Apple Event Liveblog

I have to say I'm sold on that watch so far and I don't even want it.

I am actually concerned about the fact that Apple is now able to do monitoring on your vitals through the watch and the phone. That whole ecosystem would have unparalleled integration of personal information, including your sleep cycle and perhaps blood pressure by-the-minute in very near future.

No, no it can't. Here is the reason: Carriers want their own mobile payment system, they've been working on it for a while, they can block everyone but they can't block apple because of the apple fanbase. The merchants that handle credit card transactions (not visa, not american express but the middle men) all want their own system. Your thinking someone like square can come along and make an app mobile payment system etc. but they still have to get around the carriers AND the biggest piece: The businesses have to support the system. That last piece if where most people fail. Most companies dont give a shit what some app guy made. I'm wondering if apple will include bitcoins because that would be even more ridiculous. Having mcdonalds and wholefoods target etc. line up will be fucking huge. You will have all these fucking soccer moms and urbanites who still eat at mcdonalds using it and that will just cause it to spread. You really think some apple fanboi wont visit one placeover another because it doesn't have ipay or whatevethefuck its called? Hipsters will go fucking ape shit this will really work
The key word is fanbase. Once the system is known and understood there will be a base of people looking for it. Now there''s an identified way to make money at it. If a google or other sizable institution gets behind it, they will be able to deal with the player to make them agree. Google is on the spot to respond. As for an app, unlikely, I assume a hardware module will be required to prevent remote duplication. But hte module could easily exist seperate from a phone. Allowing people to share it without sharing the phone.

Apple Watch requires iPhone, because it's been designed to work together, like Handoff on iOS 8. It works with iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, but it'll work with the 5s, 5c and 5.

Pricing starts at $349 and available in early 2015.

zsh0386.jpg

Anyone else find it odd they've mentioned that "you can send someone your heartbeat!" thing, like, three times, now?

WTF? Why would you ever want to do that??

Because they full plan for you to report your biometrics through Apple to other people.

And confirmed Apple Pay will work with Apple Watch with integrated NFC.

liveblog0863.jpg

liveblog0860.jpg

And there we go. iWatch can do NFC. This thing is their new money maker,

$350 for a watch, never mind!

Wwwwwow, yeah, that's a LOT more than I was expecting. Was thinking more like $200 or so for the "starting" model. But starting at $350!?! (I assume that means that's the ladies/'smaller' watch with the aluminum frame and plastic strap? Geeeeez the fancier models are going to cost a fortune...)

And there we go. iWatch can do NFC. This thing is their new money maker,

Looks like they are showing the iPhone 6 can do NFC, too.

If so, who cares about a watch that can do it? The new iPhone doing it, on its own, will be what brings NFC to the mainstream.

Time to stop calling Casio's and Seiko's good watches?

While I hate the apple watch I don't remember the last time I spent less than $400 on a good watch.

The only reason I would buy it is for simplified NFC and workout assistant. I don't give a damn about the time function, so the $350 is a bit steep for me.

If not, then they would have strongly lean the side of confidentiality in the presentation. They did not. They preach on accessibility instead.

they stated in the presentation they aren't in the business of collecting/sharing that information.

There's two types of watch people -- the $20 Wal-Mart folks, and the multi-hundred/thousand dollar Rolex/Seiko/Tag Heuer/etc. folks. This isn't pandering to the Wal-Mart types.

A good watch is any watch that is affordable, works, and doesn't call attention to itself. The people who spend hundreds on those gaudy ass silver/gold watches are idiots.

Presentation ended with Bono performance, with no mentioning of battery life on the Watch...which is disappointing. Hopefully it's more than a day...

If the battery life was good, they would have mentioned it.

Time to stop calling Casio's and Seiko's good watches?

While I hate the apple watch I don't remember the last time I spent less than $400 on a good watch.

Yeah, but this isn't the "good" one. That's $350 for the cheap one. Plastic + aluminum.

Love all the Apple Hate. I come to this forum for the comic relief. I am saddened that Apple is becoming more mainstream and the haters are dwindling in number.

My thoughts are that smart watches are pretty useless. I wear a wrist watch and it tells the time and I think that's enough.

I hate big phones. I might just stick with the iPhone five for a couple more years.

Looks like they are showing the iPhone 6 can do NFC, too.

If so, who cares about a watch that can do it? The new iPhone doing it, on its own, will be what brings NFC to the mainstream.

Yes, but let's face it. Apple is doing a 'me too' over the NFC. They finally have caught up to the Android world when it comes to this. The NFC on a watch is not a killer feature as you've said dderidex... it's almost a "nice to have" or "expected" kind of a thing.

This is why I don' think that iPhone is the big story at all.

Instead of just throwing NFC into the phone early, and decreasing margin, Apple more than likely left it out while they worked on payment partners. Why spend money on a technology whose application isn't established? The one thing Apple is good at is knowing how to maximize profits...

There's two types of watch people -- the $20 Wal-Mart folks, and the multi-hundred/thousand dollar Rolex/Seiko/Tag Heuer/etc. folks. This isn't pandering to the Wal-Mart types.

Will it be sold in Wal-Mart stores? (serious question)

Bwhahahaha. Consumerist suckers.

Says a person that more than likely has a HUGE fucking Android phone because "I NEED to be able to customize EVERY detail and I NEED a huge screen because they're making them, so I MUST have it."

The only reason I would buy it is for simplified NFC and workout assistant. I don't give a damn about the time function, so the $350 is a bit steep for me.

Well if that is all you want...There is an App for that. :D

Megalith said:
A good watch is any watch that is affordable, works, and doesn't call attention to itself. The people who spend hundreds on those gaudy ass silver/gold watches are idiots.

A good watch is one that is built to last a lifetime. Just because it costs money doesn't mean it has to be gaudy. I have nothing but Stainless steel watches with no gold on them because I don't particularly care for it. All my watches ranged in prices from $500-$1500 because of the craftsmanship and what is inside. They are all also 10+ years old and still look brand new. Things like casio, seiko and citizen aren't good watches, those are disposable watches that if you get 3 years out of them you got lucky. On that note people claim that watches are dying off, well that is partially true, partially not. Cheap watches worn to look like expensive ones are dying off and those that bought them. However a good heirloom quality watch will never go out of style and those that buy those watches know exactly why they keep buying them.

Will it be sold in Wal-Mart stores? (serious question)

Probably down the road, I imagine it will be an online or Apple Store only type 'exclusive' to artificially drive more people to the stores and naturally drive up hype.

Well if that is all you want...There is an App for that. :D

A good watch is one that is built to last a lifetime. Just because it costs money doesn't mean it has to be gaudy. I have nothing but Stainless steel watches with no gold on them because I don't particularly care for it. All my watches ranged in prices from $500-$1500 because of the craftsmanship and what is inside. They are all also 10+ years old and still look brand new. Things like casio, seiko and citizen aren't good watches, those are disposable watches that if you get 3 years out of them you got lucky. On that note people claim that watches are dying off, well that is partially true, partially not. Cheap watches worn to look like expensive ones are dying off and those that bought them. However a good heirloom quality watch will never go out of style and those that buy those watches know exactly why they keep buying them.

I agree with you on this. A good watch is supposed to work in any condition. I am still using my Gramp's 50 years old Omega windup watch. It's a memento, not fancy, and it just works and will keep on troopin' just by winding it up.

All of these products are excellent news. For Galaxy S5 buyers. I now feel very good about having my S5.

Apple needs a lesson on curvature. It needs to curve with your wrist and not against it. Looks uncomfortable.

zsh0259.jpg

Bodies of watches I wear don't curve with my wrist and feel fine.

I'm excited about the new payment system. iTunes Store has a ridiculous amount of credit card info and it's a good place to start the NCR movement along with chipped cards coming soon. Makes perfect sense to be on the vangard of this change.

Likewise. With every passing week, you keep hearing about more and more data breaches at retailers with hackers gathering personal information and CC numbers of customers.

I'd certainly feel much safer with this type of payment system. I know that 'some' banks used to offer this type of service where they'd generate you a one time use card number for online transactions, but this seems like a more elegant solution since it really doesn't require any interaction from the user besides adding the card (and using your thumb print to approve it).

IMHO, as someone that uses their CC and debit card quite often, this is the killer feature of the new iPhone if they can get retailers onboard.

Likewise. With every passing week, you keep hearing about more and more data breaches at retailers with hackers gathering personal information and CC numbers of customers.

I'd certainly feel much safer with this type of payment system. I know that 'some' banks used to offer this type of service where they'd generate you a one time use card number for online transactions, but this seems like a more elegant solution since it really doesn't require any interaction from the user besides adding the card (and using your thumb print to approve it).

IMHO, as someone that uses their CC and debit card quite often, this is the killer feature of the new iPhone if they can get retailers onboard.

I think they can. Universal adoption of NFC is a good thing in a way.

Back