Apple Drastically Cut Its iPhone Orders For Next Quarter

Perhaps they are realizing they need to innovate? Except for the original iphone, it's been the same ole same ole all the way to iphone 5 with incremental evolutionary upgrades that everyone else already has. People are starting to notice. There isn't a need to upgrade to the iphone 5 if you have a 4 or 4s. Their upgrade platform has worked, up till now, but I think it is time for them to change things up, it apparently isn't working as well as it was. Adnroid phones are simply surpassing them in features and specifications. The only thing that can't be beat is the app store, but Android is coming closer.

I had the original Motorola Droid and loved it. However, Verizon was taking my unlimited plan away if I did not re-commit to two years and the iPhone 4 was the only phone at the time that had better battery life than my Droid. (The dual core/4g phones had terrible battery life.) Great phone but I didn't understand why I needed to upgrade to the 4S for features my Droid already had (voice, notifications, turn by turn directions, etc..)

I've been upgraded to a 4S (Best Buy extended service) and I see no reason to upgrade to the 5. However, I do believe the fragmentation problem with Android is worse than Apple's iPhone faults.

When they were repairing my iPhone 4 they lent me a Triumph which was absolute garbage. Because it took so long and they had to send out my phone again they upgraded my loaner to a Motorola Droid X2. My fucking Droid had better performance than that crap that took forever to just play a flash video. It couldn't go 3 hours without needing a charge.

When Best Buy lost my iPhone 4 they sent out an order for an iPhone 4S. I took my Droid and told them to activate it and gave back the X2. (I keep the phone around for development.) My original droid was not only smoother (than the loaners), but it now had Voice commands. My co-workers were shocked my old antic was smooth and did stuff iOS6 was just getting not to mention voice to text messaging, searching etc..

Yea, I believe the mistake with Android was letting Carriers/Phone manufacturers fuck with the OS. Why the flying fuck would you let someone with a terrible history with phone OS's fuck with Android?

You need a history lesson, look up the pixel density and total resolution of the touch pro and touch pro2, I am sure they were not alone I only know of them because I or a family member owned them. You are specifically stating my point, the Galaxy S released long after the touch pro 2 and only had the same resolution, but you have to give the galaxy S a little pass because they were actually innovating by bringing the earliest OLEDs to market surely OLED tech was not to the point yet of high resolution high production, and they could hinge on the contrast ratio, but LCDs were perfectly capable of high resolution. Yet apple didnt give a shit. Everyone saw this and noticed that apple was pushing millions of units and said, why bother? Apple taught companies how to sell less as more, and everyone wanted a piece of that pie. It came to a point where a couple years there there was not one single new phone with a stylus, keyboard, or high res display on some carriers thanks to apple.

I repeat apple buys hardware they cannot innovate it, the reason pixel density became an issue has way less to do with apple and way more to do with samsung. See now that LG and other high end LCD makers see OLED coming and knocking on their door they started to be forced to compete harder and they needed a reason to justify LCD tech. So one of the first moves they did was try to bring IPS down in price, second increase DPI. Now they just have to sell it. Obviously apple being one of the richest will be willing to pay the highest price for the newest displays, so they lock in the exclusive contracts as long as they contract is not with someone who directly competes / wants to kill apple like samsung.

I had a touch pro, in the form the the HTC Fuze. Was not a great phone... Don't need a history lesson. The HTC Fuze didnt do much for the smartphone market. Also the tp came out after the iPhone. Also the TP did have a higher res, but not much higher, and the screen was not at all great. The TP2 did bring some really high res screen that was decent, I will give you that. Apple didn't give a shit, and no one else even cared to give a shit until after Apple proved that the consumers wanted smartphones. This TP had higher resolution than apple shit is starting to get old. Its like saying OMG the Droid DNA has higher res screen than the iPhone 5 and was released after. If you want to get into it the HTC TOUCH which came out the same year and almost same time as the iPhone HAD A WORSE SCREEN. (PSA: I actually owned the Touch) So your argument is kinda weak. Sure Apple kept res low for 3 years, but before that res wasnt even that high, and didnt increase very much until Apple started the "retina" campaign and everyone wanted high-res.

You seem to completely lose context of the discussion. And are beginning to show your blatant bias since you just want to argue thing that seem to be irrelevant or not about the point. For instance you seem to dismiss or even refute the evidence saying well the touch pro was not a good phone, but this was not about the phone as a whole it was about specifically resolution. This is nothing like pointing out the DNA has higher resolution, this is the opposite its pointing out that an older phone had higher resolution than a newer phone. Which points out that apple was holding everyone back not moving them forward. We arent talking about the original iphone we are talking about the iphone 3gs. Which releases a full year later than the touch pro.

Also I love the way you point out that the resolution was not "much" higher. There were 200% more pixels on the touch pro than there were on any iPhone till the iPhone 4. That means it takes apple 2 years to release a display that is higher resolution. But there must be something to your argument right? Because I mean the retina display was "That much higher resolution" Yet the retina is only 160% higher resolution than the Galaxy S or touch pro 2 (which releases more than a year before the iphone 4).

And as for your argument that resolution was low before that ; besides the fact I just showed you have no clue what you are talking about you should also consider the facts of diminishing returns. If you have a phone that has a very low resolution say 200x200 and you over double the resolution to 300x300, the actual usability and visual increase in quality is far more noticeable than the second doubling to 400x400. Diminishing returns, get it? So the actual facts are quite the opposite of what you say.

I have not liked Apple since 1979. I have a deep respect for Wozniak, but I have despised Jobs ever since he set the price on the first apple computer. I could give a shit about what they sell in this century.

It doesnt make any sense to buy a phone outright, unless you are on a prepaid carrier. WIth the exception of Tmobile no one will give you a break on the plan, so you are paying for the subsidy anyway why not get $400 off a phone?

Simply put, buy a phone out right and flush 10-20$ per month down the toilet.

As you said, on a contract. The prepaid services of today are nothing like Tracfone of old. I save just over $130.00 a month using Straight talk over ATT on two phones. $1660 a year buys a couple of nice international version phones a year and still leaves cash in my pocket.

(both phones on att had unlimited talk minutes, unimited text, 2gb data.)

They are either expecting sales to drop off for the iphone5, or they are making room for the 5s, or both. I would not read too much into it either way.

It doesnt make any sense to buy a phone outright, unless you are on a prepaid carrier. WIth the exception of Tmobile no one will give you a break on the plan, so you are paying for the subsidy anyway why not get $400 off a phone?

Simply put, buy a phone out right and flush 10-20$ per month down the toilet.

OR, you have an unlimited plan you wish to keep. :)

You know what I want to see truly innovated in future phones? Call quality, and response time. Sure, cell phones today are better than ever in this area, but they still can't match the quality and response of land line phones. A true innovation would be making the phone part of the phone, perfect, give us the same quality as land line, and reduce or eliminate the delay in talking to someone on a cell phone. With a land line it's instant, no delay that we can detect, but on a cell phone, there is a delay in communication, and we've all been annoyed by this. Let's get the phone part of phone's working perfectly IMO.

Call quality has more to do with carrier network capacity than the phones themselves.

HD voice is already available in other countries, with much better voice quality.
Since the US network is inadequate and overloaded, they compress your calls to crap low bitrates.

So no matter how much you can hate the iPhone , it spurred competition which gave us all more choices overall and that should be remembered.
Its impact on the industry is so significant that they're making a movie about it. Well, one-third of a movie about it, anyway. And it's kind of more about the man behind the phone than it is about the phone, but still, it's 1/3rd of a movie basically about a specific phone.

I have not liked Apple since 1979. I have a deep respect for Wozniak, but I have despised Jobs ever since he set the price on the first apple computer. I could give a shit about what they sell in this century.
You give enough of a shit to post about it, though.

Back