Apple Co-Founder Prefers Android Phones, Blasts Siri

HardOCP News

[H] News
I like Steve Wozniak, even before he said all this stuff. He just seems like a likeable guy and he says what's on his mind and spares you all the political correctness crap.

The Woz blasts the iPhone for its limitations and highlights a number of perks that Android brings, including voice commands that are better than Siri and navigation. “My primary phone is the iPhone, I love the beauty of it,” Wozniak says. “But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do.”

He also says that Android's too fragmented and needs to pull themselves together if they wish to continue to survive. I'd lay that blame on handset makers who won't support their phones once they launch their next product.

I guess he can finally talk honestly now his ex-boss is gone, and he still has some leverage, I agree with him, the iPhone is a great piece of tech, and looks nice, but it can't take a drop, and the OS has sweet FA for features compared to the Android.

There is a sense of irony in the men who got their living by tinkering in their garage having fun building things from various parts ended up having a company which essentially builds things that are designed to work as is within a set of guidelines with no further modification.

Wasn't there a similar article a couple of years ago where it was said he preferred Android and he later said he was misquoted?

There is a sense of irony in the men who got their living by tinkering in their garage having fun building things from various parts ended up having a company which essentially builds things that are designed to work as is within a set of guidelines with no further modification.

It's the 1984 commercial in reverse. :rolleyes:

And about dropped phones. I still have and use my Nokia 3595. Makes call, lasted longer than all the smart phones and folding phones that my brother and mother have gone through. :D And for me it is rare that when I may need the internet that I'm not near a pc I could use.

I bought an Android tablet for myself for Christmas. But the Android tablet app market is scarce. I would buy an iPad (I can't believe I just wrote that) but for one thing. The keyboard. The keys always show uppercase even if one is typing lowercase. I just don't understand it. I have SwiftKey X on my Android running Evo 3D and Asus Transformer Prime. It is the best keyboard ever.

Apple better pull its head out and look around. I love the commercial where the guy shows off his huge screen Android phone to the apple-heads inline at the apple store. And the iPad was not put into the military's system for mobile technology because it is too big. The Dell Streak series is being put into service instead.

Apple. This is the product and you're going to love it.

I would buy an iPad (I can't believe I just wrote that) but for one thing. The keyboard. The keys always show uppercase even if one is typing lowercase. I just don't understand it.
That is an incredibly weird reason not to buy an iPad.

Regarding Wozniak, he's always been fairly outspoken about how he feels about Apple. This is nothing new.

I bought an Android tablet for myself for Christmas. But the Android tablet app market is scarce. I would buy an iPad (I can't believe I just wrote that) but for one thing. The keyboard. The keys always show uppercase even if one is typing lowercase. I just don't understand it. I have SwiftKey X on my Android running Evo 3D and Asus Transformer Prime. It is the best keyboard ever.

Apple better pull its head out and look around. I love the commercial where the guy shows off his huge screen Android phone to the apple-heads inline at the apple store. And the iPad was not put into the military's system for mobile technology because it is too big. The Dell Streak series is being put into service instead.

Apple. This is the product and you're going to love it.

I think they're just a victim of tradition. Your PC keyboard is also upper case despite typing in lower case unless you hit Shift or Caps Lock.

I got a free Android tablet by sitting through a timeshare spiel while on vacation, need to check that out one of these days.

Every Ipod that I have purchased has failed within two years. The very first one (iPod Video I believe) failed while it was under warranty. That did not bother me because I know things happen. Plus it was an extremely easy warranty process, so I have to give Apple props on that. However, that device and the next three have all failed. The only reason I kept getting them was because my wife liked using them. In fact I still use iTunes to sort my music because I like the layout but I do not buy music from Apple. I opt to purchase most of my music through Amazon. So long story short (too late), I am not impressed with the build quality of iProducts.

Every Ipod that I have purchased has failed within two years. The very first one (iPod Video I believe) failed while it was under warranty. That did not bother me because I know things happen. Plus it was an extremely easy warranty process, so I have to give Apple props on that. However, that device and the next three have all failed. The only reason I kept getting them was because my wife liked using them. In fact I still use iTunes to sort my music because I like the layout but I do not buy music from Apple. I opt to purchase most of my music through Amazon. So long story short (too late), I am not impressed with the build quality of iProducts.

MP3 players take quite a lot of abuse compare to most products I would think. Two years is pretty on par for any portable device. My current iPhone 3Gs is still running strong since it launched June 2009.

I also never buy music from iTunes. Everything's ripped from my physical collection or purchased thought Amazon MP3.

I was wondering when this story was finally going to make [H]. I read about it 24 hours prior. :p

My iPod touch from years ago is still going strong so I can't fault it on quality. Granted, the past year or so it has sat in a dock and done nothing but play music on that dock. Never been moved so it isn't exactly getting any abuse.

That said, I agree with Woz on the devices. Apple is certainly easier for the uninitiated to get using right away simply because there are no customization options like widgets to deal with. That and the lack of bloatware are nice. But, after that point for me (a guy that hates stock anything) Android starts winning hands-down. If I can't customize it I hate the thing. I had to download the BB theme program and custom-skin my work BB because the default themes drove me bonkers, especially the default UI on OS6. I'd never be able to go with an iPhone simply because my obsession for mucking about with the UI would not be fed. I've never been able to use anything for very long that forces me down a specific path. Heck, I change the wallpaper on my desktops obsessively and the icons have to be organized "just so" on the screen. Apple? Couldn't do it.

MP3 players take quite a lot of abuse compare to most products I would think. Two years is pretty on par for any portable device. My current iPhone 3Gs is still running strong since it launched June 2009.

I also never buy music from iTunes. Everything's ripped from my physical collection or purchased thought Amazon MP3.

Unless severely abused, basically intentionally breaking it and the freak accident, there's no reason why that should be the case, but for shitty components or build quality other than maybe breaking the screen on something that has outward facing glass. Other than that it should last for a very long time. Heck the only fragile part of a PC are the spinning disks. I have computer hardware in the basement that's more than 12 years old that, other than being dated, works as well as it did the day I bought it. It's all solid state electronics, but for the screen, and should outlast it's usefulness by at least a decade if it's properly made.

Unless severely abused, basically intentionally breaking it and the freak accident, there's no reason why that should be the case, but for shitty components or build quality other than maybe breaking the screen on something that has outward facing glass. Other than that it should last for a very long time. Heck the only fragile part of a PC are the spinning disks. I have computer hardware in the basement that's more than 12 years old that, other than being dated, works as well as it did the day I bought it. It's all solid state electronics, but for the screen, and should outlast it's usefulness by at least a decade if it's properly made.

Right, but the guy I quoted said it was one of the first iPod. It had mechanical drives if I remember right. I have ancient computers and drives too. They just sit there, unlike mp3 players that get tossed on table top or sat on in your back pocket or smashed in your purse.

He also says that Android's too fragmented and needs to pull themselves together if they wish to continue to survive. I'd lay that blame on handset makers who won't support their phones once they launch their next product.

Yeah...the actual Android OS development is going great, but you're lucky to get a version that's even one or two versions old on a brand-new handset. The lack of update support has really been ridiculous.

Don't play soccer with them and they will last longer, my 2 years old phone apart from few scratches and battery wear, looks like new.

Don't play soccer with them and they will last longer, my 2 years old phone apart from few scratches and battery wear, looks like new.

I think you quoted the wrong person. My phone's still working great since June 2009. The guy I quoted says their iPod keeps quitting within 2 years.

I'd like to point out that my name spelled backward closely resembles Wozniak

Not so much their fault as the carriers demands for the same exact model (give or take the carrier band type, which is another pain in the arse) with a proprietary case, and a proprietary OS setup.

Apple just put out the same phone regardless of what the carriers want, apart from the different bands, the Android phone manufacturers really need to follow this principle of "this it take it, or shove it".

That is an incredibly weird reason not to buy an iPad.

Regarding Wozniak, he's always been fairly outspoken about how he feels about Apple. This is nothing new.

So Apple lovers can use any BS reason in the book and an android user can't ?

Plus, in my opinion, its those little things that end up driving you crazy and making you wish you had "the other device". It just so happens that most people are incredibly stupid, so there's a lot of things that are too difficult for them to understand which "drives them crazy" on an android phone that pushes them to iphones. Again, just my opinion.

So much truth there - it sucks buying something and then finding out it's been abandoned, and there's no custom roms because they did something weird and proprietary.

As much as I dislike Apple, their hardware is great. My wife had an iPod Touch, which my kids now own. It's been through Hell and back - still works. My nephews own them, and never broken. They can really take a beating. I've never understood the "cracking" problem, but I'm sure it does happen. Just not on the scale some claim. The software, though: THAT'S what I can't stand. OSX, iOS: Not my cup of tea at all.

Every Ipod that I have purchased has failed within two years. The very first one (iPod Video I believe) failed while it was under warranty.

I've only owned one iPod (6G), but it lasted almost 4 years. I used it about as hard as anyone possibly could too. I exercised with it, dropped it many times while running, took it out in cold Minnesota winters, and listened/watched video podcasts daily. Despite all this the mechanical hard drive was intact, and in the end it was the battery that died. Maybe I was just lucky though?

I would have bought another one to replace it, but somehow it hasn't dropped in price at all in 4 years... It was a fairly competitive price back then, but nowadays that's just an obscene 'Apple Tax'.

I bought a 8GB Sansa Fuze instead ($75) with a the ability to plug in 32GB microSD cards ($30). In the end I'm glad I did, since it has so much greater functionality than an iPod. You can actually see all the tag data/file info/etc, use custom EQ, delete files, and can install custom firmware for even greater functionality.

The volume control works properly too unlike my iPod. With the iPod at 0% volume you can still hear it, and going from 0-50% does almost nothing, then after 50% the volume gets louder very fast. The sound quality seems a bit better too.

...and everyone I know with an android phone hates it and wishes they would have bought an iPhone. Grass is always greener on the other side...

had the iphone4 for about a year. gave it to my 11 year old and got a galaxy nexus. would never go back to an iphone now. the iphone is a great toy but after the newness wears off its just too restrictive and boring.

There are two reasons I'm not getting an Android next. HTC has done jack all in keeping my Incredible up to date and relying on developers like Cyanogen isn't something I really like doing in regards to my phone. I mean, it has been fun, but it's also been frustrating, annoying, and irritating. The other reason? Language input. The various Japanese IMEs for Android are, frankly, horrible. And Google only has a native Pinyin (for Chinese) and Korean IME but no Japanese IME. Compared to Android, iOS is miles (and miles and miles) ahead in terms of language input built into the OS. With Android you're lucky to get Spanish, French, and possibly German in addition to the English. I realize I'm a very, very niche audience (a polygot covering several unrelated languages like Japanese and Russian) but it is nonetheless frustrating for me.

I really, really wanted to like Android. But its outright pathetic how horribly slow updates roll out for phones that aren't part of the 'Google developer experience'. I don't want to buy a phone that I then have to 'fix' by installing my own OS on it because its already out of date when I buy it. And while my Incredible has been an absolutely wonderful experience in regards to build quality, it just feels like HTC shoved it into a corner not all that long after I got it.

Id agree on the fragmentation part. but its really not enough reason for me to go full iphone, I still pretty much prefer android.

So much truth there - it sucks buying something and then finding out it's been abandoned, and there's no custom roms because they did something weird and proprietary.

Imagine being in your 40's or 50's with no kids to help you figure out what to buy. You'd be totally fucked.

I don't see the irony. They aren't stopping you from fooling around in the garage and inventing your own product. We have a free market, you don't have to buy Apple... there are many other options out there. The product they created, he felt had a symbient relationship with the hardware, software and overal product. He's not saying don't take it apart and invent something, he's saying don't wreck my product. Do you but a Picasso and then paint on it and complain saying the painter is holding you down? I don't think so.

To some extent yes this is an issue. but it applies to Apple as well. Android hits many markets everything from flip phones to smartphones and everything in between. Apple experiences the same problems even though it doesn't support anywhere near the number of platforms that Android does. The same problem that has hit Android has hit Apple. Remember when the updates landed for their higher model phone vs the lower? There were problems that lasted for months. Everything from battery life issues to lower performance. To pretend that Apple releases updates and all of the iPhone users easily upgrade just isn't reality.

Any smart dude that knows tech knows apple makes crap and never innovates worth jack even the dude who started the crap company.

the last time it did anything worth it was the fucking apple 2 and first mac back in the 1980's when he was around and he did all the work not the anti christ steve jobs.

Back