Apple CEO Tim Cook Won't Let His Nephew On Social Media

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Speaking at a school in England on Friday, Apple CEO Tim Cook stated he didn't want his nephew to use social networks. "I don't have a kid, but I have a nephew that I put some boundaries on," Cook said "There are some things that I won't allow; I don't want them on a social network." He also added that he doesn't believe in the overuse of technology, and that sometimes an iPad is inappropriate in the classroom.

This reminds me of an article I wrote about last year investigating is "Smartphones have destroyed a generation?", and another about Extreme internet usage linked to mental illness in teens. Both articles went into what's been happening to children and young adults with the advent of social media, and none of it is good news. Cook's statements come after a former Facebook executive warned that social networks were "ripping apart the social fabric." It's nice to see heads of tech companies start to take notice of these issues.

"There are are still concepts that you want to talk about and understand," He said. "In a course on literature, do I think you should use technology a lot? Probably not."

I agree with him. I don't think children under 13 should be allowed on social media.

The problem is that parents these days work more than ever and it's a hell of a lot easier to say yes than deal with the fallout of saying no.

I agree kids shouldnt be allowed on the internet unsupervised until a certain age. However I dont think social media is destroying society. I think its just shining a light on what we have been doing a damn good job of doing the past 20yrs or so...

I guess this kid's parents are awful if they need the kid's uncle to set boundaries.

Completely agree with him.

When I teach courses, college or grad school, I never allow computers, even calculators, in the class. They seem to think the answer is in that dumb device. The numerical answer is of little value in that situation, it is how you go about getting it that counts.

Does Tim Cook not have his own children to worry about?

If he was my uncle I’d tell him to shut the fuck up.

I find it somewhat odd that an Uncle could have that kind of pull in the life of a nephew unless of course there's something going on, whatever that might be.

When I teach courses, college or grad school, I never allow computers, even calculators, in the class. They seem to think the answer is in that dumb device. The numerical answer is of little value in that situation, it is how you go about getting it that counts.
Remember when none of those things were allowed in a classroom (if they even existed)? We were actually expected to use our brains (gasp!). (perhaps I should have posted a trigger warning for our younger readers :hilarious:)

Parenting and being a CEO are completely different skill sets. He's probably less qualified than most people to deal with kids.

As a teacher, most American parents in general aren't qualified to deal with kids, and are causing a lot of damage to their children and our nation/worlds future wellbeing overall. This nation desperately needs parenting classes to teach both parents of today's generation and past generations what they're doing, and to put an end to harmful and antiquated misconceptions/practices. Though this is just one of many things that need to be changed, among other things, we also need to fix the system that produces the various side effects stemming from economic injustice which greatly harms families and kills opportunities both during critical years of learning and for adults. Most European nations, especially the Scandinavian ones, are prime examples of what needs to be done here. Sweden is any parents dream come true.

Parenting and being a CEO are completely different skill sets. He's probably less qualified than most people to deal with kids.
That's a fair point but just in normal, average, everyday people's homes when nephews and nieces go visit an aunt's or uncle's house they have to follow the rules. The parent, after all, is a brother or sister to this kid; it's not like some stranger is interjecting how to raise someone else's kids at the supermarket. I don't like it when someone corrects my daughter or my dog when I'm in the room (and I don't do that to other people), but if I'm not present that doesn't mean that either have free reign.

At least, that's how things are run in my household and my younger sister and brother have never called me to task for establishing ground rules when their kids come to my home. If I was the CEO of Apple, I imagine they'd probably ask me my opinion about technology and social media and respect my opinion even if I didn't have kids of my own.

I limit my kids time on their tablets and other devices. They get 2 hours a day and that is all. Week days they don't even get that much. When they go to their moms they get 0 time, as she doesn't even have that stuff. They won't be on social media when they get older either.

That's a fair point but just in normal, average, everyday people's homes when nephews and nieces go visit an aunt's or uncle's house they have to follow the rules. The parent, after all, is a brother or sister to this kid; it's not like some stranger is interjecting how to raise someone else's kids at the supermarket. I don't like it when someone corrects my daughter or my dog when I'm in the room (and I don't do that to other people), but if I'm not present that doesn't mean that either have free reign.

At least, that's how things are run in my household and my younger sister and brother have never called me to task for establishing ground rules when their kids come to my home. If I was the CEO of Apple, I imagine they'd probably ask me my opinion about technology and social media and respect my opinion even if I didn't have kids of my own.

I am not sure what you mean you dont like someone correcting your kids when they are in that persons house. If you arent there to supervise it becomes their responsibility. If youre in my house I will give you the first opportunity to correct the behavior that is against the rules...but if you dont I will and I will be totally justified in doing so.

Social media should be banned everywhere, so I agree with you there.

In college/grad school? I think the no tech rule should be depending on degree and target. I personally find it a negative learning experience memorizing facts, formulas or other information for one off usage in classrooms. I completely agree they should know how to find the answer, but not allowing any kind of reference appliance or note ability should not be applicable to all situations. Math course, sure, as there's apps that can solve everything with a picture. Science class and what element is 23rd on the list? Reference appliance.

One of my favorite tests when getting my previous job was I was given a computer with the internet, a random problem (In this case, road construction issue [was going for an audio job]) completely unrelated to the job I was going for, and then 20 minutes to understand as much as I could of the problem.

My .02.

Tim Cook's openly gay. But generally homosexual couples don't tend to have children except for adoption or surrogates.

Generally everyone that isn't Tim Cook is poor.

I am not sure what you mean you dont like someone correcting your kids when they are in that persons house. If you arent there to supervise it becomes their responsibility. If youre in my house I will give you the first opportunity to correct the behavior that is against the rules...but if you dont I will and I will be totally justified in doing so.
I wrote I don't like (or agree) with someone disciplining my children or pets while I am present and I don't do it to other people but that if I'm not around I don't expect adults to give children or pets free reign.

This doesn't have anything to do with whose home we're in.

If I am in my house, I would be upset if someone disciplined my daughter in front of me.
The same would be true if I was at the supermarket.
The same would be true if I was in someone else's house.

The responsibility, and method, of disciplining my children is *my* decision and no one else's. If someone doesn't like the way my child is behaving and they aren't satisfied with the way I am handling the situation, that's a conversation they can have with me and ask me to leave or whatever but I don't find it acceptable for someone other than me to scold, threaten, or strike my child in any case in general and even more so when I am present.

I wrote I don't like (or agree) with someone disciplining my children or pets while I am present and I don't do it to other people but that if I'm not around I don't expect adults to give children or pets free reign.

This doesn't have anything to do with whose home we're in.

If I am in my house, I would be upset if someone disciplined my daughter in front of me.
The same would be true if I was at the supermarket.
The same would be true if I was in someone else's house.

The responsibility, and method, of disciplining my children is *my* decision and no one else's. If someone doesn't like the way my child is behaving and they aren't satisfied with the way I am handling the situation, that's a conversation they can have with me and ask me to leave or whatever but I don't find it acceptable for someone other than me to scold, threaten, or strike my child in any case in general and even more so when I am present.

I completely agree, but if you don't do something about it, then someone else has to,

example, my niece was over with her friends, one of her friends is a real bitch towards my niece, I didn't do anything about, afterwords I had a talk with her parents, later on a month or so, similiar things happened, I told my niece not to hang out with her anymore, and later on, sat down with the bitch's parents and the bitch, and talked to them. Done and over.

Its not a person's place to discipline someone's child unless they are given the responsibility to do so.

So Tim Cook places demands on his Sister/Brother's children?

That seems a bit odd.

Should be up to the kids parents to make the rules.

So Tim Cook places demands on his Sister/Brother's children?

That seems a bit odd.

Should be up to the kids parents to make the rules.

Well depends when my niece is over, she isn't allowed on social networks, she is only 11 years old and my brother told me he doesn't want her to be on the computer for those things. The only social networks she is allowed to be on is her school stuff and that is limited to 15 mins a day.

Kind of wondered if allowing reading, but forbidding posting might be a compromise. They can will stay current on memes and other activities with their friends, will form an opinion on what kind of a shitshow it all is which is more likely if they sit on the sidelines, won't be a newbie when they first start on their own.

As a teacher, most American parents in general aren't qualified to deal with kids, and are causing a lot of damage to their children and our nation/worlds future wellbeing overall. This nation desperately needs parenting classes to teach both parents of today's generation and past generations what they're doing, and to put an end to harmful and antiquated misconceptions/practices. Though this is just one of many things that need to be changed, among other things, we also need to fix the system that produces the various side effects stemming from economic injustice which greatly harms families and kills opportunities both during critical years of learning and for adults. Most European nations, especially the Scandinavian ones, are prime examples of what needs to be done here. Sweden is any parents dream come true.
This post makes me glad I'm only an uncle because I don't think its sarcasm.

Back