Apple Customers Report Crashing After iOS 9 Update

HardOCP News

[H] News
If your iDevice crashed after updating to iOS 9, don't feel bad, you are not alone.

Another iPhone user, Zorry Coates, said she had spent three hours in the Apple store and had been left with the option of either returning her phone to factory settings - losing any non-backed-up data - or waiting until Apple technicians announced an update.

Never understood why people would do large updates on ANYTHING, without backing up first.

All the reports from testers are that everyone should skip 9.0 and go with the 9.1 public beta if you want 9.x.

I get so sick of hearing about this on either side of the fanboy aisle.

It's pretty fucking stupid to not backup everything, it's pretty fucking stupid to not expect problems on a major release like this, it's pretty fucking stupid if you don't expect servers to be overloaded on major releases.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's pretty fucking stupid to bitch when these problems are to be expected EVERY TIME.

It didn't crash on download or update and is working.
I didn't back up either, but there isn't anything on the phone that I'd miss if I had to factory restore.

One thing that has changed is if you swipe down on the home screen it comes up with search instead of the last people you called across the top of the screen.
Not sure why they did that since if you swipe right on the home screen and it brings up search as well.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's pretty fucking stupid to bitch when these problems are to be expected EVERY TIME.

Pretty much this. It's generally clickbait because it's easy to generate "anger" over this kind of stuff particularly because of the "It just works' mantra of Apple products that's also clickbait generated by the same media.

The update was already downloaded on my phone before I even knew it was released. I gave it the go ahead, and 15 minutes later it was done. So far it's working fine, and the news app they added is pretty cool.

I've updated about 10 devices, 2 of them personal. No issues at all.

Reuters is really good at finding outliers to support their points of view. They do it in their political reporting all the time.

The update was already downloaded on my phone before I even knew it was released. I gave it the go ahead, and 15 minutes later it was done. So far it's working fine, and the news app they added is pretty cool.

Same here. iPhone and iPad are fine.

Apple fanboys that criticize Android and Microsoft need to suck it!!!

Why do i always see android users talking shit about apple fanboys when no one really says anything that would lead me to believe in fanboyism. If anything android fanboys are worse because no matter what article there is always someone saying how much better android is. Even in the the real world i have encountered so many droid users give me shit for having a iphone and calling me a fanboy when my phone is the only apple product i own and i actually dont even like other apple products.

iOS tries to backup almost all of the useful contents to iCloud by default. People need to go out of their way to disable this. When the phone is backed up, it really doesn't matter what happens to it, you can get everything back from iCloud. iCloud even reinstalls all your apps automatically, in the exact same position they were in before the reset... Anyone who "can't live" without their phone should have a backup, this shit is ridiculous.

If you hang around in an Apple store for a while, or any cell carrier store, people bring in problem devices all day long every day. Doesn't matter if there hasn't been an OS update in 6 months, people will bring in phones with problems and blame it on something that happened recently.

Never understood why people would do large updates on ANYTHING, without backing up first.

When I updated and did a factory wipe on my wife's iPhone 6 to the update before 9, I did a full backup via iTunes.

When we went to restore it, it failed and said that the drive was full.

Come to find out that every time you run a restore vie iTunes, it makes another complete copy of the backup before restoring.

So I found instructions on how to move the iTunes backups to a different drive and did that.

Then when I went to restore it, iTunes decided to delete all but 3GB of data from the 30GB backup.

I had to use Recuva to get all the files back.

Then when I tried the restore it said it was corrupted.

I ended up having to buy a program for $30 that fixes corrupted iTunes backups.

After that, I was able to restore successfully.

So much for "it just works".

iTunes is a complete joke and a piece of trash software. It has been for years and apparently has not gotten any better.

iOS tries to backup almost all of the useful contents to iCloud by default. People need to go out of their way to disable this. When the phone is backed up, it really doesn't matter what happens to it, you can get everything back from iCloud. iCloud even reinstalls all your apps automatically, in the exact same position they were in before the reset... Anyone who "can't live" without their phone should have a backup, this shit is ridiculous.

If you hang around in an Apple store for a while, or any cell carrier store, people bring in problem devices all day long every day. Doesn't matter if there hasn't been an OS update in 6 months, people will bring in phones with problems and blame it on something that happened recently.

However, for photos and videos, it only backs up stuff that is on your photo stream. It backs up no other media to iCloud.

Why do i always see android users talking shit about apple fanboys when no one really says anything that would lead me to believe in fanboyism. If anything android fanboys are worse because no matter what article there is always someone saying how much better android is. Even in the the real world i have encountered so many droid users give me shit for having a iphone and calling me a fanboy when my phone is the only apple product i own and i actually dont even like other apple products.

It's the nature of our mankind to make them feel superior over one another.

Best part, its all fan boys not liking the fact that Apple released it , doesnt seem like any / many of the 1-star ratings even attempted to use the app its just Apple hate lol.

But on the other side of the coin, there's a butt-ton of 5-star reviews that are not from legitimate users of the app and are just there to praise Apple and hate on Android.

fyi, iCloud is now 50GB for 99cents/month. It automatically bumps up to 50GB if you are on the 20GB plan. I am guessing the the other plans automatically went to the new tiers as well.

I updated my device last night, no issues, no problems, and my phone runs faster.

Unlike my old android, which only worked well the first week I owned it.

I always backup iPhone before I apply and update and not just when I update but at least once a month. Stuff happens and I wouldnt want to be caught without a backup.

That being said I didnt have any issues with the update and have been running fine.

My daughter upgraded, opened Siri and then couldn't get back out of it. She had to let the battery die to shut it down.

If Apple pooped on your ice cream today, apple fans would call it sprinkles. It's hopeless.

If Apple pooped on your ice cream today, apple fans would call it sprinkles. It's hopeless.

And if Apple gave every person on earth a million dollars and a blowjob, some people would still crawl out of the woodwork to crap all over them.

Fanboyism comes in many flavors.

Updated my iPhone 6 and an iPad Mini 3 I just bought yesterday and I havent had a problem yet.

It didn't crash on download or update and is working.
I didn't back up either, but there isn't anything on the phone that I'd miss if I had to factory restore.

One thing that has changed is if you swipe down on the home screen it comes up with search instead of the last people you called across the top of the screen.
Not sure why they did that since if you swipe right on the home screen and it brings up search as well.

I updated yesterday (did a search and saw nothing on Google). I've had no issues.
I don't like the new task switching. I found it much easier to find the app I wanted using the old method and see no benefit from having near full screen cards.

Of course I skipped the last update (rumors of battery drain were enough to keep me away and I didn't need the Apple Music streaming).

I don't know how anyone can be a fanboy of a phone OS. I think iOS is easier to deal with (in general), but if you want more control and flexibility you may find Android a better fit. Certainly there are crappy android devices, but if you're going to compare something to an iPhone, the Android device better cost at least $600, otherwise, it' not a fair comparison.

Ultimately I get what I like. That used to be Android phones, now it's iOS. If MS gets a bunch of apps (and there are good devices), I'd like to use their OS and see how it is. I heard nothing but good things about the last version of the OS (aside form the lack of apps)

I always backup iPhone before I apply and update and not just when I update but at least once a month. Stuff happens and I wouldnt want to be caught without a backup.

That being said I didn't have any issues with the update and have been running fine.

My pics get backed up to Adobe, so aside from music cached from Subsonic (which backups don't seem to capture), I don't think there's much I'll lose. Maybe a free game that doesn't have a free version anymore?

Just press the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds to reboot the phone.

Huh, if it does it again I will try that. Give me a windows PC or an android and I am great but I know nothing about apple products.

More often than not, it's nothing more than good nature ribbing. There's really no malicious intent obviously because it really doesn't matter. Perhaps its because some iphone users are hyper sensitive or belong to some kind of iphone cult...they're always fun to poke. :p

I hate when ppl just give bad reviews because they don't like a company. Half of those reviews are most likely ppl that never used the app for what it is. I had android since the HTC G1, and moved to a 6 plus a months ago and there isn't anything that I miss from android. To me the Iphone and Android offer pretty much the same things for something that could care less about gimmicks.
Back to the topic. I have installed IOS 9 pubic beta 3 and had no real problems. I installed IOS 9 GM and had no real problems. I then updated with the 49mb update on the 16th to the latest build of IOS 9 and still don't really have any problems. When my 6s plus pre order gets here I will try out IOS 9.1 beta. If you don't do a backup before you update your phone, that is on you and I could care less about your problems because you do not want to do a factory reset.

I'm sure there are some issues, but in my circle of friends and family 9 has gone smoothly for everyone. I could not say the same about 8, which seemed wildly rushed.

Back