has no place here or my home...quite sick of them and these lawsuits... spend less time with this crap and more time innovating , android hardware is now on par with apple's, the only thing apple has going for it is a slightly more developed app store but that's not going to last long

applesuit.png

Apple is just scared that HTC will continue thriving as it is now and start taking more market share from them. Nothing new to report here.

Apple how about make a superior device and shut the front door its breezy in there Apple.

I view it as Apple sees what's coming down the pike, and it has them scared, as it's already happened before. PCs from different vendors came out, and Apple also prevented third party vendors from selling clones. Result? Dell, HP, Gateway, Compaq, etc, and MS windows came along and ate their lunch.

Mobile space is the new tech battleground. Again we see Apple locking down their OS to their own hardware, and not letting third party vendors participate in their products (I'd bet dollars that if Samsung, etc. could make an IOS phone they would). Again we have lots of third parties innovating and making better hardware at better prices. Again we have a solid alternate software solution in Android. Apple hasn't learned.

with me and 4 others members of my family owning HTC phones that we love, this enrages me. apple needs to piss the fuck off with this whole patent infringement shit. they always seem to go after anyone with anything that worth money and hurts them.

on a second note, what the hell about an HTC phone is similar to the iCrap?

The thing is that HTC, Samsung and all of the other players now have two viable choices for their phones, Android and Windows Phone, that's going to be tough to compete against if you have but a single offering. I know that Windows Phone is off to a slow start sales wise but with Mango (have the Beta 2 installed on my HTC Arrive and it's pretty damn slick) and better hardware I think you'll see some up tick in sales.

At some point I wonder if Apple will diversify it's phone and possibly even tablet offerings from once per year releases to perhaps a couple of models per year. With Windows 8 on the way the new wave of devices of all sorts coming from that I do think that the days of the single device per year offerings is going to get stale eventually.

Apple has lost their edge and dominance on the market, now they don't have anything better up their sleeves, they are fighting dirty, first this crap about patent infringement with Samsung (Droid Charge doesn't look, sound, or even spelled remotely like an iPhone), and now an attempt at a trade block on a company soon to be releasing a very powerful phone.

They are trying to tamper with the competition, by trying to force themselves as the only alternative smart phone around the projected (or rumored) release schedule of the android phones, especially with the iphone 5...It's like they are hoping people are stupid enough to not find the HTC/Samsung phone they wanted, due to the potential injunctions going through, and buy the Apple product instead.

So much for freedom of choice, thanks Apple, your truly turning into the Nazi company we all loath, I wasn't sold on buying an iphone before, but due to the lack of any decent Android phones on AT&T at the time, it was that or another blackberry, definitely an Android in the next month or so.

Apple has lost their edge and dominance on the market, now they don't have anything better up their sleeves, they are fighting dirty, first this crap about patent infringement with Samsung (Droid Charge doesn't look, sound, or even spelled remotely like an iPhone), and now an attempt at a trade block on a company soon to be releasing a very powerful phone.

They are trying to tamper with the competition, by trying to force themselves as the only alternative smart phone around the projected (or rumored) release schedule of the android phones, especially with the iphone 5...It's like they are hoping people are stupid enough to not find the HTC/Samsung phone they wanted, due to the potential injunctions going through, and buy the Apple product instead.

So much for freedom of choice, thanks Apple, your truly turning into the Nazi company we all loath, I wasn't sold on buying an iphone before, but due to the lack of any decent Android phones on AT&T at the time, it was that or another blackberry, definitely an Android in the next month or so.

Many have been saying for a long time this was the 80's all over again only with Google instead of MS. Closed systems will always stagnate and be surpassed.

Apple's walled garden grows out of control, generates them a ton of money for awhile, then the garden stops growing, but still generates money.

Back