Apple Confirms That the T2 Chip Blocks User Repairs

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by AlphaAtlas, Nov 13, 2018.

1. XvMMvX

XvMMvX [H]ard|Gawd

LOL BMW uses special bolts and requires special tools to do many things in order to make it cost prohibitive for 3rd party repairs. Sure you can buy the tool but it is ridiculously expensive.

BMW also uses this fancy "maintenance schedule" which they keep track of at the dealership (only the dealership to keep your car updated). Sure you don't have to use it but they have pushed it so hard that when selling your BMW if you don't have it you will take a beating on price.

2. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

So, similar to Apple's practice before T2.

3. Droc

Droc 2[H]4U

Person One "Im into bondage, choking and being hit. You?"
    Person Two "I buy apple products"
    Person One "Holy shit"

4. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

They can't void your warranty either. The car manufacturers have to prove that your aftermarket part or modification was the cause of the failure. They can't void the entire warranty either. They can only refuse to cover the repair in question. They can't refuse to repair or replace your ECU because you put aftermarket wheels on the car.

Actually, they don't try. They tend to only make a battle against paying out / repairing something if they can easily prove that your modification or aftermarket part was responsible for the issue.

5. Squall_Rinoa89

Squall_Rinoa89 Limp Gawd

6. aokman

aokman Gawd

And you use Windows?

When will people realise that privacy/security doesnt equal open garden roam all you want. If you want the alternative then go and buy a windows laptop and get used to candy crush.

7. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

If this is draconian enough, after recent PR I'd expect it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

8. mope54

mope54 [H]ardness Supreme

This has not been my experience. The law says one thing but enforcing it against the likes of Ford or BMW is cost prohibitive. Regardless, it doesn't even get that far; since you specifically brought up replacing Apple batteries I can only conclude that you aren't aware that BMW has required dealer sold and authenticated car batteries for the better part of 20 years now.

9. mope54

mope54 [H]ardness Supreme

I don't know why you never hear about PCs being repaired at the "board level," whatever you seem to think that means it's not specific to Apples or poor quality. The only repairs a modern device would need are at the board level--there isn't anything else to repair. I wouldn't expect you to hear about a pc laptop repair...why would anyone make youtube channels about it? No one would watch that. There wouldn't be much to show anyway because not many people are going to bother spending a few hundred dollars repairing a laptop that isn't worth that much and can be replaced for about the same price.

So the short version is you repaired an Apple MacBook :/

10. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I don't shop at BMW dealerships. I'm not enough of a cock to drive one of those. :)

11. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

So it is fine as long as the majority doesn't know they're being screwed?

12. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

Yeah, I repaired a dead MacBookPro 13" w/ touchbar. It took a lot of time to get it taken apart, finding the components and schematics, cleaning the board. Took about a week to get parts from Mouser with cheapest possible shipping which still cost more than components. It was all worth the effort and data has been recovered and laptop is working well still. I have pics somewhere if you want to see how it all looked.;)

13. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

If people are too stupid to do research before making a big purchase that is no ones fault but theit own.

14. Zareek

Zareek Limp Gawd

I don't disagree that people should do some research but most don't think they need to.