Apple CEO Tim Cook Donates $100M to Charity

HardOCP News

[H] News
It has to be a tough job trying to fill Steve Jobs' shoes but I think this guy is doing a hell of a job. I certainly like his willingness to donate to charity, match employee donations and offer big discounts to employees.

Cook said $50 million had been donated to Stanford's hospitals, with $25 million for a new main building and $25 million for a new children's hospital. Another $50 million has been donated to Product RED, which is a charity that combats diseases such as AIDS, tuberculosis, and malaria.

Maybe he actually does have a soul, unlike his predecessor.

Commendable! He didn't have to.

More of the UHNW crowd should take hints from Buffet, Gates and Cook (etc.)..

Good news on a Friday :)

While this is a great gesture, 100m to Apple is pretty much nothing. It would be like someone who makes around 100k a year giving out a $20.

That money should have gone toward a folding datacenter. jk

While this is a great gesture, 100m to Apple is pretty much nothing. It would be like someone who makes around 100k a year giving out a $20.

Nothing makes you happy, doesn't it?

It's just one charity and the year just started.

Good to see him start out good... hopefully this is a good start.

I think you fail at math

unless you actually think apple makes 500 trillion a year

Good on him. Though I'm sure the more asperger'd detractors can spin this into a negative.

Why do I feel that its more of a publicity stunt with contraversy of news of working conditions at Foxconn and the insane amounts of money Apple has made recently? This especially in light that Steve Jobs was never really charitable unlike Gates.

It's actually like someone who makes 100k/year giving away exactly $385.

When was the last time you gave someone $385 just for lulz?

about time that do-no-good company does something, maybe they will follow Gate's steps ;)

If Apple is a great company which I think it is then Jobs simply wasn't as important as many made him out to be, not at this point. Good job Mr. Cook!

They didn't do it for the lulz either...they did it for tax purposes. If apple is going to be forced to "pay the man"...they might as well do it in a way which "makes them look good".

If apple (and any other mega corp) could get a tax deduction for spinning cats from ceiling fans, youtube would be flooded. :D

It looks like this was his personal money... which means it's more like someone making $100,000 giving away $40k.

They didn't do it for the lulz either...they did it for tax purposes. If apple is going to be forced to "pay the man"...they might as well do it in a way which "makes them look good".

If apple (and any other mega corp) could get a tax deduction for spinning cats from ceiling fans, youtube would be flooded. :D

while I know you are right I would rather apple/cook give the 100mil to hospitals and people that will actually (hopefully) do good with it...

big companies get out of paying taxes via loopholes anyway, this being one of them

Pretty sure Cook personally donated that 100m, I don't believe that came from Apple's coffers. Some people are never happy.

BTW I donated almost $1000 to charity last year and I make under 100k/year. If you are so gung-ho about donating and making the world a better place, put your money where your mouth is, otherwise you have no room to talk.

It seems to me that if you haven't donated $100,000,000 to charity so far this year, you don't have much room to criticize a guy who has.

If I made 100k a year, I'd probably give $385 worth of donations away over the course of a year.

That said, when you make 100k a year, a MUCH large percentage of that is used for your living expenses vs someone who makes. You do the kind of stuff this guy does he's getting paid a "minimal" salary, and a shit ton in stock options, which can be cashed in a later date and then the rich-man two-step tax evasion technique comes into play as he's only charged at a rate of 15% (or did it go up to 20%), and then he's probably not even charged at all if it went directly to a charity...

But all that being said, who fucking cares why he gave the money? He gave most of it locally, a hospital now has $50 million bucks, half of which is going towards a children's hospital, so overall it's a good thing.

So Gates willing to be as public as possible with his charity work and political work are not altruistic? :rolleyes:
No, it's him garnering attention and praise from people to feed an ego.

Cook/Jobs are damned if they do/don't with some people. Face it: you hate nice laptops.
That goes for anyone. You make a big deal about giving a bunch of money to some cause then you are not doing it for the reasons that you want people to think you are doing them.

Tim Cook, just give the money to me and I'll start a business and use nothing but Apple products. :D

He's already doing a better job than Jobs... I hate apple but anyone who gives to charity is typically a winner in my book.

Back