Apple Beginner...

SILENCER00

Gawd
I've using a pc forever, and I thought it would be fun to pick up a mac to tool around on - any suggestions on which model to go with? I was thinking about a cube because they seem relatively inexpensive, but I dunno about performance (plus I have no idea yet what I'm going to use the system for).
Also, I have dual inputs on my monitor, so I would also like to re-use my peripherals (keyboard and mouse), is there a usb kvm switch... or maybe some wireless input devices I could just stash when im not using the mac.

I dunno, just looking for a place to start out :) Any input would be appriciated!

Cube's aren't really cheap for the features they have (aren't the 450mhz ones still like 700 bucks?). I would guess that the best bang for the buck in used macs would be the powermac line.

Agreed with lopoetve. If you just wanna mess around, best bang for your buck will be the G4 Powermac series. Just get one that is around the 500MHZ area. See if you can find good deal on them used from classified ads or whatnot.

and not just your favorite generic RAM either...Mac's don't like the cheap stuff....if you don't get the Apple RAM then get Crucial and it will work fine....ebay is also another good place to find comps and like everybody is saying the 500mhz range will give you a good deal

Back