Apple Event Reveals iPhone 12

Sure I get the whole "well if its there I'll take it" mentality but I never once swiped my iphone 6s and said "god damn that is slow and unresponsive"......but games, what are these games of which you speak? I thought they literally stopped making anything but time-waster types like half a decade ago, or am I just living under the wrong rocks.......

You're living under the wrong rocks. A higher refresh rate screen would be a huge boon to gaming on the iPhone. Apple Arcade is a haven for mobile games. No game on the service is allowed to have in-game purchases. Not to mention major mobile games like PUBG, Genshin Impact, Fort....COD Mobile. A ton of actual games could benefit from a faster screen.

On a more personal note: For as smooth as iPhones are, having gone from the 60hz iPhone 11 Pro to a 120hz Note 20 Ultra, the difference in smoothness is night and day. I noticed it immediately. For general use I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker feature, but it does feel like going from a 60hz monitor to a 120hz one. I don't need a 120+hz monitor to do my normal day-to-day tasks but going back to 60hz would feel like a huge loss in comparison.

Going from 60hz to 90hz on my Oneplus 7t is a night and day difference and I don't play games on the phone. Animations and screen transitions are a lot smoother and the extra battery drain isn't even noticeable. It just makes everything feel "glassy" smooth.

You're living under the wrong rocks. A higher refresh rate screen would be a huge boon to gaming on the iPhone. Apple Arcade is a haven for mobile games. No game on the service is allowed to have in-game purchases. Not to mention major mobile games like PUBG, Genshin Impact, Fort....COD Mobile. A ton of actual games could benefit from a faster screen.

On a more personal note: For as smooth as iPhones are, having gone from the 60hz iPhone 11 Pro to a 120hz Note 20 Ultra, the difference in smoothness is night and day. I noticed it immediately. For general use I wouldn't say it's a deal-breaker feature, but it does feel like going from a 60hz monitor to a 120hz one. I don't need a 120+hz monitor to do my normal day-to-day tasks but going back to 60hz would feel like a huge loss in comparison.

And to add to this, running 144hz monitors does make a real difference even in day to day tasks. If Apple has not added a high refresh rate screen yet then these phones are not worth the money.

League of Legends it's HUGE.. and not in Asia, it is globally.. as one of the biggest exponents of E-Sports games.. it's not my kind of games even if I tested several years ago... but ti say no one play it in america? far from that..

https://playercounter.com/league-of-legends/

While League is still huge and will continue to be massive, League is primarily played by teenagers; probably not the core audience here. lol.

The phone looks nice but not enough of an upgrade for me to spend that kind of money right now.

Fair enough, having not experienced the 120hz jump and impact I was, as stated, under the wrong rocks. Personally, I don't give a rats ass about phones, I'd use a flip phone if I could, my next phone will be small and will be used as a phone, GPS and text messenger and literally nothing else, I'm approaching Jitterbug class phones now.......but if you're gonna do a mobile game yeah, I get it, you want the best you can get and why not....
I just never played a mobile game that held my interest for more than half a day however..and we're talking like that modern clone of Atari's old STUNT CYCLE game and some isometric driving games, not exactly the stuff you need to bring the RTX cores to the table for.......

While I would love to upgrade my 8+ to get a better camera, next year they’ll probably release their version of a foldable and I’ll wait for that. Also the thought of the notch and no finger print scanner annoys me.

While I would love to upgrade my 8+ to get a better camera, next year they’ll probably release their version of a foldable and I’ll wait for that. Also the thought of the notch and no finger print scanner annoys me.

I really do not understand the foldable smartphone craze. The screens are plastic garbage that scratch from just a fingernail. LG dual-screen approach seems much smarter and better long-term than folding plastic screens.

I see absolutely no reason to upgrade from my 11 Pro Max to the 12.

I threw away my Iphone 9 after finding out about the suicide nets and use of muslim and Christian slaves in CCP concentration camps by Apple. Apple is evil,they all are really,but Apple aspires to be leaps and bounds more then the rest.

Of course to each their own. I'm just glad there's an option that doesn't require me to carry a man purse or heave my phone with two hands.

It's funny though that the mini is now considered "small".
It's certainly true that our expectations have changed a lot. I remember thinking the 3.5-inch screen on my iPhone 3G was expansive. Now, the entire surface area of that phone fits easily in the screen area of my iPhone XS. Chalk it up to phones being used more as all-encompassing devices rather than call and message machines.

It's certainly true that our expectations have changed a lot. I remember thinking the 3.5-inch screen on my iPhone 3G was expansive. Now, the entire surface area of that phone fits easily in the screen area of my iPhone XS. Chalk it up to phones being used more as all-encompassing devices rather than call and message machines.

Very much this. I remember when the Droid X came out, people were talking about how the screen is too big and hard to hold. That was only a 4.3" screen, but it felt huge at the time. Now even "mini" smartphones are much bigger than that. Heck, the iPhone 12 Mini is larger than the first Galaxy Note.

I threw away my Iphone 9 after finding out about the suicide nets and use of muslim and Christian slaves in CCP concentration camps by Apple. Apple is evil,they all are really,but Apple aspires to be leaps and bounds more then the rest.

I believe those nets were actually for plants making Xboxes, not Apple products. And remember, Apple isn't the one running the plants, Foxconn (and other contractors) is. Apple can and does institute checks, but it can only catch so much. That and I'm perpetually baffled by people who boycott Apple for allegedly tolerating harsh working conditions, only to flee to an Android phone made in the same conditions, a Windows laptop made in the same conditions, a console made in the same conditions... and some of those companies don't try nearly as hard as Apple to remain accountable.

As I like to put it: if Samsung users knew the full extent of what their company is and has been doing, they'd immediately destroy every Samsung product they own and demand a ban on the company's products. It makes Apple look saintly; not only have there been labor violations (including in Samsung's home country), it has corrupted South Korean politics more than once.

Fair enough, having not experienced the 120hz jump and impact I was, as stated, under the wrong rocks. Personally, I don't give a rats ass about phones, I'd use a flip phone if I could, my next phone will be small and will be used as a phone, GPS and text messenger and literally nothing else, I'm approaching Jitterbug class phones now.......but if you're gonna do a mobile game yeah, I get it, you want the best you can get and why not....
I just never played a mobile game that held my interest for more than half a day however..and we're talking like that modern clone of Atari's old STUNT CYCLE game and some isometric driving games, not exactly the stuff you need to bring the RTX cores to the table for.......
Honestly, it is different strokes for different folks but I also spend less time on my phone than most. I had the Razor Phone 2 and for me, the novelty of the high refresh rate wore off in about 2 days but how scrolling looks on my phone is the least of my concerns. That was one thing that I never thought about because I never liked mobile gaming, which is (IMO) the only place where it REALLY makes sense. Again, different strokes for different folks. I don't use my phone as be all, end all device. I answer calls, text, Slack, work email and a RSS reader. *shrugs*

While League is still huge and will continue to be massive, League is primarily played by teenagers; probably not the core audience here. lol.

The phone looks nice but not enough of an upgrade for me to spend that kind of money right now.
Wrong, the demographic for League of Legends is mostly millennials. 22-38+
Yeah it sucks getting old. I'm in that age group.

Before covid, went to all of the world finals.
Biggest party events ever, better than Blizzards

Still climbing in plat.

(y)

I like how Apple gives all the 5G bands rather than being limited to the higher or lower frequency bands. Makes it a lot easier to switch carriers. The only thing I'm worried about is battery life, that will probably take a hit compared to the 11 Pro/Max.

I really do not understand the foldable smartphone craze. The screens are plastic garbage that scratch from just a fingernail. LG dual-screen approach seems much smarter and better long-term than folding plastic screens.
Scratched by a fingernail is an immediate and huge deal-breaker.

I deal with fiberglass insulation that will strip the rust off of a knife. My 8+ is still holding strong after 3 years with only a few minor scratches that are actually around the bezel.

I was semi looking forward to the iPhone 12 just because I’ve had this one 3 years but the upgrades are incremental enough, I’ll just wait for the 13. Hopefully they can bring back touchID as well (and honestly I love the scanner in the back of the phone Pixel style) and high refresh wouldn’t go amiss either. Ah well, more money to throw at other shit I don’t need I suppose. 85” here I come I don’t need that wall.

On the topic of new phones, I realized my potential upgrade is fueled largely by the desire for a better camera

On the topic of new phones, I realized my potential upgrade is fueled largely by the desire for a better camera
Thats pretty much the reason I upgrade, that and battery life. My family loves to share pictures and videos of things every day and I really enjoy viewing them so whenever there is a big enough upgrade to the cameras I will upgrade my whole family.

Regardless of whether or not you believe 120hz is worth it or not, or that mobile games suck - 120hz is still a marked jump in smoothness and responsiveness of a display.

Everything else on the iPhone are incremental improvements at this point and does not justify an upgrade for some of us. I'll be taking a pass on the iPhone 12 myself.

Yes and consumers never take into account that these “features” come at a cost. Im not sacrificing 20-30% of my battery life just so my screen feels smoother...

Apple will implement high refresh rate displays when they have it perfected like they did with the Apple Watch and the 1hz screen refresh.

Finally time to put my iPhone 7 out to pasture and pick up a 12 mini. Hopefully this is a return to proper sized phones and the end of the phablet craze.
I like the mini as well. Although the trend has been moving towards bigger phones, I think the mini will sell well

Yes and consumers never take into account that these “features” come at a cost. Im not sacrificing 20-30% of my battery life just so my screen feels smoother...

Apple will implement high refresh rate displays when they have it perfected like they did with the Apple Watch and the 1hz screen refresh.

I mean, they could just make the phone like 1% bigger and put a much bigger battery in the thing. Problem solved.

Honestly, it is different strokes for different folks but I also spend less time on my phone than most. I had the Razor Phone 2 and for me, the novelty of the high refresh rate wore off in about 2 days but how scrolling looks on my phone is the least of my concerns. That was one thing that I never thought about because I never liked mobile gaming, which is (IMO) the only place where it REALLY makes sense. Again, different strokes for different folks. I don't use my phone as be all, end all device. I answer calls, text, Slack, work email and a RSS reader. *shrugs*
Yep.

I mean, they could just make the phone like 1% bigger and put a much bigger battery in the thing. Problem solved.
You would have been thrown out of the engineering meeting and taken out back and shot having made that suggestion at apple lol

I believe those nets were actually for plants making Xboxes, not Apple products. And remember, Apple isn't the one running the plants, Foxconn (and other contractors) is. Apple can and does institute checks, but it can only catch so much. That and I'm perpetually baffled by people who boycott Apple for allegedly tolerating harsh working conditions, only to flee to an Android phone made in the same conditions, a Windows laptop made in the same conditions, a console made in the same conditions... and some of those companies don't try nearly as hard as Apple to remain accountable.

As I like to put it: if Samsung users knew the full extent of what their company is and has been doing, they'd immediately destroy every Samsung product they own and demand a ban on the company's products. It makes Apple look saintly; not only have there been labor violations (including in Samsung's home country), it has corrupted South Korean politics more than once.

They are all evil,but the ones that really go out of their way to do such things,I avoid with prejudice.I dont own a console,or android phone,I use Voip at home only. The Samsung SSD was a gift,and I appreciate your relaying of Samsung being bad as well,I will look into it further as the return window on my 870 ends on Nov 2nd for it.

I like the mini as well. Although the trend has been moving towards bigger phones, I think the mini will sell well
The Mini is the only reason i have any interest in the iphone 12.
I'm using the iPHONE SE 2016 now.
I was going to get the iPhone SE 2020 model, but this looks to be even slightly smaller

$3000 surface books without Thunderbolt 3, for one
As somebody currently in the process or refreshing our Surface Pro lineup I kind of have to agree... I would be quite happy if they would just ditch the DPMini and proprietary charging/docking interface for a solid pair of USB C/Thunderbolt connectors.

Then all those labourers died for nothing. You should have kept it and honoured their memory.

I personally would prefer a high quality 60 over a cheaper 144, the screen is small enough and my eyes garbage enough that I doubt I could notice a tangible difference in the refresh rate for 99% of my uses.

The camera is literally my only reason to upgrade. Otherwise the 12 is no better than my current 7 for the things I do.

So you some how can’t notice the difference between Oled and ips lcd? We stare at the screen every time we use the phone. Top notch screens are my benchmark, and the camera always follows.

I have had oled since the x came out, and every flagship since. I can’t bear to even look at the cheaper screens or older ones that were not oled. No comparison at all in color quality. I’d upgrade for that reason alone.

But battery life to me is also very important. Sounds like the battery life will actually be reduced with the 12 pro max. So I’ll be waiting for next year.

So you some how can’t notice the difference between Oled and ips lcd? We stare at the screen every time we use the phone. Top notch screens are my benchmark, and the camera always follows.

I have had oled since the x came out, and every flagship since. I can’t bear to even look at the cheaper screens or older ones that were not oled. No comparison at all in color quality. I’d upgrade for that reason alone.

But battery life to me is also very important. Sounds like the battery life will actually be reduced with the 12 pro max. So I’ll be waiting for next year.
Yeah, I'd take a high-quality screen over the other features hands down, 5G won't be coming to my area any time soon so not an issue on this end yet, Camera's are good and all but not something I use for picture taking outside documenting things, but battery life is a key point if it can't go 12h of moderate usage than it's not going to serve me well enough. The 11's I'm currently bringing in are more than sufficient for us but I can already see my boss requesting a 12, I've already reached out to my supplier for a quote in anticipation.

I would notice for sure but I only use my phone for safari, whatsapp and pics. Don’t play games or watch much video.

I would notice for sure but I only use my phone for safari, whatsapp and pics. Don’t play games or watch much video.
I surprisingly have not found it to be as compelling a feature as it is in my living room. I flip between OLED iPhones and iPad Pros that lack it all the time and don't perceive a huge hit to visual fidelity. I've been wondering why this is, given how stunning an improvement it is in the living room. I *think* it's because my use case with phones frankly does not include a lot of dark motion content e.g. the content that makes OLED sing. Browsers, emails, apps.... tend to be static, contrasty content. Mobile gaming tends to be high brightness and color saturation. And tiny screen + speakers make a smartphone the last place I want to watch a suspenseful horror move where the killer stalks his/her victims in near darkness. I'm paying more for OLED because "it's better and I can afford it" and not so much because it feels like a fundamental enabler.

These days I value peak brightness more than any other smartphone display attribute. Higher refresh rate would be a secondary desire although it too feels more impactful on a larger screen. Again, for me going from an iPad Pro to a 60Hz iPhone doesn't elicit any sort of usability shock.

To be honest at this point smartphones tend to have almost everything I'd possibly want in them. I've LOVE to have real distance telephoto e.g. 8x, 12x... but physics surely gets in the way. Cameras aside I feel we started to approach a point of diminishing returns 3-4 years ago, and with computational photography perhaps we're approaching that point now for photography / videography as well.

Last edited:
I’m feeling weird, my phone is over 2 years old, my wife still uses an iPhone 6. I use an iPhone because I can’t be bothered with Android any more but don’t really care as long as I have signal, slack and my auth apps

Despite being apathetic as fuck, I am really wanting the blue 12 Pro. Stupid price, does nothing I need but I love the color and it’s so pretty (I miss my 4 and 5, literally bought a battery the other day to resuscitate my 5)

if the had the mini in that color, I’d be all over it.

I have a 6S. Wife has a 6. Do we need upgrades...not really. My 6S though sucks battery like no ones business, happened with iOS 13+. Wife's 6 on iOS 12 still lasts a long time. It works for her purpose, so she does not want anything new.
But now 11 year old needs a phone, his first, so no way he gets a newer expensive phone for a year so he can prove responsibility by not losing it, and hopefully not breaking it.
So he gets my 6S and I get the 12Pro tomorrow ;)
I hate losing fingerprint sensor, will see how FaceID works out. Main thing i am looking forward to is camera improvements.

I have a 6S. Wife has a 6. Do we need upgrades...not really. My 6S though sucks battery like no ones business, happened with iOS 13+. Wife's 6 on iOS 12 still lasts a long time. It works for her purpose, so she does not want anything new.
But now 11 year old needs a phone, his first, so no way he gets a newer expensive phone for a year so he can prove responsibility by not losing it, and hopefully not breaking it.
So he gets my 6S and I get the 12Pro tomorrow ;)
I hate losing fingerprint sensor, will see how FaceID works out. Main thing i am looking forward to is camera improvements.
The whole phone will be a night and day difference. I moved from a 6S+ to a XR around a year and a half ago. I almost went with a XS Max, but opted to save the money. Even without the extra camera or larger size or OLED screen, still a massive change. It's going to be a lot all at once (in a good way). Even though the 6S+ was fast, your new phone will feel a lot faster. It's all the little things that add up to a big impression.

If your wife is really into TouchID, I'd recommend trying to buy an iPhone 8 used while they're still plentiful in decent condition. It will be a phone that mostly feels the same, but will last for a few more gens from a processor standpoint - it'll also feel smoother. You can probably buy one at this point for $200 +/-. The main reason to do so, would just to continue getting iOS updates. The 6 is just at the point of dropping off - and from a processor perspective, it is many generations old.

Last edited:
The whole phone will be a night and day difference. I moved from a 6S+ to a XR around a year and a half ago. I almost went with a XS Max, but opted to save the money. Even without the extra camera or larger size or OLED screen, still a massive change. It's going to be a lot all at once (in a good way). Even though the 6S+ was fast, your new phone will feel a lot faster. It's all the little things that add up to a big impression.

If your wife is really into TouchID, I'd recommend trying to buy an iPhone 8 used while they're still plentiful in decent condition. It will be a phone that mostly feels the same, but will last for a few more gens from a processor standpoint - it'll also feel smoother. You can probably buy one at this point for $200 +/-. The main reason to do so, would just to continue getting iOS updates. The 6 is just at the point of dropping off - and from a processor perspective, it is many generations old.

I bet, I have a iPhone 7 for work and can already tell the difference to the 6S (a few games feels much smoother). 12 Pro I am sure will be whole other level.
I am into the touchID for Apple Pay or quick iTunes approvals. She doesnt use voice or touch ID really. Tik Tok, Jeopardy and Whatsapp with friends mostly for her.
When I was looking at the lineup, she was like, oh, the SE2020 will be just fine price wise, when she is ready to upgrade. 11 internals in an 8 body. I do understand for the iOS updates, security etc, so she may upgrade in next 6 months. I will look for any good deals on the 8 though.
Kid too likes the iPhone 7 actually. I am sure he will be envious of the 12Pro once he sees it, but he too will likely go for for an SE when he upgrades from the 6S next year. Will see if that preference changes by then lol.

Back