Apple: Feds Don't Have Access To Our Servers

HardOCP News

[H] News
Tim Cook sounds a little feisty, doesn't he?

Apple isn't colluding with the NSA to hand over user data and CEO Tim Cook wants you to know that. In fact, Cook feels so strongly about this issue of security that he's gone on record saying the government would need "to cart [Apple's employees] out in a box" to get access to its servers.

Yeah, I totally believe Cook. He'd never try to obfuscate the truth. No, not him.

Poor Tim Cook. He may be rich, but even he can't buy a legacy.

too bad nsa already have access to apple's server even if apple doesnt want to give it to them

"They don't have access to our servers...

... we just made them a back door for all our devices in exchange for leaving our servers alone and we totally believe them too!"

"The feds don't have access to our servers..... that we know of."

If there isn't a backdoor or "gentlemen's agreement" for access, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a little closet in the datacenter of the nearest ISP that the traffic passes through.

Wasn't it an AT&T employee that claimed there was a government closet in most of their datacenters?

If there isn't access on the level of the company hosting the data, you can be sure there is access at the companies transmitting the data.

I trust him, same with Microsoft. Its a different story with Google, a company that both lobbies more than any other tech and profits directly from selling and using customer information.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1040573862 said:
Wasn't it an AT&T employee that claimed there was a government closet in most of their datacenters?

I know every CO has a room that all the cables go into and out of... and nobody talks about that room

They don't have access TO our servers..... (they just have access to all of that data that moves through the lies that go to our servers.... SSSHHHHHH).

Probably true.
Why would the Feds need access when they've got their legs spread for the NSA already?

A greed driven company makes a public statement about their good intentions. Anyone remember this company saying: "Do no evil"

There is a reason I don't like Apple...

You're all wrong... Feds probably don't have access to Apple's servers. Jeez, believe in optimism a little, eh? Apple sends it directly to the feds' servers. Why spend money to keep data that'll be used by someone else? Just make them host it.

If he was so adamantly opposed to it with such strong conviction, he could have said it sooner.

All this means is that Apple isn't aware that the Feds have access to their servers. That's actually far worse than to just come out and say that you collaborate with the Feds. GG Apple!

huh-uh
Its hard to believe when they are required in the orders given to DENY DENY DENY!.

I would believe any big company like this, if they where involved in suing the government, and they where tied up in legal issues against the government.

Actually part of the reason I would remove the tinfoil hat before Snowden, was the thought that these things would cost a lot of money to the companies, plus it could destroy their reputation if it ever came to light what they are doing. I made more sense to me that if they were ever required to have the government like a parasite smooching off their work, they would sue first for their own benefit of costs/reputation, you know freedom of the company they work hard to create, maintain.
Well turns out the NSA/CIA just transfers money to them .
(I know there is not a lot of evidence of this, I think just something to do with ATT.. but you know what they say about smoke)
Plus I am sure now they figured this is something some ads will fix right up.

Companies and government are so in bed, its scary.
It actually pisses me off to hear about China requiring this and that information or this and that control.
Meanwhile here we do 'parallel constructions' and no one is the wiser.

I suppose the US is just a bit less upfront about it, and considering there is less things to crush, its easier for people not to notice and easier not to be up-front about it.
The real tests of whether we have tyranny from all this or not will come with mass protests, and 'real' unrest China, & Ukraine style.

Legally so much room in that statement. Most have the employees get the data then pass it to the feds. The other option is via the network switches itself if you have access to all the data in the stream...

If that does not work they only have to hack something...

I would laugh if the Feds come out and say, "We had access to apple servers for many years."

maybe apple servers are hosted in data centers owned by the nsa and then leased. technically, his statement could then be correct.

Back