Apple: “Back to the Mac” on Oct 20

Terpfen

Supreme [H]ardness
Apple has sent out press invites for a press event in one week titled “Back to the Mac”. Based on the image they sent out with the invites, I’m guessing we’ll see a preview of OS X 10.7 Lion. (Note that I’m just guessing it’ll be called Lion based on the image.) Also possible: spec bumps for various Macs and a rumored carbon fiber MacBook Air. Lastly, there hasn’t been a new beta of 10.6.5 in a while, which suggests it’s stable enough to see release soon. The latest version of WoW has some graphics options that can’t be enabled without 10.6.5.

mainimagev.jpg

Last edited:
Here's hoping that the MBA gets a 11 or 12 inch screen. 10.6.5 would definitely be welcome as would some graphics updates (there is no reason my mac should get 20% better frame rates in Windows then in OS X). 10.7 would also be cool to see what they come up with, but at this point really all I want is multi-touch display support for 10.6.

Maybe some new enterprise solutions? That is the one place apple is really lacking. They have one 1U server option, a mini server, and don't even have their own storage solutions anymore.

10.6.5 would definitely be welcome as would some graphics updates (there is no reason my mac should get 20% better frame rates in Windows then in OS X).

10.6.5 does include updated graphics drivers. And yes, immature drivers are the main reason why gaming performance in OS X lags behind Windows. A second big reason is that most game ports to OS X are half-assed and done through an emulation layer, like CoD4. There’s also the DirectX to OpenGL transition to worry about.

It’s going to be a long time before gaming/3D performance on OS X equals performance on Windows. But at least the process has finally started. Steam and AutoCAD are landmark releases.

Maybe some new enterprise solutions? That is the one place apple is really lacking. They have one 1U server option, a mini server, and don't even have their own storage solutions anymore.

Xserve, Snow Leopard Server, and the Mac Mini are all they offer to enterprise, and all they likely will offer to enterprise. Steve Jobs has pulled Apple back from the enterprise arena because there’s more money in the consumer market, and IT offices tend to resist Apple anyway. Why fight a losing battle for a smaller profit?

[URL="http://www.loopinsight.com/2010/10/13/apple-to-hold-back-to-the-mac-media-event-october-20/“]Confirmed:[/URL] text accompanying the media invite reveals that OS X 10.7 will be previewed at the event. And the use of the word “including” tells me that there will be other announcements.

Aaaaand, cue the off-the-wall predictions!

10-inch, half-pound MacBook Air with a Retina Display and Multi-Touch!

An iMac with Blu-ray and 1080p projector built-in!

The new OS X UI will debut! It's called [insert Cocoa-like name here]!

Gizmodo didn't get an invite! ...er, well.

I'm guessing TRIM support, support for upcoming Sandy Bridge architecture, and maybe full 64-bit finally??

I'm guessing TRIM support, support for upcoming Sandy Bridge architecture, and maybe full 64-bit finally??

I had forgotten about these. But yes, these are another two big areas that 10.6 has been lacking. SB I can do without at the moment because I don't plan to buy new hardware from apple for at least another 2 years, however TRIM support with intel's new gen SSDs coming out means my Macbook is getting a 300GB SSD (assuming the prices are not that of a car payment).

Oh noes my MBP might become old! :p

I'm excited about 10.7, I hope it'll bring about some changes to help gaming performance, and improved multi monitor support would be nice too. I hate how you have to unplug a monitor to stop using it, a software method would be much nicer.

I hate how you have to unplug a monitor to stop using it, a software method would be much nicer.

Are you serious? I would think that the video driver would take care of this at the very least.

Are you serious? I would think that the video driver would take care of this at the very least.

If there's a nicer method, I'd love to know. The people in the Apple Store (Genius) told me unplugging it was the only way.

In Windows, I can disable the monitor easily, but with OS X, I must unplug my monitor.

If there's a nicer method, I'd love to know. The people in the Apple Store (Genius) told me unplugging it was the only way.

In Windows, I can disable the monitor easily, but with OS X, I must unplug my monitor.

Win+P is my friend, one of the most useful keyboard shortcuts in Windows 7 but there has always been a way to manage this with the driver since XP, not sure why this wouldn't be the case with OS X.

Win+P is my friend, one of the most useful keyboard shortcuts in Windows 7 but there has always been a way to manage this with the driver since XP, not sure why this wouldn't be the case with OS X.

Believe me, I've looked many times. OS X doesn't have a software option to switch off the monitor. This is only a minor issue with my macbook pro, but it was a much bigger issue with my dual monitor mac mini.

I'm actually a bit curious if this might signal the end of OSX. I doubt it, but the whole "Out like a Lion" did cross my mind, Maybe OS11 is in our future sooner than a few more point releases?

Believe me, I've looked many times. OS X doesn't have a software option to switch off the monitor. This is only a minor issue with my macbook pro, but it was a much bigger issue with my dual monitor mac mini.

There may not be a keyboard option, but you can use Expose to 'Put the Display to Sleep'.

I'm actually a bit curious if this might signal the end of OSX. I doubt it, but the whole "Out like a Lion" did cross my mind, Maybe OS11 is in our future sooner than a few more point releases?

I don’t expect a release date. The Snow Leopard sneak preview had no release date. It wasn’t until WWDC when we found out a release date and price.

Snow Leopard has a few more updates in it.

If you want to sleep connected displays, you can use Shift+Control+Eject. Pressing a key or moving the mouse will wake the display. You can also achieve this via a Hot Corner.

Apple is having too many press releases lately. It is starting to sound like, hey look a turd, the following month, hey look it is white and the month after that, now it is yellow. What kind of excuse will Jobs come up with this time? Yeh, I know our new product isn´t that great but every one else suck worse. Apple is starting to sound like the jackass politicians in DC.

Apple is having too many press releases lately. It is starting to sound like, hey look a turd, the following month, hey look it is white and the month after that, now it is yellow. What kind of excuse will Jobs come up with this time? Yeh, I know our new product isn´t that great but every one else suck worse. Apple is starting to sound like the jackass politicians in DC.

What are you talking about? Apple has actually reduced the number of presentations they hold per year. They’ve stopped doing Macworld, which means they just do WWDC in June and the annual iPod presentation in September.

Apple holds more shareholder conferences than Steve Jobs presentations.

If you want to sleep connected displays, you can use Shift+Control+Eject. Pressing a key or moving the mouse will wake the display. You can also achieve this via a Hot Corner.

I didn't know about that keyboard shortcut, and seems useful, but that isn't exactly what I meant. That shortcut puts ALL displays to sleep.

In Windows, you can go into display properties and enable/disable connected monitors and the desktop will shift to one monitor if 2 were enabled before.

In OS X, there is no way to disable a connected monitor and shift the desktop to only one monitor.

I hope they will release a tower, mid range specs, expandability/upgradability for around $500-$700.

I hope they will release a tower, mid range specs, expandability/upgradability for around $500-$700.

We are talking about apple right?

But in all seriousness, my big thing is TRIM. The main reason I got rid of my MBP was because I was tired of constantly (read once every month or so) having to repair my SSD. TRIM would be nice. Also the upgraded video drivers, 10.6.4 was a nose dive for those.

The xMac will never happen. Just accept it.

But in all seriousness, my big thing is TRIM. The main reason I got rid of my MBP was because I was tired of constantly (read once every month or so) having to repair my SSD. TRIM would be nice. Also the upgraded video drivers, 10.6.4 was a nose dive for those.

You’ll get one of your two wishes in 10.6.5.

Apple is upgrading GPU drivers with each update. I’d still like to see them fully implement OpenGL on OS X and iOS, but I suppose that will come in time.

I agree with a lot of the speculation in this article.

Lion is going to bring a lot of iOS back to the Mac. We’re going to see revamped user interfaces for Mail, iCal, borrowing from those icon metaphors and UI styles. Everything is going to look much cleaner than before, much like QuickTime X did with its previous version (though I hope not at the cost of power and functionality). But where iOS segregates its functionality into ‘apps’, the Mac will feature a more integrated workflow of its different services. Imagine the Mail app featuring the Address Book and iCal interfaces in one single glorified window. The same addressbook showing up in iChat, ready for FaceTime.

…

The one aspect of OS X that hasn’t received much attention, is the Dashboard. Those webkit based widgets are always out of reach, and though I regularly use some of them, there’s no reason for them to be so isolated from the rest of the system. The Dashboard is probably going to be removed in favour of those ‘apps’ I talked about, or perhaps there’s a way to have them intermingle with the windows on the desktop without cluttering up the workspace. No, I’m not talking about stuffing them in a sidebar.

Anybody know where I will be able to watch the Apple conference on Wednesday live? Is there a place on Apple's website you can view it live? I hate reading the live blogs. Thanks.

Xserve, Snow Leopard Server, and the Mac Mini are all they offer to enterprise, and all they likely will offer to enterprise. Steve Jobs has pulled Apple back from the enterprise arena because there’s more money in the consumer market, and IT offices tend to resist Apple anyway. Why fight a losing battle for a smaller profit?

Not to mention their previous enterprise products just simply sucked.

Never heard of this site before, but they claim to have some exclusive details about Lion.

Most of the supposed changes seem plausible to me, especially the integration of popovers. The “iOS scrolling coming to OS X” point seems strange to me, since it was already brought over. iOS-like scrollbars will be welcome.

They may not be focusing on Enterprise hardware, but they're really pushing Enterprise software support. That's great for those of us in Windows environments that use Macs/iPhones/iPads.

Steve Jobs has pulled Apple back from the enterprise arena because there’s more money in the consumer market, and IT offices tend to resist Apple anyway. Why fight a losing battle for a smaller profit?

There's p.enty off money in the enterprise market with great margins, just not in Apple's core competency. Apple doesn't make standalone software or much business class hardware like high-end servers.

There's p.enty off money in the enterprise market with great margins, just not in Apple's core competency. Apple doesn't make standalone software or much business class hardware like high-end servers.

That’s exactly my point.

Back