Apple CEO In China Mission To Clear Up Problems

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apple's CEO Tim Cook has flown to China to give them the ol' "don't make me have to come back here" speech. :cool:

Apple Inc Chief Executive Tim Cook has jetted into China for talks with government officials as he seeks to clear up a pile of problems in the firm's biggest growth market, from its contested iPad trademark to treatment of local labour.

Hope they tell him to fuck off about the labor. Foxconn is operating under thei labor laws, making their product to their satisfaction, and apple is happy with the price... What to pay more and cut yourself out o the market then go someplace else because all other electronics compiles use the same cheap labor we provide.

Hope they tell him to fuck off about the labor. Foxconn is operating under thei labor laws, making their product to their satisfaction, and apple is happy with the price... What to pay more and cut yourself out o the market then go someplace else because all other electronics compiles use the same cheap labor we provide.

Do you want them to mistreat their workers? You have to realize it's crap like this that makes it impossible for labor in countries like the U.S.to be competitive. It gives labor unions ammo to justify their existence.

"I want three more nets here, here and here. And a jumping castle under the dormitary filled with n-hexane!"

Foxconn is NOT operating under their labor laws. China turns a blind eye on labor abuse despite their laws in the name of greed and profit. China's labor and workforce laws are quite similar to other first world countries. They're just not enforcing it.

Foxconn is NOT operating under their labor laws. China turns a blind eye on labor abuse despite their laws in the name of greed and profit. China's labor and workforce laws are quite similar to other first world countries. They're just not enforcing it.

Then that's china's problem, not apple's. You can't expect apple to hang itself all in te greater good because htc, motorola, etc are all goon to continue using that company. If it was just apple these ridiculous statements from the media might have a point, but until it is it is just butthurt.

Do you want them to mistreat their workers? You have to realize it's crap like this that makes it impossible for labor in countries like the U.S.to be competitive. It gives labor unions ammo to justify their existence.

Labor unions almost took down gm, and it took the democrats bailing out those cronies to keep them afloat. Not the same thing, especially when our market would choose the lower price product regardless of being made in china.

Please, he's out there to warn them to shorten the leash a bit and keep things quite so they don't continue to look like they are enabling sweat shops. Media is a fickle bitch, if there not talking about it everyone will have forgotten it in 3 months. Then it will be back to business as usual.

There are lots of other companies using Foxconn (and other ODMs) who do monitor labor practices, and kick them to the curb when this misbehave.

Have you been to an electronics factory in China?

There are lots of other companies using Foxconn (and other ODMs) who do monitor labor practices, and kick them to the curb when this misbehave.

Have you been to an electronics factory in China?

No. But I've been to several SE Asian countries and seen their conditions first hand. But why are you quoting me? I'm not saying that all companies aren't enforcing labor laws. I'm telling the guy I quoted that there ARE strict labor laws when he implied they lack it, but factory owners are following what laws they do have. Labor laws in China are not as enforced as they should be.

And I disagree with him about minding our own business. Days of fighting wars to stop aggression and oppression is over. Countries these days can be made to fall in line by popular awareness. I'm not at all saying that only Apple should be the only one to slap their hands. It just seem like it because this entire thread centers on Tim Cook and Apple. I agree that all companies should throw in their two cents and tell Foxconn what is to be expected of them if they're to participate in international commerce. China is a member of the WTO and they have a responsibility to adhere to the rules.

How often does Michael Dell fly to China to attempt to resolve labor issues at Foxconn?

How often does Michael Dell fly to China to attempt to resolve labor issues at Foxconn?

Hopefully never because it's none of his god damn business as it shouldn't be for Apple. People are so pissed because Apple makes a superior product and gets the parts dirt cheap because they order X amount of them. I'm so sick of people who have a problem with this. Don't like it? Go invent something amazing and something the masses will want and stop crying.

It is Apple's business, though — they're contracting with Foxconn; Foxconn is no doubt failing to honor certain contractual obligations re: labor; Cook is making the trip to attempt to resolve those issues. These issues reflect poorly on Apple, so it absolutely is 'their business'. Not their company, but their business.

It isn't something Apple has to do, but it's something they should do as it's become something of a PR issue. Why it hasn't hurt any other company in the consumer electronics sector is disturbing, though. I understand why, but I also think it's absurdly hypocritical and stupid.

Hopefully never because it's none of his god damn business as it shouldn't be for Apple. People are so pissed because Apple makes a superior product and gets the parts dirt cheap because they order X amount of them. I'm so sick of people who have a problem with this. Don't like it? Go invent something amazing and something the masses will want and stop crying.

So it's ok for you to get "so sick of people" who are so sick of apple; it's just not ok for those people to do the same about apple :rolleyes:..

So it's ok for you to get "so sick of people" who are so sick of apple; it's just not ok for those people to do the same about apple :rolleyes:..

are you sick of people who are sick of people that are sick of Apple not doing anything about Foxconn? :eek:

Why it hasn't hurt any other company in the consumer electronics sector is disturbing, though. I understand why, but I also think it's absurdly hypocritical and stupid.

Because no other electronics company has a cult following like Apple. At least none that I can think of. Some may have a cult following, but it doesn't hold a candle to Apple's, when you combine it with the image Apple makes of itself. Sure, you might have console loyalists, but that loyalty does not extend into the company's other products or services the way Apple's fanbase does.

That is why it isn't hurting them. Apple built this image around their products and themselves as a company to be this upstanding representation, when in reality they're just as greedy as any other company in their position would be. "Think different" can mean a lot of things. In this case people want to think that Apple would be above this. its obviously earning them bad PR. It also doesn't help that nobody really reports what Foxconn makes and for who other than Apple. If that stuff got spread just as wide, I'd bet more companies would be forced to "investigate" the going ons at Foxconn just to keep the bad press off them.

Back