Apple Charging for Boot Camp?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
It is possible that if you want to dual boot OSX and Windows, you might be shelling out some cash to do so.

Though the source wasn't sure about the final pricing, the report said there is strong possibility that Apple's boot manager software, allowing to use Windows and Mac OS X in dual boot mode will be sold for $29 to Tiger users.

Apple: "It would be $5 to take a shit in our public restroom"

Man they want to start charging for everything latley

It doesn't make much sense for Apple to take away something that they gave away, even if the final version was supposed to be included in Panther.

It's a rumor, and (at this point) nothing more.

Steve hasnt fucked his share of supermodels lately. Needs some cash influx to afford the next one.

READ WHAT IT SAYS AGAIN! This is great news. Apple will be selling the final version of Boot Camp to 10.4 users so they don't have to upgrade to 10.5 like we previously thought. Boot Camp will be included for free with 10.5. I would like the description of this news on the front page changed.

good luck getting it changed.

heres the rules at [H] regarding apple.

Kyle thinks apple is ok

Steve fuckin HATES apple

Steve is a gigantic man

other posters at the [H], like rich hate on apple so they are "cool with the buff guy"

im a huge fan of the [H] and have been for a lot of years now, but thats the way I see it having read this site since 03 and been posting since 04.

Oh to the signs of a desperate company

LOL! You're joking right?

Anyways, what the front page article COMPLETELY fails to mention is:

1) Bootcamp is part of the upcoming Leapord OS, so essentially "FREE" with 10.5
2) It is only $29 for Tiger users, image that, charging for software!!!
3) Apple has charged $29 for iChatAV in the past to Panther users when Tiger came out (keeps those who don't want to upgrade from having to, but they still get some new features)
4) Bootcamp IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN a time-limited beta, its says it pretty clearly when you install it.
5) How DARE Microsoft charge for Vista after giving away Betas for free!!!!
6) Quit complaining, you got used to free software, understandable. Skype did it, why are we complaining? (Oh, because |H| is an MS-leaning site)

3) Apple has charged $29 for iChatAV in the past to Panther users when Tiger came out (keeps those who don't want to upgrade from having to, but they still get some new features)
4) Bootcamp IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN a time-limited beta, its says it pretty clearly when you install it.
6) Quit complaining, you got used to free software, understandable. Skype did it, why are we complaining? (Oh, because |H| is an MS-leaning site)

Oh, and Parralells(sp) is $80! For the same program that cause the inconvenience of a reboot but provides better hardware (and 3D) support, I'd say $30 is a deal.

Are they hurting for money or is their greed that blinding?

I was under the impression that this was always going to be a new feature of Leopard so for them to offer it without that upgrade seems kinda reasonable to me as long as they offer some support for it and keep the drivers up to date(video being the big one).

If MS were doing this, this thread would already be 100 denunciating posts long..
Apple is was never as cool a company as the mac-lovers like pretend.. It is a corporation like any other.. It's only purpose is to extract money from your pockets into their own coffers..

This is not surprising coming from a company so proprietary that it makes MS look as open as Linux by comparison.. (Well, I wouldn't go that far, but you get the point)... :D

I have a Win boxen and Nix boxen, no longer have any mac boxen left, so I guess this unsurprising turn of events has little impact on me..

Out of curiosity how much does a point release cost? Like, if I bought an Apple now with 10.4 and wanted to go to 10.5? Also, (besides bootcamp) what do the point releases add?

I am an apple newb, so sorry if this is all common sense.

As for HardOCP leaning to Microsoft, go ahead and make your own apple leaning site, Kyle won't give a damn. Until then, stop bitching.

This is an enthusiast hardware site. Apple doesn't mix well with the overclocking/modding community. So you won't find many extreme hardware sites liking them.

This is an enthusiast hardware site. Apple doesn't mix well with the overclocking/modding community. So you won't find many extreme hardware sites liking them.

that being said, the apple forum here has been open longer than youve been posting woman

good luck getting it changed.

heres the rules at [H] regarding apple.

Kyle thinks apple is ok

Steve fuckin HATES apple

Steve is a gigantic man

other posters at the [H], like rich hate on apple so they are "cool with the buff guy"

im a huge fan of the [H] and have been for a lot of years now, but thats the way I see it having read this site since 03 and been posting since 04.
I lol'd at this. I guess if I worked at [H], I'd want to keep on Steve's good side too. :D

btw, why can't the word Apple be mentioned with fanbo!s crawling out of the woodwork? Yes, it's dickish that they're charging. But - gasp - they are a company, and a companies first loyalty is to their waller. Did you expect a company that charges 600$ for a phone to give you something for free? :p

Out of curiosity how much does a point release cost? Like, if I bought an Apple now with 10.4 and wanted to go to 10.5? Also, (besides bootcamp) what do the point releases add?

I am an apple newb, so sorry if this is all common sense.

As for HardOCP leaning to Microsoft, go ahead and make your own apple leaning site, Kyle won't give a damn. Until then, stop bitching.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/
Tons of details about the next release - and - not sure of cost - maybe 100-150...

Tons of details about the next release - and - not sure of cost - maybe 100-150...

'Point' releases cost 129$ but they are in fact whole operating systems, with whole system wide improvements and wholy new software to acompany it.

$129 for retail, $69 for student, and they have 5-packs for family licensing with more than one mac starting at $199.

And the two posts that pixelbender made are the real truth about the story and what's involved with this news post.

I'm not complaining though, I already knew about this before reading it on the [H] and with the [H] being a hardware enthusiast site like others have said, I didn't expect the news post to be without bias.

BootCamp for $29 is a steal considering now you will get Apple customer support for the Apple components of your windows install, which includes most of the drivers and hardware so long as you don't install 3rd party drivers.

ALSO this only effects people who will be sticking to Tiger OS for a while whilst Leopard gets its quirks worked out as is expected.

I'm buying Leopard from the get-go though using my student pricing.

Eh makes sense to me. Bootcamp is a feature of Leopard. Why include new features to an older OS?

Should MS offer Aero to XP users for free?

Personally I would just pay the $40 extra bucks for Leopard.

I'm buying Leopard from the get-go though using my student pricing.

Hopefully 10.5 will work on older mac hardware like the G4.

There are some o/c people at macmod.com

If MS were doing this, this thread would already be 100 denunciating posts long..
Apple is was never as cool a company as the mac-lovers like pretend..

agree

Did you expect a company that charges 600$ for a phone to give you something for free? :p

They should just make it $6000 for the iPhone. :eek:

Hopefully 10.5 will work on older mac hardware like the G4.

Don't think that will be an issue as long as it has the ram. Anyway it also doesn't really have anything to do with the boot camp debate since boot camp is for the x86 apples.

that being said, the apple forum here has been open longer than youve been posting woman

so you're saying apple is actually overclocking friendly because:

1) I've been posting for a shorter time than you
2) You believe I'm a woman

rofl... you're logic is halarious

so you're saying apple is actually overclocking friendly because:

1) I've been posting for a shorter time than you
2) You believe I'm a woman

rofl... you're logic is halarious

i would explain myself but aparently my remedial english is a bit rusty. ill try speaking to you in foreigner i guess..

OK YOU LISTEN GOOD K? APPLE FORUM HERE LONGER THAN U.

YOU SOUND LIKE WOMAN ALWAYS WHINE WHINE LIKE BABY IN OVEN.

there spoke to you in foreigner, hopefully you get the point now.

regardless im very sorry the outcome of our interaction was not congruent with that which was desired.

I guess it does not seem to unreasonable to charge for boot camp after looking into it a little, I mean, they want you to buy the point release, so they charge for one of the main features if you do not want to upgrade. Makes sense, I mean, apple does want to make money. Thanks for the link, and clearing that up for me.

there spoke to you in foreigner, hopefully you get the point now.

But the only point you've made is that you act like a child. Instead of being immature, try explaining why it matters that they haven't been here as long as you have, oh superior one.

But the only point you've made is that you act like a child. Instead of being immature, try explaining why it matters that they haven't been here as long as you have, oh superior one.

Yeah I have no idea why he's being an ass like that... Apple guys already get the shaft here, and people like him will make it even worse...

Can't we all stop complaining about a legit biz decision and start b*tching about the 802.11n upgrade charge!?!?! Then again, I don't know why everyone on /. and such moan about it cause we're all gonna [ARGHH!] pirate it anyways.

As for their coffers - a biz is in biz to make money - and through their stock, they've filled my coffers ten-fold over the last five years.

My personal opinion, is that I see Apple now where MS was in the early 90s. I've already made a lot with their stock, but its still early enough to jump on board. Ten years from now the stock won't be what it was, and OS X will be ruined by widespread popularity similar to Windows, but til then, we can enjoy the ride.

Back