Apple Bans iFixit App Over Apple TV Teardown

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wouldn't worry too much about this situation. Apple will do what they always do when they come under fire, they will put the app back and claim it was all a big misunderstanding. :rolleyes:

The developer unit we disassembled was sent to us by Apple. Evidently, they didn’t intend for us to take it apart. But we’re a teardown and repair company; teardowns are in our DNA—and nothing makes us happier than figuring out what makes these gadgets tick. We weighed the risks, blithely tossed those risks over our shoulder, and tore down the Apple TV anyway. A few days later, we got an email from Apple informing us that we violated their terms and conditions—and the offending developer account had been banned.

The AppleTVs were provided to developers for $1 under NDA so the developers can work on apps for the hardware. They violated the NDA, is Apple supposed to just shrug that off?

The AppleTVs were provided to developers for $1 under NDA so the developers can work on apps for the hardware. They violated the NDA, is Apple supposed to just shrug that off?
Nope weird they didn't try to clear the article with apple before publishing it.

F-Apple.

It's not like anyone else can't take it apart. People look to iFixit to see what makes things time.

Apple is very Juvenal when it comes to stupid stuff like that. They remove people who give their products bad reviews too.

F-Apple.

It's not like anyone else can't take it apart. People look to iFixit to see what makes things time.

Apple is very Juvenal when it comes to stupid stuff like that. They remove people who give their products bad reviews too.

It has nothing to do with them taking it apart, the issue is taking it apart and putting it on display while still under NDA

If it promotes sales what's the harm in it? Hard to please the sheep.

The one who sent that email from Apple is the one who should be banned (from Apple).

F-Apple.

Wo Wo Wo....Calm down.....

It's not because they tear it apart, it was because they broke the NDA with their developer account....

Say what you want about Apple as a company. There engineering standards have been second to none, taking a look inside any macbook or imac, you can see the attention to detail put into their products.

It has nothing to do with them taking it apart, the issue is taking it apart and putting it on display while still under NDA

If it promotes sales what's the harm in it? Hard to please the sheep.

F-Apple.

ol1bit and mi7chy here clearly don't think twice about NDA's weight. This kind of unsanctioned confidentiality breach by the corporation cannot stand and this breach of agreement is a tort.

Both of you obviously don't give a rat's ass about this, but anyone that's in business knows why no quarter can be given to iFixit over this, even if we have our bones about Apple privately.

ol1bit and mi7chy here clearly don't think twice about NDA's weight. This kind of unsanctioned confidentiality breach by the corporation cannot stand and this breach of agreement is a tort.

Both of you obviously don't give a rat's ass about this, but anyone that's in business knows why no quarter can be given to iFixit over this, even if we have our bones about Apple privately.

QFT! Any other company would do exactly what Apple did or worst. If iFixit agreed to an NDA they should not have published those photos until after the NDA was lifted.

ol1bit and mi7chy here clearly don't think twice about NDA's weight..

Don't send a unit to a site that disassembles things if you don't want it disassembled. Duh... It's like sending boys to a strip club then complain that the place is unholy. Duh duh...

Don't send a unit to a site that disassembles things if you don't want it disassembled. Duh... It's like sending boys to a strip club then complain that the place is unholy. Duh duh...

Which is why Apple has all the justification now to sue iFixit off the face of the Earth. They better lawyer up.

Don't sign a non disclosure agreement if you fully intend to disclose things Duh... It's like telling your girlfriend you're not going to bang her brother then banging her brother.

Clearly over your head...

I hate that I agree. The internals show no wasted space, nor are there shortcuts taken...

Dat Black PCB...

If only their software and user base were of the same standard...

I like these teardowns but if all that happens is their app is removed from the app store they should count themselves lucky.

If they'd just bought the product off the shelf and Apple had done this, yeah that'd be a totally different story. But getting a pre-release copy and then doing it knowing you are breaching your NDA seems...pointlessly risky.

Looks like a deliberate attempt to get more exposure.

Say what you want about Apple as a company. There engineering standards have been second to none, taking a look inside any macbook or imac, you can see the attention to detail put into their products.

Yep. Because the overseers whip on any of the poor Chinese kids who fuck up.
Then take away their $1 a month paycheck.

Engineering for product design is a totally different subject than manufacturing methods.

I hear what you are saying. I have 3 MacPros and a MacBook Pro. Apple has some really impressive designs, but they are not immune to crap manufacturing or stupid hardware choices.

I ripped apart a 2009 27" iMac at work to replace a bad drive. I found dozens of bad solder joints. Whats worse, is I found a few jumper wires soldered across contacts on the main logic board, which you can tell was done after the board was built. I can only assume this was done to correct a design flaw or make a repair before it left the factory. This was originally a brand new iMac that we ordered from Apple directly and wasn't a refurb.

I managed to resolder all the bad joints and replace the drive. But it turns out there is a special built in temp sensor on the Apple/Seagate drive (which the replacement didn't have) and the fan now runs 100% all the time. You have to use the drive designed for this iMac. There was no way I was going pay for some special Apple drive with crap firmware or wait for a special cable OWC makes for 3rd party drives. So we said to hell with it and replaced it with a new Mac Mini and 27" LG IPS display.

I agree they design cool stuff, but all is not roses in Apple hardware land.

Most of the comments here really show how far this site has dropped over the years. I guess that's why so many troll and click bait news items have taken this site over.

Seriously, if this site opened up an nVidia gfx card, and posted a review and tear down of that card a month before the NDA expires, and nVidia sued this site for its actions, would all of you be calling nVidia asshats for suing, or would you think, well they broke the rules for the financial benefit of their site, and knowingly broke the NDA, so yeah, they are wrong, and deserved to be punished over it?

I wonder just how many of you would side with this site, because... "Yeah, and I would have shot it with a sniper rifle from 2 miles away too, and screw nVida anyway..." :rolleyes:

Most of the comments here really show how far this site has dropped over the years. I guess that's why so many troll and click bait news items have taken this site over.

Seriously, if this site opened up an nVidia gfx card, and posted a review and tear down of that card a month before the NDA expires, and nVidia sued this site for its actions, would all of you be calling nVidia asshats for suing, or would you think, well they broke the rules for the financial benefit of their site, and knowingly broke the NDA, so yeah, they are wrong, and deserved to be punished over it?

I wonder just how many of you would side with this site, because... "Yeah, and I would have shot it with a sniper rifle from 2 miles away too, and screw nVida anyway..." :rolleyes:

Stimpy wins the thread.

They acted like morons, violated the NDA, and then are surprised there are consequences to their actions???? really? Pretty juvenille

I came in here expecting Apple to be over reacting to something again, only to see that iFixit more or less admitted to knowing what they were doing was wrong did it anyway, and broke a NDA, I am really shocked that all Apple did was ban the account, I would say Apple did the right thing and surprised they didn't take it further. Apple did not remove the app, so much as the dev account was linked to the same account that published the app, so when the account got banned, the app went with it.

It sounds like the app was really outdated, didn't work on most of the new OSs, and was completely broken on iOS 9 and they had no plans on rewritting it to make it work. So it sounds like this was staged to get Apple to pull the app that didn't work, so they could blame Apple for pulling it and have a reason for not updating it.

You sir win.

F-Apple.

One more time for Penetwation:

N....D....A.... It is a legal document after all.

I hate that I agree. The internals show no wasted space, nor are there shortcuts taken...

Dat Black PCB...

If only their software and user base were of the same standard...

User base? Really?

Yes, because Apple owns all those factories themselves.

Oh, wait.... no they don't. They are CUSTOMERS of those factories.

And as anyone that has dealt with contract manufacturers knows, you ask them 'can you build xxxx by xxxx date?" they will say yes and then strain their workers and sidestep quality to get there, and now the company buying those has to deal with that mess.

^^^

Pretty much "this", but with a lot more swearing.

Wow.

Oversensitive much?

29799515.jpg

Don't sign a non disclosure agreement if you fully intend to disclose things Duh... It's like telling your girlfriend you're not going to bang her brother then banging her brother.

Hold up now. Why would you tell your girlfriend you're going to bang her....brother??

Back