Apple Facing First Profit Drop in Decade?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Analysts are wringing their hands ahead of Apple's earnings report later today. So, are we taking bets?

Apple’s shares have dropped almost 30 percent since September, erasing about $190 billion in market value, on concern that demand for iPhones and iPads is ebbing. Cook, 52, overhauled most of the company’s product line ahead of the holiday shopping season, and results for the period will show for the first time whether the effort paid off.

I don't think this is really a surprise.

Apple needs to re-invent itself after the loss of Steve Jobs. It is not the same company it was, and it never will be.

It needs to start investing it's billions in high-end design, and it also needs a new, charasmatic face for the company.

I still think Guy Kawasaki would be the man for the job.

Whoda thunk that apple would wind up selling their precious products as commodities!?
I mean, they're still very expensive and well made, compared to to competition, commodities, but still, when you sell that much of something, and everyone winds up having one or more of your products, the mystique goes away and the market gets saturated. That being said, I'd still buy my girlfriend an iPhone5 in a split second if it weren't $500-$700 unsubsidized.

I rather purchase an apple laptop than a HP/DELL laptop with a shit load of bloatware. I love windows, the problem is, Microsoft allowed the HPs of the world ruin their product with shit prebuilt computers and junk software.

Then don't buy a consumer model. The Dell business level systems I buy for work have very little bloatware, and are better built.

I doubt we'll being seeing anything too serious. Apple are still selling tons of iOS devices and sitting on a mountain of cash.

I do agree though that they need to do something bold. The hardware keeps getting better and the software more refined, but iOS does seem to be getting a little stale. Outside of high density screens, I can't remember the last thing Apple put out that truely wow'd me (like the first 2g iphone and iphone 4 did). Without Jobs there, I doubt we'll see too much more of that.

Lets hope they come up with some fresh ideas with iOS7. In the mean time, it sounds like a public untethered jailbreak for iOS6 is right around the corner.

Apple needs to re-invent itself after the loss of Steve Jobs.
There was no significant change after Steve Jobs' death, except it became harder for Apple to make new fanboys without a cult leader, which was how they could get away with all their crap.
It does not matter what products they get out; they managed to sell broken products to millions (first Macbook Air, iPhone 4 antenna, etc.) when SJ was alive.

i dont understand the hate for apple. True, they are not perfect. But honestly, I rather purchase an apple laptop than a HP/DELL laptop with a shit load of bloatware. I love windows, the problem is, Microsoft allowed the HPs of the world ruin their product with shit prebuilt computers and junk software.

I have several custom PCs at home, an ipad, iphone and a MBP retina. They all have there place

I think it's primarily whiny microsoft fanboys. Plenty of them here.

I think apple might surprise people when a ship first starts sinking you can throw alot of stuff overboard to keep it up, creative accounting to hide the problem.

I think apple might surprise people when a ship first starts sinking you can throw alot of stuff overboard to keep it up, creative accounting to hide the problem.

Yeah but burning through that money with "innovation" will soon take care of that. If Apple want to bounce back, they need to stop blowing money on ridiculous law suits (because being a patent troll, and trying to become the sole smart phone provider doesn't help your companies image), and make some truly massive upgrades and appearance changes, rather than just a bigger screen in the wrong direction, a new camera that picks up sun glare, or a voice activated pain in the arse.

i dont understand the hate for apple. True, they are not perfect. But honestly, I rather purchase an apple laptop than a HP/DELL laptop with a shit load of bloatware. I love windows, the problem is, Microsoft allowed the HPs of the world ruin their product with shit prebuilt computers and junk software.

I have several custom PCs at home, an ipad, iphone and a MBP retina. They all have there place

I am not sure how you could interpret that statement as "hate."

You can easily purchase a PC laptop without bloatware. In fact, HardOCP was the site that first pushed this with Dell years ago and got results. I know, I was there with Michael Dell when he pushed it live to their shopping cart.

Eh, Apple just had it's bubble burst, there was no reason for it to be the "richest country in the world" or whatever just because it had a hugely high stock price. Now we're coming back down to Earth as it's dropped what over $200/share over the past year.

So do a wipe and clean install of Windows. Takes maybe an hour to do so will drivers and Windows updates, etc.

I agree bloatware is a problem. That's why I always do a fresh install after purchasing a laptop. Format your new laptop and install Windows 7 fresh. Windows 7 install is completely automated for 95% of the installation process and only takes about 15 minutes total to complete. The portion you have to be sitting at the PC is around 1-2 minutes. You also reclaim a lot of your hard-drive space that way and your laptop runs faster (imo)

That's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Essentially youre rather paying $400-$500 more to avoid a 10 minute clean install.

And regardless the bloatware thing isn't what it once was, even on consumer PC's. I can appreciate buying a Mac for the build quality or exclusive platform software like Final cut etc, but just to avoid the preload crap of a consumer laptop is wastreful

So do a wipe and clean install of Windows. Takes maybe an hour to do so will drivers and Windows updates, etc.

how are people suppose to do this without a DVD?

i know with win 8 there is a clean install recovery option, if you have ever tried that, it takes hours!

i know with win 8 there is a clean install recovery option, if you have ever tried that, it takes hours!

There's a recovery partition on the hard drive of most laptops. Or, you could borrow a friend's Windows 7 DVD (or use one from another computer) and use the CD key provided on the computer.

Not exactly rocket science.

And I would refute the claims that Macs have a higher build quality, because I know a few people that have gone through a number of Macs and gave up on them for Windows PCs.

you guys should read guy Kawasaki's book, "The Macintosh Way"

he provided it free to download a few years ago and it should be easily findable

Still better than they were in the 80's and 90's

Yea a drop is a drop but the 80's and 90's where just awful for Apple. I hate to say it but if they can survive those decades , they can survive what's ahead.

Somethine else is wrong windows 8 clean instal or recovery were not more than 30 minutes for me, and that was on a really slow old 320 gb hard drive.

Yea a drop is a drop but the 80's and 90's where just awful for Apple. I hate to say it but if they can survive those decades , they can survive what's ahead.

What Drop? Record revenues again:

appleq113-total-rev-100022787-large.png

Kyle clearly stated that the CULT of Apple is Dead, not Apple themselves.

Means that the die-hard hipster consumer fan base for Apple is diminishing, and the market segment losses posted by Apple is proof of that. The iPhone and iPad market is still alive and well, just not at the level Apple has gotten used to seeing it at.

I wish they would use that warchest and actually get back to some "innovation" They have oodles of cash on hand and havent done much of anything. They can buy up a ton of companies like google is doing and "innovate" they have more capital then just about any other tech company in the world and are just sitting on it.

AAPL is also a hedge fund roach motel. Everybody and their brother is long this stock.

Apple is a momo stock. Earnings and revenues don't mean shit for momo stocks.

They disappointed on forward guidance. That's all that matters for a momo.

Apples stock price de jour is pretty much disconnected from the actual health of the company.

The stock market is half irrational and half manipulated by large hedge funds/investment houses.

Means that the die-hard hipster consumer fan base for Apple is diminishing

It's like the South Park Chinpokomon episode. "It's so intuitive even my grandmother can use it!" sounds interesting, until your grandmother actually starts using it and then you feel less inclined to use it anymore.

Back