Apple: “Back to the Mac” on Oct 20

There's p.enty off money in the enterprise market with great margins, just not in Apple's core competency.

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. They're not going to sell something unless they can sell the whole package. Microsoft gets away with it because they sell software with insanely high profit margins, much higher than any tech company out there.

HP and Dell are the ones that get stuck in the middle, selling hardware with increasingly tighter and tighter profit margins to IT departments that continue to squeeze them harder every year. Apple doesn't want to deal with margin squeezing, especially since they are a hardware company.

Better for them to dominate other markets, and if they can be integrate with enterprise with things like Exchange support, great, that's enough. Aside from that then they can keep selling computers to high end media professionals and consumers.

How stupid is this? Apple's live Stream of today's event is apparently available to be watched by existing Apple users only. As in, it can only be viewed by people who have a Mac already.

HTTP Streaming is in the process of become an IETF standard. Until then, it's only going to work on Apple's stuff, because Apple's the only one to have implemented it.

You can always download the video later.

Apple is a hardware company, not a software company. They're not going to sell something unless they can sell the whole package. Microsoft gets away with it because they sell software with insanely high profit margins, much higher than any tech company out there.

Yes, Microsoft has good margins, IBM's software in the business space is probably even better.

How stupid is this? Apple's live Stream of today's event is apparently available to be watched by existing Apple users only. As in, it can only be viewed by people who have a Mac already.

So far it is just a bunch of consumer crap anyway.

This is either your first Stevenote or you’re just agitating.

Yep, you’re just agitating.

Not agitating, just waiting for something non-silly. Like OSX, which is lagging IMO.

I have been in person for a few keynotes back in the day.

Wow, look at the air without batteries.

air-wo-battery.jpg

Pretty impressive.

They are available today, so get on craigslist now and snap up the "old" ones the fanboys dump... lol.

I would love one to live in my laptop bag for when I do not want to break out the heavy guns.

Well, unless you need a larger hard drive, the 13" Macbook Pro doesn't make so much sense to me anymore. Solid state storage (!!!!!), instant on, under 3 lbs, super thin, higher resolution screen, and the same 320M GPU, all in the same price range as the 13" MBP.

I want the 11.6" air. Looks like a hot device, perfect for toting to class every day.

Yeah, I'd rather have a $300 netbook or a 13.3" MBP, the air makes no sense to me, personally.

A $1000 Apple Netbook... no thanks, there are far better alternatives out there with far better battery life and of course, for far less money. Funny, I could have sworn Apple swore up and down - or at least Steve Jobs did - that they would never produce anything in that class of product.

My how things change.

A $1000 Apple Netbook... no thanks, there are far better alternatives out there with far better battery life and of course, for far less money. Funny, I could have sworn Apple swore up and down - or at least Steve Jobs did - that they would never produce anything in that class of product.

My how things change.

Netbooks don't have full size keyboards, GPUs at that class, 100% solid state storage, or displays at that resolution.

Netbooks don't have full size keyboards, GPUs at that class, 100% solid state storage, or displays at that resolution.

Nor are netbooks this thin and light, have large multitouch glass trackpad, larger internal battery, etc

My how things change.

Except, it's actually more like an M11x then a netbook. 1.4 C2D ULV with a SSD and lighter then many netbooks. Granted, it's a slower ULV, only 2gb ram (but OSX does tend to be more memory efficient), but it's also 2ish lbs lighter then an m11x, and a good deal thinner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really interested, but actually call it what it is, instead of what you think it should be.

Buying myself one of the 11.6 airs once I get paid thursday. I have been looking for a 10/11 inch netbook with decent price/performance ratio. The 128GB version of the 11.6 I think has that balance almost perfectly (not to mention the education discount is going to help).

EDIT: Netbook isn't really the correct term. Basically I need something small to take with me into racks and has better then 2 hours of battery life, but is still powerful enough to run whatever I need. I was previously looking at the lenovo x100e, but think that the MBA will be a better fit for me.

Well, unless you need a larger hard drive, the 13" Macbook Pro doesn't make so much sense to me anymore. Solid state storage (!!!!!), instant on, under 3 lbs, super thin, higher resolution screen, and the same 320M GPU, all in the same price range as the 13" MBP.
No Firewire, though. I'd need Firewire, which the 13" MBP has.

I expect the next MBPs to have the better screens, but it's not just a larger hard drive that gives the 13 MBP any sort of advantage. You can put in twice the RAM and get faster CPUs.

As far as everything else shown off, I'll be interested in checking out the new iLife applications, though I really only use iPhoto and iMovie. As far as Lion is concerned, I'm not sure I like some of the directions they're taking, though full screen applications is definitely nice IMO. I'm not sure I'll like the Launcher and how they seem to be moving more towards iOS with that, an App store, etc. We'll see.

Except, it's actually more like an M11x then a netbook. 1.4 C2D ULV with a SSD and lighter then many netbooks. Granted, it's a slower ULV, only 2gb ram (but OSX does tend to be more memory efficient), but it's also 2ish lbs lighter then an m11x, and a good deal thinner.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really interested, but actually call it what it is, instead of what you think it should be.

Great analysis.

My only concern is the RAM, OS X likes memory. That said, the fact that everything is SSD may offset the 2GB RAM in practical usage. The Macbook Airs that I have tried never seemed sluggish to me, and those were with slow mechanical hard drives.

Was there any mention for TRIM support in Lion?

Not that I heard. They didn't really talk about any of the inner workings, or guts of the OS, and just really only talked about the LaunchPad, full screen apps, mission control (replaces expose, spaces, etc.), and the upcoming app store. Everything they mentioned you can see here and unless I missed something they didn't talk about anything else. Pretty much UI features.

I expect the next MBPs to have the better screens, but it's not just a larger hard drive that gives the 13 MBP any sort of advantage. You can put in twice the RAM and get faster CPUs.

The CPU is kind of a non-issue given how most people use computers these days. We crossed the threshold of "fast enough" for general desktop use years ago. Games and high end pro apps are obviously another thing, but that's what beefier notebooks and desktops are for, not 2-3lb notebooks.

As far as Lion is concerned, I'm not sure I like some of the directions they're taking, though full screen applications is definitely nice IMO. I'm not sure I'll like the Launcher and how they seem to be moving more towards iOS with that, an App store, etc. We'll see.

I really like the addition of more gesture functionality into the OS. App switching in particular seemed very cool.

I think the App Store is inevitable. I've already used similar functionality for years with Steam and the Ubuntu package manager. This just integrates it with a standard OS. As an option to install and maintain applications, I like it a lot. Look for Microsoft to release an inferior version in a few years.

Man it would be great if Valve opened up Steam to applications outside of games. They already have the infrastructure and framework for it, they just need to get publishers and developers on board.

Back